Windows 10: Added SDRAM to HP laptop has 8GB and only 2GB usable, lots of BAD ADVICE

Discus and support Added SDRAM to HP laptop has 8GB and only 2GB usable, lots of BAD ADVICE in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; i have some HP laptop, came with 4GB 2x 2GB ram. 1TB hdd. thing runs slow, after a day of being on, it can take 30 seconds to reply to a button... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BradleytRogers, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Added SDRAM to HP laptop has 8GB and only 2GB usable, lots of BAD ADVICE

i have some HP laptop, came with 4GB 2x 2GB ram. 1TB hdd. thing runs slow, after a day of being on, it can take 30 seconds to reply to a button click. disk always 100% cpu usage, memory always near max.

I talk with HP who looks up my serial # and says the memory you need is xyz1234. an 8GB module is only $135 so $270 for two, what is your credit card number? I said well let me see if theres a better price. Patriot 8Gb with all the details xyz1234. I worked on pc's since they came out w/XT and know how to match sdram

open the laptop, remove slot 2 memory and install the 8GB there. turn on windows, it says there is 12GB, 2GB usable. well thats wrong. make a recovery disk, install a brand new SSD hdd. install windows, now its getting almost to the end, and blue screens out, I take out the other 2GB so its 8GB total. start windows and its ok, shows 8GB, 2GB usable. Go into Microsoft community and look it up. some ppl say increase the disk pagine file? why? another says run MSCONFIG, boot, advanced, uncheck automatic memory size. It then says 8192MB or whatever 8GB. ok reboot. blue screens out, reboot, login screen blue screens out. reboots, login screen, 3 seconds blue screens out.

now i break the bootup and run diagnostics, RAM tested for 30 minutes and 0 errors. HDD test quick: passed HDD test extensive: SMART test passed; 1:20:00 left hour and 20 minutes left

So whats the deal with the 2GB usable and 8GB total? Whats really going on? What can be done? In the past SDRAM was plug/play. Does this seem like the Patriot SDRAM is bad? I have not yet installed any HP oem drivers for this laptop and chipset

The HDD is Samsumg 860EVO 512mb. Assuredly runs windows faster, Task manager shows the HDD at 1-5% instead of 100%

:)

BradleytRogers, Nov 21, 2020

2. ASUS M5A97 evo 8gb (3.42 usable)

Hi

Hi Guys

Okay tried everything U guys suggested, here is the result, each chip in all the slots shows 4gb in windows but togther in all combinations these 2 chips shows 8gb but only 3.42 usable in windows, still no luck, what do U guys suggest now?

panamaswat, Nov 21, 2020
  3. Usable of 8GB Ram

Hello,

I am using Windows 10 32 bit operating system with 8GB Ram. My laptop showing only 1.91 GB Ram usable, PLEASE help me how to used all 8gb ram?

AadilMemon, Nov 21, 2020
  4. Added SDRAM to HP laptop has 8GB and only 2GB usable, lots of BAD ADVICE

Why is my laptop showing that only 5.9gb usable out of 8gb

Hello

Last month i had taken a hp laptop with the following specs--

8gb ram

3gb gtx1050

1tb, etc

And now when i i check how much memory I have used it is showing that only 5.9gb is usable out of 8gb memory

And i have another doubt:-if i i change the settings then will any of my data erase or would that have any side effect

Rookiee7781, Nov 21, 2020
Thema:

Added SDRAM to HP laptop has 8GB and only 2GB usable, lots of BAD ADVICE

1. Added SDRAM to HP laptop has 8GB and only 2GB usable, lots of BAD ADVICE - Similar Threads - Added SDRAM laptop

2. I have a HP Laptop it had 4gb ram but now it only has 2gb.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I have a HP Laptop it had 4gb ram but now it only has 2gb.: I have a HP Laptop and it has 4gb ram but after factory reset and reinstalling windows 10 my ram suddenly became 2gb and so it became a lot slower like I can't even open more than one application anymore before it lags, so what do I do?....
  3. Only 2gb of 6gb ram is usable.

Only 2gb of 6gb ram is usable.: I have 6gb ddr3 ram 4+2 installed on my pc. I think I remember the properties showing about5.6gb usable ram. Suddenly today I booted my pc and found out mygames were struggling to load properly. Then I found out system properties page was showing4gb of 6gb ram usable. Then I...
  4. 8gb of ram only 3.9 usable

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    8gb of ram only 3.9 usable: So I have a 8gb of ram but windows was only using 3.9 it says that the rest is dedicated to system resources or something like that. I've been trying to fix it but have not been successful. So now I'm asking for help here. specs: CPU: ryzen 5 2600 GPU: gtx 1660 RAM: Viper...
  5. Why is my laptop showing that only 5.9gb usable out of 8gb

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why is my laptop showing that only 5.9gb usable out of 8gb: Hello Last month i had taken a hp laptop with the following specs-- 8gb ram 3gb gtx1050 1tb, etc And now when i i check how much memory I have used it is showing that only 5.9gb is usable out of 8gb memory And i have another doubt:-if i i change the settings then will...
  6. 8gb ram installed 2gb ram usable

8gb ram installed 2gb ram usable: i just used the recovery option in my pc and it seems that windows doesn't use all my ram i tried going to ms config and then boot setting but didn't work any other fix??...
  7. My HP 8GB Laptop is Hanging a lot!!

My HP 8GB Laptop is Hanging a lot!!: I downloaded and installed VLC Media Player the day before yesterday, and from Yesterday my PC is hanging a lot... I saw crosses in a black background in the apps icon rather than their original icons... After using my Laptop for 4 or 5 hours I shutdown it and it was pretty...
  8. 16gb installed. Only 8gb usable.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    16gb installed. Only 8gb usable.: i have tried everything, but half of my memory is hardware reserved. My Specs. Asus P7P55D Pro 16 gb ram overclocked to 2000mhz intel i5 750 GTX 650 ti https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/16gb-installed-only-8gb-usable/7f4fabea-013e-40b5-9a87-ed5af0a49926
  9. 16GB RAM, only 8GB usable

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    16GB RAM, only 8GB usable: [ATTACH] I'm new to these PC things so I'm sorry for the dumb question. I just got a gaming PC as a gift for christmas, and I checked everything (updates, etc.) and it seems everything was fine, until I checked the RAM, it says 16GB installed but only 7.95 GB usable, it...
  10. RAM ISSUE. Only 2GB usable of 6.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    RAM ISSUE. Only 2GB usable of 6.: I've been having a problem with my laptop where it reads the 6gb of RAM installed but says that only 1.92 are usable. Can anybody help me solve this? I have Windows 10 64 bit. Please help, even the simplest tasks are slow with it 85212