Windows 10: Added SSD with dual boot Win & Linux. Help remove Win 7 from 2nd drive

Discus and support Added SSD with dual boot Win & Linux. Help remove Win 7 from 2nd drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My PC had a single drive running Win7. I disconnected it, added a SSD, then installed a Win10 and Linux dual boot. Now I want the Terabyte of space and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dancebert, Jun 5, 2019.

1. dancebert Win User

Added SSD with dual boot Win & Linux. Help remove Win 7 from 2nd drive

My PC had a single drive running Win7. I disconnected it, added a SSD, then installed a Win10 and Linux dual boot. Now I want the Terabyte of space and files on the former single drive. My understand is if I power-up with 2 bootable Win drives, bad things can happen. I'm thinking this will be safe:

- Connect data cable to Win7 drive.
    - Turn on, interrupting power-up by going into BIOS/UEFI. Verify the SSD is first in boot order.
    - Boot into Linux
    - Delete Win system partitions of the Win7 drive.
    - Restart into Win10, do something useful with the new free space.

Would this work? I'm open to other ways.

:)

dancebert, Jun 5, 2019
  2. kevin8er Win User

Remove first installed Windows 7 from dual boot

1. I installed Win 7 32bit on SSD drive

2. I installed a second drive and installed Win 7 64bit on it in a dual boot configuration.

3. I no longer need the first 32 bit version and want to be able to remove that drive and boot only into the 64bit version.

What steps do I need to be able to do this?

kevin8er, Jun 5, 2019
  3. Remove first installed Windows 7 from dual boot

DraganGolocevac, Jun 5, 2019
  4. Added SSD with dual boot Win & Linux. Help remove Win 7 from 2nd drive

Dual Boot Win 7/Win 10 from Separate Disk Drives

Recently, I installed a 250GB solid state drive (SSD) on my desktop computer. I run Windows 7 HPE on that system. I have registered that machine for Windows 10 free distribution and expect to receive it sometime over the next few weeks. I don't think
    that the SSD has enough free space to install Win 10 alongside Win 7, and I want to continue to use Win 7 for a while until I become more familiar with Win 10. I'd also like to avoid the pain sometimes found by being an early adopter. So, my question is:
    Can Windows 10 be installed on a hard drive separate from Win 7 and achieve a dual boot system? If so, could someone point me to an article or wiki that will tell me how to set up a dual boot machine with the OS's on different disk drives?

TIA

rh

RHHutchins, Jun 5, 2019
Thema:

Added SSD with dual boot Win & Linux. Help remove Win 7 from 2nd drive

1. Added SSD with dual boot Win & Linux. Help remove Win 7 from 2nd drive - Similar Threads - Added SSD dual

2. Repair Win 7 on Win 10/ Win 7 dual boot system

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Repair Win 7 on Win 10/ Win 7 dual boot system: My RAM failed resulting in corruption of Win 7 installation. Now I cannot boot to Win 7 at all. I can create another partition to install Win 7, copy and create a new partition for the MBR now allocated 3.65GB to restore after reloading Win 7, or try something else. I'm not...
  3. Need Help moving from win 7 to win 10 on a dual boot computer.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need Help moving from win 7 to win 10 on a dual boot computer.: I am looking to move from windows 7 to windows 10 and would like to know if there is an easy way to move all my stuff from one OS to the other? I have both installed on my SSD but now that support is ending for win 7 I would like to move over to my win 10 install. submitted...
  4. dual boot system win 10 and linux. Want to remove linux

in Windows 10 Customization
    dual boot system win 10 and linux. Want to remove linux: HI Greg: I don't know what happened but for some reason I lost your thread. Then, when I tried to reply, it says it was locked so I couldn't respond. The exact question was that I had 2 OS which is win 10 and Linux. I want to remove Linux. I took a picture of the disk...
  5. Upgrade to Win 10 from dual boot win 7 / win xp

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade to Win 10 from dual boot win 7 / win xp: I upgraded from win xp to a dual boot win xp / win 7 by using a win 7 upgrade disk. win 7 is now stable so I don't need win xp any longer and don't need a dual boot system. win 7 is on sata drive c with data also on that sata drive as drive d. win xp is on an old ide drive...
  6. seeing drives in dual boot win 7/10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    seeing drives in dual boot win 7/10: Thanks in advance for any thoughts, I have a dualboot win 7/10 machine, each system is on it's own ssd, programs are in 2 different folders on a 3rd ssd,all is working fine except: when i'm in 7 I can see the 10 drive which is labeled "E" but i cannot see 7 which is labeled...
  7. dual boot win 10/ win 7

dual boot win 10/ win 7: Hi, I have been tried to install win 7 64 bits on dual boot with win 10 64 bits already installed on my laptop but always failed. I've searched tutorials but didn't find complete ones .Most of the tutos are about installing win 10 over wind 7 on dual boot but not the...
  8. Win 7 and Win 10 Dual Boot

Win 7 and Win 10 Dual Boot: After reading many posts & reply's, I now think/understand that I cannot Dual Boot win 7 and win 10 using free Win 10, if I want to do that I must buy Win 10. Reason is the MS will not allow free Win 10 if I am still using Win 7. 1st I must update my win 7 with win 10...
  9. Remove win 10 from dual boot

Remove win 10 from dual boot: Hi. I have Windows 7/10 dual boot which I understand is not strictly permitted under Microsoft terms. The November update is not working for me, I am getting the watchdog_violation message with no fault codes to help. I have decided to stay with Windows 7 until Microsoft...
  10. dual boot win 7 and win 10?

dual boot win 7 and win 10?: I currently have win10 on a partition. I have a second partition big enough for win7. Can I install win 7 on that partition. Will installing win7 result in a win7 style boot manager? If so, how to get the win 10 boot manager? One reason I want to do this, win7 has WMC...