Windows 10: Added SSD to Old Laptop

Discus and support Added SSD to Old Laptop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I purchased an Samsung 860 EVO SATA 500GB SSD and installed it in my old ASUS X53U laptop. Cloning the drive was very straightforward and it boots up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bfunke, Jan 24, 2019.

1. bfunke Win User

Added SSD to Old Laptop

I purchased an Samsung 860 EVO SATA 500GB SSD and installed it in my old ASUS X53U laptop. Cloning the drive was very straightforward and it boots up nicely and seems to be working ok but I have a couple of questions.

The BIOS reports LEGACY BIOS but UEFI is an option. Should I select UEFI?

The SSD is setup as MBR not GPT. Which should I use? Will changing it require a fresh install or can it be converted?

The BIOS reports SATA has AHCI enabled but Samsung Magician reports AHCI disable? Is there something I need to change

Samsung Magician reports the SSD is working correctly but "high speed mode" is off. Should I turn this on?

Thanks in advance.

Bryan

:)

bfunke, Jan 24, 2019

2. Adding an old SSD to new computer

When I got my new computer, I also got another SSD, so now that I am adding the old SSD in addition to my new one and HDD I am not sure what to do. Before I added my SSD from my old one, I reinstalled Windows 10 on it. I do not want to remove it since it
    cost me money, so I am keeping it as a backup, however when I open file explorer, I see 4 disks; Local Disk (CAdded SSD to Old Laptop :), HDD (DAdded SSD to Old Laptop :), System Reserved (EAdded SSD to Old Laptop :), and Local Disk (EAdded SSD to Old Laptop :). The last two have only appeared after I have added the old SSD.

My problem is that I would like to use my old disk for games, yet want to keep another copy of Windows 10. Additionally I don't fully understand why the System Reserved disk shows up and would not like to see it, do you know what I can do?

GeryMolnar, Oct 11, 2019
  3. Nordic Win User
    What to do with old laptop

If you actually read the thread it is a spare old laptop.

Nordic, Oct 11, 2019
  4. bfunke Win User

Added SSD to Old Laptop

Added SSD to Old Laptop

I purchased an Samsung 860 EVO SATA 500GB SSD and installed it in my old ASUS X53U laptop. Cloning the drive was very straightforward and it boots up nicely and seems to be working ok but I have a couple of questions.

The BIOS reports LEGACY BIOS but UEFI is an option. Should I select UEFI?

The SSD is setup as MBR not GPT. Which should I use? Will changing it require a fresh install or can it be converted?

The BIOS reports SATA has AHCI enabled but Samsung Magician reports AHCI disable? Is there something I need to change

Samsung Magician reports the SSD is working correctly but "high speed mode" is off. Should I turn this on?

Thanks in advance.

Bryan

bfunke, Oct 11, 2019
Thema:

Added SSD to Old Laptop

1. Added SSD to Old Laptop - Similar Threads - Added SSD Old

2. Replacing old HDD with the new SSD for my laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replacing old HDD with the new SSD for my laptop: I have a Lenovo laptop running on Windows 10. I am planning to replace the the hard drive from HDD to SSD to enhance the speed. My question is, How can i transfer the existing OS from the HDD to the new SSD using the back-up file?...
  3. old ssd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    old ssd: My Dell is dead got new Dell and saved old ssd. Got a ssd to usb cable and hooked it up and nothing happend . How do I get it to work? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/old-ssd/86599fdd-8f6f-44cb-9ad4-42f077eec063
  4. Adding an SSD to an existing, and quite old, Win10 PC installation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Adding an SSD to an existing, and quite old, Win10 PC installation: hi, I have a new 250gb SSD to add in a PC with Win10 and currently running on two HDD, one with the SO and another one acting as an archive. I'd go for a clean install on the SSD, without touching the existing HDDs and then eventually transfering few files to the new drive....
  5. Adding a SSD to old PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Adding a SSD to old PC: submitted by /u/Lefty_Wrighty [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j9vccp/adding_a_ssd_to_old_pc/
  6. New SSD added

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New SSD added: Clone the windows drive or fresh installation of Windows in Windows 10.....which one is best???? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-ssd-added/54c41e59-c688-4551-b1fa-d17a47349518
  7. Install Win 10 on added laptop SSD

Install Win 10 on added laptop SSD: I installed an SSD drive in place of my optical drive on my laptop. I wish to use this drive as boot drive. I have tried using windows media media creation tool, which recognized the new drive, to install windows 10 and it goes through the whole thing and then says my...
  8. adding an SSD Disk

adding an SSD Disk: Hi, I have windows installed on my 1TB HDD, now I wanted to extend the capacity of my pc by installing an 500GB M.2 Sata SSD. After the Hardware was installed in the PC, the bios won't recognize my HDD anymore. If I remove the SSD, it recognize it again. I tried all...
  9. Adding an SSD

Adding an SSD: Hi everyone, haven't posted anything in a long while. Although I haven't got a problem per se, more of a technical question - I would like to add an SSD to my workstation that has a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard but I'm not sure it's possible. I essentially would like to...
  10. Adding a SSD keeping old HD

Adding a SSD keeping old HD: Putting and SSD in the system and will just do a fresh install of windows 10 and make it C:\. I know about going to settings, system, storage, and changing the destinations. But will everything be found OK, or do I need to reinstall all the programs?...