Windows 10: Add "Run in Sandbox" options on Windows 10

Discus and support Add "Run in Sandbox" options on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/pr0_c0d3 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i6rzwt/add_run_in_sandbox_options_on_windows_10/ Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/pr0_c0d3, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Add "Run in Sandbox" options on Windows 10

/u/pr0_c0d3, Aug 9, 2020
  2. Naresh_K Win User

windows sandbox Not working

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

There is a possibility that the feature is corrupted or not set up properly. I would advise you to disable Windows Sandbox first and then enable it. Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Open Control Panel.
    2. Then click on all Control Panel Items.
    3. Then click on Programs and features.
    4. Then on the left hand side, click on Turn Windows features on or off.
    5. Then uncheck the option: Windows Sandbox.
    6. Then restart your computer.
    7. After restart, please enable it and check if the sandbox is working.

Also make sure that you meet all the requirements for Windows Sandbox.

Regards,

Naresh_K, Aug 9, 2020
  3. Naresh_K Win User
    Microsoft sandbox stoped working

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please be informed that our developer team is aware of the issues with Sandbox and is working on resolving it. We do not have an ETA as of now, however I encourage you to send a feedback to our developer team via
    Feedback hub. As a suggestion you can try disabling and enabling
    the sandbox to check if that works. Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Open Control Panel.
    2. Then click on all Control Panel Items.
    3. Then click on Programs and features.
    4. Then on the left hand side, click on Turn Windows features on or off.
    5. Then uncheck the option: Windows Sandbox.
    6. Then restart your computer.
    7. After restart, please enable it and check if the sandbox is working.

Also make sure that you meet all the requirements for Windows Sandbox.
    Your patience and understanding will be appreciated in this matter.

Regards

Naresh_K, Aug 9, 2020
  4. Add "Run in Sandbox" options on Windows 10

QUESTION: MS Word 2013 - Possible to run PORTABLE + SANDBOXED?

Dear Members:

FYI: I have annotated #Bo.Elam notes to improve visual acuity to facilitate my study and implementation.
    I hope these may proves helpful to anyone else interested in these excellent recommendations and instructions from Bo.

Positively,~ Alan

P.S. Please forgive excess vertical spacing between paragraphs... does NOT provide WYSWYG formatting control.

QUESTION: MS Word 2013 - Possible to run PORTABLE + SANDBOXED?

Post - » 27 Jun 2018 at 03:23 PM

• Would it be possible to provide explicit instructions as a reference...
    • How to create a dedicated sandbox for Libre

Post - bo.elam » 27 Jun 2018 at 09:59 PM [annotated by AB]

• To create a new sandbox
    • go to Sandboxie control>Sandbox>Create new sandbox >
    • in the screen that opens... option to name the new sandbox as you wish.
    • Since this sandbox is going to be your dedicated Libre Office sandbox, name it Libre.
    • You also have the option to either copy settings from existing sandboxes or not to >
    • choose None.

• The sandbox you created comes with default settings.
    • In a default settings sandbox, all programs that attempt to start and run in the sandbox can run... can have access to the internet... have access to all files and folders in your system.

• Next step is to restrict what programs are allowed to do in the sandbox.
    • ... new sandbox restrict it as tight as possible without losing any usability... I try to achieve a balance between usability and security and always get it done.
    • So, in the end, I am always able to run programs in the sandbox same as if I was not using Sandboxie... If you set a sandbox correctly, the interaction between sandboxed programs and the non sandboxed environment should be flawless.

Libre is:

• very easy to setup to run properly in the sandboxed environment.
    • With a few changes to default settings you can set a very secure sandbox for Libre without losing usability.

1. Make soffice.bin a Forced program.

• ... any Office file that runs in the system, will run sandboxed automatically in the Libre Office.
    • It makes sandboxing automatic
    • No thinking required to sandbox files.

• go to Sandbox settings in your Libre Office sandbox >
    • Sandbox settings>Program Start>Forced programs >
    • click Add program >
    • ... navigate to soffice.bin
    • ... select it and add it >
    • or you can write it in the block there for that purpose.

2. In this step, you restrict programs that can run.

• Once you add programs in this restriction tab, this will be the only programs allowed to run in the Libre sandbox.
    • Any other program that attempts to run, it will be blocked.

For Calc, Writer, Impress, etc, to run in the sandbox, allow:

• soffice.bin
    • soffice.exe
    • dllhost.exe

• You really dont have to allow dllhost but for a more seamless interaction between SBIE and the non sandboxed system I recommend you allow it to run.

So, go here to add the [3] exes I wrote above:

• Sandbox settings>Restrictions>Start/Run access
    • click Add program
    • select [3] exes

3. Internet access.
    Since you don't need Office files to have access to the internet and Libre doesnt require it to work properly, for security

• disallow all programs from having access to the internet.

• Sandbox settings>Restrictions>Internet access
    • click Block all programs
    • Once you do this, there is no phoning home.

4. Drop rights. This setting is helpful if you run your system as an Administrator. I do, so I use it.

• This setting strips Administrator rights from programs running in this sandbox.
    • So, if something malicious gets to run, it can't install anything in the sandboxed environment.
    • Sandbox settings>Restrictions>Drop rights
    • click this option.

5. Another important setting you want to implement are the ones that help you protect your sensitive files and folders from being stolen.

• Remember, by default, sandboxed programs can read all files and programs that are in the system.
    • So, you want to block sandboxed programs from accessing your sensitive files and folders.
    • We already disallowed all programs:
      • that run in the Libre sandbox from having internet access
      • restricted to a few the programs allowed to run
      • so even if your personal files and folders are accessed, the chances an infected Office file steals your files and phone home are close to none.
    • But even so, this is a great setting that keeps your files from getting stolen.
      • This setting is more important in sandboxes where you allow access to the internet, like your browsers sandboxes.

To restrict access to files and folders, go here:

Sandbox settings>Resource access>File access>Blocked access

• click Add for navigating to select the files and folders you like to block sandboxed programs from having access/read.

There are other setting related to access but you can start with the one above.

6. Set the sandbox to delete on closing sandboxed programs.

• Sandbox settings>Delete>Delete Invocation
    • tick Automatically delete contents of the sandbox

7. Saving files you create or Edit in the sandbox.

• For convenience, you want to be able to save files.
    • ... when you delete contents of the sandbox, the only changes that will survive deletion made by sandboxed programs of the sandbox are the ones you allow.
    • Like for example, an edit you do to an Excel file...
      • if you would like to save that change, you save it.
      • If you dont want to save the change, you dont save it when you get the SBIE prompt to do it after you close sandboxed programs.

• In my case, I only save Office files to the desktop. So I add Desktop in the tab below.
      • Sandboxie will save files only to the folders you add in Quick recovery:
      • Sandbox settings>Recovery>Quick recovery

Thank you again, #bo.elam !

ab1kenobee, Aug 9, 2020
Thema:

Add "Run in Sandbox" options on Windows 10

1. Add "Run in Sandbox" options on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Add Run Sandbox

2. Windows Sandbox - Optional Features - Missing Services

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Sandbox - Optional Features - Missing Services: Hi,we are currently deploying the sandbox globally to be used as a connection machine with various VPN clients.This would be the ideal scenario for sandbox usage to protect our environments. Now we have the issue that various VPN Clients are not working as specific services...
  3. Windows Sandbox - Optional Features - Missing Services

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Sandbox - Optional Features - Missing Services: Hi,we are currently deploying the sandbox globally to be used as a connection machine with various VPN clients.This would be the ideal scenario for sandbox usage to protect our environments. Now we have the issue that various VPN Clients are not working as specific services...
  4. Windows Sandbox - how to run Defender inside?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Sandbox - how to run Defender inside?: NOTE: a previous similar question was answered incorrectly and that thread is now locked. This is not a question about running defender in sandbox mode.This question pertains to the Windows 11 feature: Windows Sandbox.One use of a sandbox is to go to URL's you not sure are...
  5. Windows Sandbox - how to run Defender inside?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Sandbox - how to run Defender inside?: NOTE: a previous similar question was answered incorrectly and that thread is now locked. This is not a question about running defender in sandbox mode.This question pertains to the Windows 11 feature: Windows Sandbox.One use of a sandbox is to go to URL's you not sure are...
  6. Run antivirus on Windows Sandbox

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Run antivirus on Windows Sandbox: I'm trying to test a program with malware for some things, tho I would need to use Windows Defender to scan the whole pc. As the "virus and threat protection" tab doesn't show up I have no way of scanning the sandbox, how could I scan it and if possible, make it that...
  7. Add Run item to the Sandbox Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Add Run item to the Sandbox Context Menu in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Windows offers the Sandbox feature, which is perfect for testing out applications you don’t trust. However, testing them with Sandbox is not straight forward. You […] This article Add Run item to the Sandbox Context Menu in Windows 10 first appeared on...
  8. Add "Run in Sandbox" options on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Add "Run in Sandbox" options on Windows 10: Run in Sandbox is a useful PowerShell script that Windows 10 administrators may use to add options to run executable files, zip archives, and scripts, in the Windows 10 sandbox. Microsoft introduced Windows Sandbox in late 2018 as a way for administrators to run content in...
  9. RUN option in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    RUN option in Windows 10: Hi, is it possible to disable the file paths history that is shown in the RUN option? submitted by /u/DevilLeech [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hg94fk/run_option_in_windows_10/
  10. Windows Sandbox can't run PowerShell?!?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Sandbox can't run PowerShell?!?: When running in Windows Sandbox I can't run any PowerShell scripts at all. I get an error that states that, "Version v4.0.30319 of the .NET Framework is not installed and it is required to run version 3 of Windows PowerShell." and I have .net version 4.8.03752 installed on...