Windows 10: Added a new user account to computer

Discus and support Added a new user account to computer in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; "there is no task manager" r-click a blank area in taskbar, select 'Task manager' then, if not already there, click 'More details' then Processes... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by rboppy, Jan 18, 2018.

1. mrgeek Win User

Added a new user account to computer

"there is no task manager"

r-click a blank area in taskbar, select 'Task manager' then, if not already there, click 'More details' then Processes tab and 'End task' (looks like you're in a browser window) there. Just confirm, do you see your local account username listed in C:/Users ? If so, your Local account is fine and your personal folders should be there.

mrgeek, Jan 18, 2018
  2. rboppy Win User

I kinda misspoke, there is no task bar, r-clicking all four edges of the screen did nothing. From my wife's account I can see the my user account has been created and all the personal folders are there.

rboppy, Jan 18, 2018
  3. mrgeek Win User
    "there is no task bar, r-clicking all four edges of the screen did nothing. "

Your display resolution is out of whack, which is why you can't see the edges on your screenshot, incl the'X' button in upper r-corner. Hit Win+D to go to desktop, r-click a blank area, then Display settings and change the resolution higher or to 'Recommended'. You have it set too low to magnify everything which is why the corners and bottom are missing.

mrgeek, Jan 18, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

Sounds like it's in Tablet Mode (which would also account for Photos being full-screen). The WinKey should switch to the Start screen with a taskbar, but in Tablet Mode you don't get 'task manager' as an option with a right-click on the taskbar. Instead, if you can see the tablet mode's Start screen, just type Task Manager to find and run it.

If the WinKey doesn't work, try Ctrl+Esc which should also bring up Start.

If that doesn't work, try WinKey+R. If you can get the 'Run' box to show, type and run taskmgr

5. rboppy Win User
    No start screen, winkey did nothing as well as ctrl+esc and winkey+r, nada.

rboppy, Jan 19, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    You appear to be stuck with Photos open and occupying the whole screen. Any app should (if windows is working at all) close with Alt+F4. Photos certainly will on a system that's functioning normally.

If by some miracle that closes Photos you may still be left with a Start menu that's non-functional. If so, you can close Windows by clicking on the desktop and using Alt+F4 again (it's the universal 'close' key).

7. rboppy Win User
    No miracles here, my only hope is that when I delete this user and add a new one it will work correctly.

rboppy, Jan 19, 2018
  8. rboppy Win User

Yep, worked just fine.

rboppy, Jan 20, 2018
  9. Bree New Member
    *Thumbs

Sometimes the only thing you can do with a corrupted user profile is delete it and start again. Lucky this was a freshly created user, no user files or settings needed rescuing.

Thema:

1. Added a new user account to computer - Similar Threads - Added user account

2. Adding new users to Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adding new users to Windows: I have a new to me desktop that was running Windows 10. I have tried to add additional users but the Settings option refused to let me and said I had to use Control Panel. I tried that but it just sent me back to Settings which told me I had to use Control Panel................
  3. Adding new users to Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adding new users to Windows: I have a new to me desktop that was running Windows 10. I have tried to add additional users but the Settings option refused to let me and said I had to use Control Panel. I tried that but it just sent me back to Settings which told me I had to use Control Panel................
  4. Problem adding new "User" account in Win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem adding new "User" account in Win 11: Hi,I am trying to add my wife as a new "User" on a brand new 2 days old Dell Optiplex PC running Windows 11 and am getting this crazy error message: This is totally impossible, as I am the only "User" registered so far.Trying to think outside of the box, although it sounds...
  5. Problem adding new "User" account in Win 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem adding new "User" account in Win 11: Hi,I am trying to add my wife as a new "User" on a brand new 2 days old Dell Optiplex PC running Windows 11 and am getting this crazy error message: This is totally impossible, as I am the only "User" registered so far.Trying to think outside of the box, although it sounds...
  6. Adding New User, Account Is Corrupted

in Windows 10 Customization
    Adding New User, Account Is Corrupted: When I create a new user account, the desktop is corrupted.The start menu has a transparent background so items are unreadableSettings Home screen is OK but and option is unusable. most sections of a sub page randomly flash background colours, predominantly transparent.I have...
  7. Unknown user account on new computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unknown user account on new computer: I have bought my wife a laptop and a desktop over the past year and both have created an admin account named “carol” but we do not have access to this account. my wife’s name is not carol but both computers have the same admin account. Has anyone else had this issue? The...
  8. Problems with adding a new user account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Problems with adding a new user account: Following a fresh reinstall of Windows 10 I've repeatedly added a family member as an account user on the PC. Each time after getting the usual "Please wait" and "We're sorting it" messages the new user desktop opens with a message saying there is not enough disk space -...
  9. Adding new user problems

Adding new user problems: Whenever I add a new user, some of the elements of Windows 10 don't work properly. For instance, the Start Menu does not pop up, or either the right click or the left click works but not both, Also some apps like Weather try to start but immediately shut off. Even the...
  10. Problem added new user

Problem added new user: I'm going to give my computer to my wife so I added her as a new user. First on her W10 computer she's not signed in through her Microsoft account, just her name and a random password, upgraded from Windows 7. Wasn't able to use that, Windows requires a Microsoft...