Windows 10: Adding a folder to Windows Library changed sharing permissions?

Discus and support Adding a folder to Windows Library changed sharing permissions? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was experimenting with using the DLNA feature on my Panasonic TV to access and play video files stored locally on one of my PC's. When I added the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TV2, Jan 9, 2018.

1. TV2
    TV2 Win User

Adding a folder to Windows Library changed sharing permissions?

I was experimenting with using the DLNA feature on my Panasonic TV to access and play video files stored locally on one of my PC's.

When I added the VIDEOS folder to the Windows Video Library the content in the folder suddenly became unseen by my Western Digital TV Live box (my current/ancient media player). When I removed the folder from the WD Library and then tried to add it back in it could not see the VIDEOS folder at all anymore.

I checked and at that time all the sharing permissions were correct for the WD. (The folder must be shared for Everyone with read/write permissions).

I decided to remove the folder from the Windows Library. After doing that the original folder permissions were back at defaults. I had to reset them to Everyone and full control.

Anyone care to guess what happened here?
    Does the Windows Library require certain sharing/permissions settings to work? And can you change them?

:)

2. AlexG62 Win User

no readable photos,.... after adding network folder to Sources

The scanning of CIFS share never finished. I finally decided to kill it. It probably need to be indexed, but Windows 10 makes it nearly impossible to index a CIFS NAS share.

I event tried to adding NAS share to Picture Library shared through homegroup, but Photo App refuses to allow adding a library. It only works on direct folders.

This product is really pain to use.

AlexG62, Jan 9, 2018
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    include in Library

Adding a folder to a library doesn't cause the folder to be moved or otherwise changed. So if your folder is gone, it's not because you added it to a library.

BulldogXX, Jan 9, 2018
Thema:

Adding a folder to Windows Library changed sharing permissions?

1. Adding a folder to Windows Library changed sharing permissions? - Similar Threads - Adding folder Library

2. File and folder sharing permission.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File and folder sharing permission.: I have a computer network LAN, and I want the computers across my network to have different permission-level access to my shared files for example I want computer A to have read-only permission and computer B to have read and write permission, what should I do?...
  3. File and folder sharing permission.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File and folder sharing permission.: I have a computer network LAN, and I want the computers across my network to have different permission level access to my shared files, what should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-and-folder-sharing-permission/3642e982-0e8f-4f87-ac6d-54258b8b1ae7
  4. File and folder sharing permission.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File and folder sharing permission.: I have a computer network LAN, and I want the computers across my network to have different permission level access to my shared files, what should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-and-folder-sharing-permission/3642e982-0e8f-4f87-ac6d-54258b8b1ae7
  5. Shared folder permissions

Shared folder permissions: Hi,I use a laptop with a Microsoft Account like *** Email address is removed for privacy *** and so does a friend of mine. I have a local folder folder that I wish to share and give him modify permission we both use to use the same local network. When wanting to add him to...
  6. Shared folder permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shared folder permissions: Hi,I use a laptop with a Microsoft Account like *** Email address is removed for privacy *** and so does a friend of mine. I have a local folder folder that I wish to share and give him modify permission we both use to use the same local network. When wanting to add him to...
  7. Shared folder permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Share Folder Permission

Share Folder Permission: Hi, Here is my scenario. I used one of my computers to act as the main server with a shared folder available "everyone". I did connect 2 more work stations with the Administration account and I was able to map the shared folder easily. however, my company required to add...
  9. Shared folder permission problem

Shared folder permission problem: I have 3 PCs on my Windows 10 home network (2 wired desktops running Win10 Pro and a wireless laptop running Win10 Home). All are on the same Workgroup, and I log into all of them with the same Microsoft account, verified on all machines. I have shared some folders on PC...
  10. Change Permissions of OneDrive Shared Files and Folders

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Permissions of OneDrive Shared Files and Folders: How to: Change Permissions of OneDrive Shared Files and Folders How to Change Permission Level of Shared OneDrive Files and Folders You can easily save your files to OneDrive and get to them from any device, like your Windows 10 PC, Windows 10 tablet, or Windows 10...