Windows 10: Adding 2nd laptop to home network failed

Discus and support Adding 2nd laptop to home network failed in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Now that HOMEGROUP has all but gone away how do I had a 3rd computer to my home network?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by sdmike1974, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Adding 2nd laptop to home network failed

Now that HOMEGROUP has all but gone away how do I had a 3rd computer to my home network?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4091368/windows-10-homegroup-removed

I haven't done this in several years and the old methods don't seem to apply.

For example, I thought all I had to do was connect to my Wi-Fi and I could start sharing files. But the folder for the recently added laptop does not show any files... even though the folder name (i.e. that laptop name) is displayed.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Here are my 'Change advanced sharing settings" at the Network and Sharing Center in the Control Panel.

Adding 2nd laptop to home network failed 27cf6e88-bf4e-45a7-817f-c7278d2ee7b3?upload=true.jpg

And for All Networks

Adding 2nd laptop to home network failed ecdeb88a-ed9a-4f34-abce-adc3087f243d?upload=true.jpg

Michael T.

Senior Software Engineer (retired)

:)

sdmike1974, Jun 22, 2019
  2. Mussels Win User

Basic Network guide

I'll be adding a small page on doing this in windows vista soon, since XP is the same with a step or two less, i assume people will figure it out.

Mussels, Jun 22, 2019
  3. Laptop won't show list of available networks

We suggest checking the list of available Wi-Fi networks on your laptop.

Please follow these steps:

• Click the Windows logo.
    • Go to Settings (gear icon).
    • Select Network and Internet.
    • Then Wi-Fi.
    • Make sure the Wi-Fi radio button is On.
    • Select Show available networks, then you'll be able to see the list of available Wi-Fi networks.

Update us with the outcome so we provide further assistance.

Robert Caw, Jun 22, 2019
  4. Adding 2nd laptop to home network failed

WiFi ad hoc problem

I'm creating an ad hoc network to connect my desktop (running Windows 7) with a friend laptop (running XP). So I set the network and in the wireless networks list of the laptop it appear with signal strength "Excellent" but once it connect to the network the signal strength drops to "Very Low". Any ideas where the problem may be? Thank you in advance.

Grasshopper, Jun 22, 2019
Thema:

Adding 2nd laptop to home network failed

1. Adding 2nd laptop to home network failed - Similar Threads - Adding 2nd laptop

2. Adding 2nd SSD and dcp_watchdog_violation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Adding 2nd SSD and dcp_watchdog_violation: My girlfriend has an Hp Pavilion x360 convertible. I don’t have it in front of me so I am unsure of the exact model number. But it was having issues with freezing when doing simple tasks. The ssd it came with was only a little over 100 gb and had less than 5gb of free space....
  3. Downgrade win 10 pro to home on 2nd hand laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Downgrade win 10 pro to home on 2nd hand laptop: I bought a second hand laptop which was advertised with 10 Pro. When I got it, it wasn't activated and the seller didn't have the code. I bought a genuine copy of 10 Home and then did a full reset. Unfortunately every time it gets to the "ready to install page" it shows...
  4. Adding a 2nd OS to my Laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Adding a 2nd OS to my Laptop: I have an HP Probook 450 G1 and run a 64 bit W10. My Hard Disc "C" was 450 GB but I resized it to 300 GB via Paragon Manager and created a new 150 GB partition "F" which is "Unallocated". It is my intention to run my old 32 bit W 7 OS on partition "F" but when I try to...
  5. Adding a 2nd OS to my Laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Adding a 2nd OS to my Laptop: I have an HP Probook 450 G1 and run a 64 bit W10. My Hard Disc "C" was 450 GB but I resized it to 300 GB via Paragon Manager and created a new 150 GB partition "F" which is "Unallocated". It is my intention to run my old 32 bit W 7 OS on partition "F" but when I try to...
  6. Bitlock adding 2nd drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlock adding 2nd drive: Hello, I have a laptop which is bit locked. I do not have the bit locker key or password, but I have a 6 digit PIN. I can start the laptop successfully with the pin and login to Windows 10. If I add a 2nd internal hard drive, which is say already formatted to FAT32, or...
  7. Problem adding 2nd ssd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem adding 2nd ssd: I have an ssd for my boot drive, trying to add a 2nd ssd. The ssd is ok tested it externally with a USB adapter, but when I install it to my pc, it’s not showing in the bios or windows. tried known power supply and Sata lead, but still not showing. any ideas please 127747
  8. Unable to see 2nd laptop on home network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to see 2nd laptop on home network: hi there so I have 2 laptops on my home network. previously I used homegroup to share files between computers and this was obviously stopped. I then just created a workgroup and shared files that way. however i noticed a couple of weeks ago that from Laptop 1 I physically...
  9. Adding Network Locations Always Fails

Adding Network Locations Always Fails: I only have this problem with Win10 Pro x64, regardless of the version/build numbers. After making a few connections to my network location that I add, in this case a WebDAV file server for school I use, Windows will eventually decide that the location doesn't exist anymore....
  10. Problem adding windows 10 laptop to a network

Problem adding windows 10 laptop to a network: Hi! I am trying to connect my windows 10 notebook business network where I have a domain called clinlife but everytime I hit ok I get a message "An Active Directory Domain Controller( AD DC) for the domain Clinlife could not be contacted." What can I do to add this...