Windows 10: added new power supply and new motherboard battery. Now shows each hard drive twice!

Discus and support added new power supply and new motherboard battery. Now shows each hard drive twice! in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I just replaced my power supply and replaced the motherboard battery. I have a Dell XPS435MT. Now the two drives are shown twice as C: E: and D: F:!... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JamesBolster, Mar 14, 2019.

1. added new power supply and new motherboard battery. Now shows each hard drive twice!

I just replaced my power supply and replaced the motherboard battery. I have a Dell XPS435MT. Now the two drives are shown twice as C: E: and D: F:!

Anyone know why and how this can be fixed?

:)

JamesBolster, Mar 14, 2019
  2. ASH
    Ash Win User

Understanding Meaning of Power Indicator Blinks for Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 Motherboard

For random shutdowns there are two things I would strongly suspect: the power supply, or overheating.

I can't find any information on the Value Top 450W, but based on images I'd suggest it's a very old style -- most likely terrible quality -- PSU that shouldn't be used in a nice new machine.

If you have access to a spare power supply, I'd suggest trying that. Regardless I'd consider buying a new decent quality power supply, as I don't think I'd trust the Value Top one myself.

To check if your CPU is overheating, download a tool like HwMon and see what it says. Temps should be around 30-40 degrees at idle, and no more than 60-70 under load.

The other candidates I can think of are:

• Motherboard. You can try resetting the CMOS by shutting down, unplugging the power supply, and then removing the battery on the motherboard for 5 minutes. This fixes strange problems sometimes. Identifying the motherboard as the problem part is tricky though, normally it's a process of elimination of all other parts.
    • Hard drive. A faulty hard drive can sometimes cause strange system stability issues. I'd suggest this is an unlikely cause in this case though.

So, it's very difficult to tell without actually testing, but I highly suspect power supply if CPU temperature is okay.

Edit: As to an answer for your actual question, I don't know what the blinks mean. For whatever reason, motherboard manufacturers don't seem to include their own beep codes any more in manuals, let alone flashing patterns on the front-of-case LEDs. But hopefully someone knows and can tell you exactly.

3. Schnides Win User
    windows 10 new power supply

power supply got replaced, now windows 10 won't start. keeps going into bios setup. o

asus motherboard. P9x79 deluxe

intel i7 cpu

64gb memory

uefi bios

windows 10 pro

the old power supply was Corsair AX 850

The new one is a Corsair RM 850

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Schnides, Mar 14, 2019
  4. added new power supply and new motherboard battery. Now shows each hard drive twice!

Windows 10 New Hard Drive New MOtherboard

I am replacing motherboard cpu and memory and had windows 10 drive that originated from windows 7. How can install windows 10 on new hard drive

PhilWalenga, Mar 14, 2019
Thema:

added new power supply and new motherboard battery. Now shows each hard drive twice!

1. added new power supply and new motherboard battery. Now shows each hard drive twice! - Similar Threads - added power supply

2. New power supply causing BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New power supply causing BSOD: Hi all,So my last power supply stopped working a few days ago, it was a 700w 80plus bronze power supply and I have just upgraded to a Corsair HX1000i PSU but now every time I boot my computer after a while it blue screens and the error code changes sometimes so it’s hard to...
  3. New power supply causing BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New power supply causing BSOD: Hi all,So my last power supply stopped working a few days ago, it was a 700w 80plus bronze power supply and I have just upgraded to a Corsair HX1000i PSU but now every time I boot my computer after a while it blue screens and the error code changes sometimes so it’s hard to...
  4. New power supply causing BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Trouble Adding New Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Trouble Adding New Hard Drive: I'm trying to add a new hard drive and am having problems. I can see the drive in Device Manager, but it is not showing up in Disk Management. Also, when I go to DiskPart > List Disk it isn't showing. I've tried updating the driver in Device Manager and I've also...
  6. New hard drive, what now?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New hard drive, what now?: How do I install Windows 10 onto a new hard drive I got? My last one died so I bought a new one. Do I really need to buy a copy of Windows 10 for like $120 or is there an easier way?? I've heard of the Windows 7/Windows 8 free update but I don't know how to get those...
  7. new motherboard and new drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    new motherboard and new drive: How to get all the file icons back in the list for easy acces from F:// drive (my old drive) https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-motherboard-and-new-drive/f82e7314-da5d-4a86-965f-8a2b0d526660
  8. BSOD after installing new power supply

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after installing new power supply: Attachment 85517 i7-930 MSI GeForce 660ti Dell XPS 9100 Windows 10 Home After having my computer's old power supply die I just installed a new one today to get the system up and running. In the time since then multiple ks.sys crashes have occurred. Including when I...
  9. NEW Power Supply Upgrade Question

NEW Power Supply Upgrade Question: Hi All In order to prepare for future video card upgrade, decided for upcoming birthday to purchase newer power supply for my Asus M52BC_M32BC01 System, Found out Motherboard is M5A97 EVO 2, is there anything I should be aware of before doing the NEW Power supply install,...
  10. Bad power supplies, or evil motherboard?

Bad power supplies, or evil motherboard?: TL;DR: Power supply was working, put computer to sleep, power supply went dead. New power supply was working, did not put computer to sleep, power supply went dead. Is the problem two faulty power supplies or a motherboard from hell? Over the past week I've run into a...