Windows 10: Added a monitor, display resolution changes when laptop lid closed.

Discus and support Added a monitor, display resolution changes when laptop lid closed. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I just bought a new monitor (LG 27"), and at the moment I have the screens duplicated. Both are showing resolution of 3840 x 2160, and life is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by sjbdtz1, May 15, 2019.

1. sjbdtz1 Win User

Added a monitor, display resolution changes when laptop lid closed.

I just bought a new monitor (LG 27"), and at the moment I have the screens duplicated.

Both are showing resolution of 3840 x 2160, and life is wonderful.

Occasionally I'd like to close the laptop lid, OR at least go to screen 2 only (neck issues - trying to train myself to look UP, not down),

but when I change from Duplicate to Screen 2 Only, screen 2 changes to 1960 x 1080, and doesn't allow me the option to change back.

I can get back to 3840x2160 by duplicating screens again.

Any thoughts? Win10. NVidia Graphics card.

Thanks,

Stephen

:)

sjbdtz1, May 15, 2019
  2. (MasonM) Win User

Close lid, extend display stays extended.

o I just got a small TV that I am using as a second monitor and have connected my Laptop to using an HDMI cable and want to make it so if I shut my lid the second monitor will stay extended instead of making it the primary display as if the laptop is
    not there anymore. I can get this to work some of the time, but most of the time if I close my lid it will act as if the secondary display is now the primary display. Plugged in I have the power setting set so if I close the lid nothing happens. I'm not sure
    why the sudden change and would love to be able to be able to close my lid as there is an obvious size/resolution difference between the two.

(MasonM), May 15, 2019
  3. Laptop screen resolution changes when lid closes

I have a Toshiba Qosmio X775 with an NVidia GTX 560M adapter. The system originally had Windows 7 and was upgraded to Windows 10 last year. Late 2016, Windows update stopped working and would no longer update Windows or MS apps. To attempt to fix this,
    I installed the WIndows 10 anniversary edition. Since this update, when I close the lib on my laptop, the screen resolution changes and all my windows are shrunk and stuffed to the upper left corner of my display. My resolution is set to the default (recommended)
    resolution of 1920x1080. My system settings are set to "Do Nothing" when the lid is closed when plugged in and on battery. What else can be changed to fix this back so it wont mess up my display when I close the lid?

Steve Yates, May 15, 2019
  4. ekeda Win User

Laptop, Dual Display, Lag with closed lid

Hi,

I just bought some monitor to use with my Dell laptop and connected it through the HDMI port of the second graphics display. The problem is that when I close the lid, the laptop automatically turns off the laptop display and stops using the internal video card which leads to minor lag when using the new monitor with only the second graphics display being active.

Obviously the solutions are:
    1) Somehow force the internal video card to still be used
    2) Stop the turning off of the laptop display when the lid is closed (I don't have such option in control panel -> power options)

Any ideas how to go fix this besides not closing the lid at all?

ekeda, May 15, 2019
Thema:

1. Added a monitor, display resolution changes when laptop lid closed. - Similar Threads - Added monitor display

2. Keep external monitors on when laptop lid is closed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keep external monitors on when laptop lid is closed: I use 2 external monitors and when I was setting up my ThinkPad - I do not see where I can have the external monitors stay on once I close the laptop lid. I have Windows Pro 11....
  3. Keep external monitors on when laptop lid is closed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keep external monitors on when laptop lid is closed: I use 2 external monitors and when I was setting up my ThinkPad - I do not see where I can have the external monitors stay on once I close the laptop lid. I have Windows Pro 11....
  4. Time Zone changing when laptop lid is closed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Time Zone changing when laptop lid is closed: The time changes to EST from MST every time my laptop lid is closed. How can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/time-zone-changing-when-laptop-lid-is-closed/2a1f0705-c074-42d3-a565-628bedd6549e
  5. Apps closing when laptop lid is closed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Apps closing when laptop lid is closed: I recently purchased a Microsoft Surface and all my open apps force close when the laptop lid has been closed overnight. I've checked all previous solutions posted on this site and nothing works. Very Annoying, can someone help resolve asap? ? It really shouldn't be this...
  6. Display resolution on monitor changing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Display resolution on monitor changing: When I use "Extend" when after pressing Win + P, my monitor resolution is fine. But then when I close the laptop lid or make it "Second screen only" the resolution becomes worse. Not really sure how it started or when but I am sure it wasn't always like this. I will attach a...
  7. Laptop - Closing lid disables monitor, extended display resolution changes

Laptop - Closing lid disables monitor, extended display resolution changes: I mainly work on a laptop and have it connected to a monitor at all times. On my extended monitor I usually have Youtube, Netflix, or whatever media platform playing. If I close the lid for whatever reason, the extended monitor's resolution changes, and all my work from my...
  8. Monitor settings when close laptop lid

Monitor settings when close laptop lid: Hi, I usually connect a secondary monitor to my laptop and close the lid. This worked fine until today. When I close the lid the monitor indicates that the source settings are higher than it can handle and it indicates me to change them to 1600x900 60Hz. However, I can't do...
  9. Laptop closes programes when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop closes programes when lid is closed: This past few days whenever i close the laptop lid with the laptop is still on whenever i later return to the laptop open the lid all programes that i had opened even the web browser are closed, anyone offer any help to fix this so that all programs that were opened remain...
  10. Close laptop lid - external monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Close laptop lid - external monitor: I have a laptop monitor and an external monitor and set things up so the display is extended On my old Windows 10 laptop, when I shut the lid of the laptop, all the windows on that screen would just move to external monitor. My new laptop (Asus) does not do this and the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. screen size changes when close laptop lid

2. what happens when laptop lid is shut

3. tv display resolution changes when laptop lid closed

4. monitor resolution change when laptop closes,
  5. close lid dell external monitor changes size,
  6. laptop screen changes when add another monitor,
  7. masonm,
  8. monitor changes resolution after closing laptop lid,
  9. what happens if i connect a laptop of 1920x1080 to a monitor of 1600x900 pixels using hdmi?,
  10. Screen resolution changes on external monitor when closing lap top lid,
  11. added another monitor but now primary monitor resolution jumping,
  12. when i close dell latitude laptop my external monitor changes resolution