Windows 10: Add virtual ram to memory

Discus and support Add virtual ram to memory in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, On my desktop I have a 16 Gb pagefile and 16Gb of ram which gives 32 Gb of memory. On my laptop I have tried to change the pagefile size to 18 Gb... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Pierre Doré, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Add virtual ram to memory

Hi,

On my desktop I have a 16 Gb pagefile and 16Gb of ram which gives 32 Gb of memory.

On my laptop I have tried to change the pagefile size to 18 Gb to get 24 Gb of memory with my 6 Gb ram.

My pagefile is 18 Gb as showned in explorer C directory but my ram is still only 6 Gb.

So what did I do wrong or did not do to be unable to expand the memory on my laptop?

Pierre

:)

Pierre Doré, Jun 25, 2020
  2. echo75 Win User

Turn of Virtual memory?

if you google it , lots of litrature suggest turning of Page file (virtual memory) if you have enough RAM for example like i have 4GB with Win XP and have almost 1 GB reserve.

They claim that because the CPU can acess the RAM faster than it can acess the virtual memory in the hrd disk your system will be faster.

What do you guys think?

echo75, Jun 25, 2020
  3. virtual memory in windows 10 is broken?!

1-Virtual memory will never make your computer faster. It may in fact slow it down. RAM is always faster than virtual memory (page file)

2-The page file size is of little importance. General wisdom suggests making it 1.5 times installed ram. BUT AGAIN whether you have 20Mb of virtual memory or 20,000 Mb of it you computer speed will be the same. YOu may be able to run more things at the
    same time but you cannot make your computer faster through it

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jun 25, 2020
  4. Add virtual ram to memory

Issues with total memory size of dedicated available RAM

Hello Gevorg,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community an we regret for the inconvenience.

From the description provided, I understand that the motherboard you are using has 4 DIMM slots which supports up to 8 GB of dedicated RAM.

To be able to understand the issue better. let us know how are you viewing the total memory size of dedicated available RAM in your PC.

Now, in one case, if you are using more than one module of RAM, and the frequencies at which they operate are not the same. There will be two outcomes:

• The modules will conflict in terms of DIMM frequencies and it will declare memory failure.
    • Instead of downclocking one or more RAM/s, the motherboard will reject the ones from being accepted.

In order to ascertain if the hardware is correctly configured, I suggest you to check the system information in the BIOS settings. Refer to the manufacturer provided manual to know more about on how to access the BIOS settings.

In another scenario, your computer may also be allocating part of your RAM to other hardware modules, such as your network hardware.

As a secondary workout, I suggest you to increase the Virtual Memory and check if it helps. Follow the steps below.

• Click Windows key + R to open the RUN command utility and type
      msconfig.exe, then press ENTER.

• Click on Boot option and select advanced options.

• Check the maximum memory box and change the value accordingly.

• Click on Apply and Ok to save changes and click Restart the computer.

Hope the above information is helpful.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Jun 25, 2020
Thema:

Add virtual ram to memory

1. Add virtual ram to memory - Similar Threads - Add virtual ram

2. Too much virtual memory on a 6GB ram PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Too much virtual memory on a 6GB ram PC: Hi, I'm Sakib from Bangladesh. I'm using Windows 10 for years. I'm spotting a thing, Windows is automatically generating 11.8GB of virtual memory on my pc with 6GB of physical memory. And it looks like it is slowed my pc down a little. It even takes a minimum of 5 seconds to...
  3. Too much virtual memory on a 6GB ram PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Too much virtual memory on a 6GB ram PC: Hi, I'm Sakib from Bangladesh. I'm using Windows 10 for years. I'm spotting a thing, Windows is automatically generating 11.8GB of virtual memory on my pc with 6GB of physical memory. And it looks like it is slowed my pc down a little. It even takes a minimum of 5 seconds to...
  4. Too much virtual memory on a 6GB ram PC

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Out of Memory - Programs using Virtual Memory but not that much on RAM...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Out of Memory - Programs using Virtual Memory but not that much on RAM...: Recently (less than two weeks ago - suspiciously after the update to Windows 2004), my 16gb Windows 10 machine is throwing "Out of Memory" errors, specially in games - even if they are something like a 2D platformer: after a while I get the events 2004 and 26 (both regarding...
  6. i wanna add virtual memory .

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    i wanna add virtual memory .: can i add more than recommended virtual ram https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-wanna-add-virtual-memory/a203a4d6-7ea9-400f-8ee9-ee6eda7c233d
  7. Can Virtual Memory be used for lack of RAM in gaming?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Can Virtual Memory be used for lack of RAM in gaming?: I have a 16 GB RAM machine, and a couple of weeks ago, I bought the new Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. It has been known so far to utilize up to 24GB of available RAM in PCs that have that much RAM installed. Is it possible to double, triple, or even quadruple my RAM using...
  8. Can Virtual Memory be used for lack of RAM in gaming?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can Virtual Memory be used for lack of RAM in gaming?: I have a 16 GB RAM machine, and a couple of weeks ago, I bought the new Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. It has been known so far to utilize up to 24GB of available RAM in PCs that have that much RAM installed. Is it possible to double, triple, or even quadruple my RAM using...
  9. Virtual memory fix for 8gb ram

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Virtual memory fix for 8gb ram: I m using acer aspire 5 8 gb varient what is the best paging file size for pubg emulator..... Plz help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-memory-fix-for-8gb-ram/68fb864a-6eaa-49bb-8517-4875c9f369ce
  10. Virtual RAM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Virtual RAM: Apart from Ready Boost is there any way I can increase the RAM on my ACER I5 4GB running Windows10 by an additional 4GB RAM as I am wanting to play games which require 8GB RAM https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-ram/adf69f61-1c3f-4dca-9ef9-b144480d2a4d