Windows 10: Added a monitor, display resolution changes when laptop lid closed.

Discus and support Added a monitor, display resolution changes when laptop lid closed. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I just bought a new monitor (LG 27"), and at the moment I have the screens duplicated. Both are showing resolution of 3840 x 2160, and life is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by sjbdtz1, May 15, 2019.

1. sjbdtz1 Win User

Added a monitor, display resolution changes when laptop lid closed.

I just bought a new monitor (LG 27"), and at the moment I have the screens duplicated.

Both are showing resolution of 3840 x 2160, and life is wonderful.

Occasionally I'd like to close the laptop lid, OR at least go to screen 2 only (neck issues - trying to train myself to look UP, not down),

but when I change from Duplicate to Screen 2 Only, screen 2 changes to 1960 x 1080, and doesn't allow me the option to change back.

I can get back to 3840x2160 by duplicating screens again.

Any thoughts? Win10. NVidia Graphics card.

Thanks,

Stephen

:)

sjbdtz1, May 15, 2019
  2. (MasonM) Win User

Close lid, extend display stays extended.

o I just got a small TV that I am using as a second monitor and have connected my Laptop to using an HDMI cable and want to make it so if I shut my lid the second monitor will stay extended instead of making it the primary display as if the laptop is
    not there anymore. I can get this to work some of the time, but most of the time if I close my lid it will act as if the secondary display is now the primary display. Plugged in I have the power setting set so if I close the lid nothing happens. I'm not sure
    why the sudden change and would love to be able to be able to close my lid as there is an obvious size/resolution difference between the two.

(MasonM), May 15, 2019
  3. Laptop screen resolution changes when lid closes

I have a Toshiba Qosmio X775 with an NVidia GTX 560M adapter. The system originally had Windows 7 and was upgraded to Windows 10 last year. Late 2016, Windows update stopped working and would no longer update Windows or MS apps. To attempt to fix this,
    I installed the WIndows 10 anniversary edition. Since this update, when I close the lib on my laptop, the screen resolution changes and all my windows are shrunk and stuffed to the upper left corner of my display. My resolution is set to the default (recommended)
    resolution of 1920x1080. My system settings are set to "Do Nothing" when the lid is closed when plugged in and on battery. What else can be changed to fix this back so it wont mess up my display when I close the lid?

Steve Yates, May 15, 2019
  4. ekeda Win User

Laptop, Dual Display, Lag with closed lid

Hi,

I just bought some monitor to use with my Dell laptop and connected it through the HDMI port of the second graphics display. The problem is that when I close the lid, the laptop automatically turns off the laptop display and stops using the internal video card which leads to minor lag when using the new monitor with only the second graphics display being active.

Obviously the solutions are:
    1) Somehow force the internal video card to still be used
    2) Stop the turning off of the laptop display when the lid is closed (I don't have such option in control panel -> power options)

Any ideas how to go fix this besides not closing the lid at all?

ekeda, May 15, 2019
Thema:

1. Added a monitor, display resolution changes when laptop lid closed. - Similar Threads - Added monitor display

2. Using External Monitors with lid closed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Using External Monitors with lid closed: I had my set up work before. I have a laptop and 2 monitors. One monitor is connected via VGA cord and the other via HDMI. When I shut the lid of the laptop the monitor connected via VGA disconnects and wants to go into power saving mode, like if the computer went to...
  3. Laptop, Dual Display, Lag with closed lid

Laptop, Dual Display, Lag with closed lid: Hi, I just bought some monitor to use with my Dell laptop and connected it through the HDMI port of the second graphics display. The problem is that when I close the lid, the laptop automatically turns off the laptop display and stops using the internal video card which...
  4. Do nothing when the lid is closed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Do nothing when the lid is closed: I have an laptop with a tv as an monitor. My question is, Can i perform an feature update, with the power option do nothing when the lid is closed? Or do i have to keep the lid open all the time...
  5. Laptop turning off when closing lid

Laptop turning off when closing lid: Hi I've just set up my laptop and monitor via a docking station so I can work from home with a larger screen. however when I shut my laptop it seems to close down and therefore I can't project the screen. I know there is a way of stopping it from doing this but I've gone...
  6. External Monitor goes out of range when I close the laptop lid.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Monitor goes out of range when I close the laptop lid.: I have connected an external monitor to my laptop (windows 10). When I keep the laptop open, it works fine. The refresh rate is 60 Hz and resolution on both of them automatically gets set to 1360x768. But if I select 'Use only monitor 2' in display settings, or if I close the...
  7. Lock laptop when lid is closed

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Lock laptop when lid is closed: Hello, Please add to Windows 10 the option to "lock on lid close". Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/lock-laptop-when-lid-is-closed/c9798949-35f4-46f1-afeb-fbf7b2be39c1"
  8. Close laptop lid - external monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Close laptop lid - external monitor: I have a laptop monitor and an external monitor and set things up so the display is extended On my old Windows 10 laptop, when I shut the lid of the laptop, all the windows on that screen would just move to external monitor. My new laptop (Asus) does not do this and the...
  9. All apps close when I close laptop lid - why?

in Windows 10 Support
    All apps close when I close laptop lid - why?: The Low battery action is set to Hibernate, and Battery notification is On for both battery and plugged in modes. Mike
  10. Closing my laptop lid

in Windows 10 Support
    Closing my laptop lid: Hello, I'm new to windows 10, just had it installed last week and so far, I like it. A problem I'm running into is when I close the lid on my laptop and then open it again after a while, it shuts down and goes to the hp screen. What I would like is, when I close the lid and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. added another monitor but now primary monitor resolution jumping

2. when i close dell latitude laptop my external monitor changes resolution