Windows 10: adding a hard drive to laptop or cloning and creating a VHDX

Discus and support adding a hard drive to laptop or cloning and creating a VHDX in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all. This is my first ever post and I would be very grateful for some step-by-step instructions on the best way to do the following. I have just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Little Fury, Jan 23, 2019.

1. adding a hard drive to laptop or cloning and creating a VHDX

Hi all.
    This is my first ever post and I would be very grateful for some step-by-step instructions on the best way to do the following.

I have just acquired a Lenovo ideapad 330 with a 2TB hard drive. I am a writer and an administrator, and I want to have 2 computers in one: I have the hard drive from my old laptop, which was an HP not dissimilar to this Lenovo, spec wise. Firstly (there is no CD/DVD drive, though there is a 'blank' in the space) is it at all possible to physically add my old hdd to the mother board and house it inside where the DVD drive isn't? Is it as simple as just fastening it in there and plugging it into where the DVD drive would go?

If not, I have a planB, and that would be to partition my new 2TB hard drive into the local hdd and a virtual hdd and then clone my old hdd and copy it onto the new partition, so that when I boot my laptop I can choose which 'Drive' to use, depending on whether I am working for myself (writing) or my boss (campsite admin).

What I envisage basically, is switching on the laptop, and being given the choice to boot Drive C: (Ginevra the author), or Drive D: Campsite Administrator so I can 'wear the right head with the right drive' so-to-speak.

If you are good enough to help me, please feel free to assume that I am an idiot and will need to literally be told each step. I've had computers since 1994 and though I am quite up to speed in some respects, I am woefully ignorant in others, such as the above.

Thanking you in advance,

Ginevra

:)

Little Fury, Jan 23, 2019
  2. Sanhime Win User

Cloning from 1TB to 2TB hard drive

Whats a good free imaging/cloning program? I have a 1TB hard drive with Win7 and I want to seamlessly migrate my stuff to a 2TB hard drive. Any suggestions?

Sanhime, Jan 23, 2019
  3. How to install vhdx image onto win 10 new computer

I tried to locate my system volume but it wasn't listed. This might be because my hard drive is going bad *Shock

So at this point I'll probably reinstall Windows to another drive.

Is there a way to take my Windows 10 VHDX file and apply it to another drive so that drive will boot?

Note: The VHDX I'm referring to was created using Disk2VHD. Is that all I needed to do to create a bootable VHDX, or were there more steps involved? This is my first time trying this so please forgive my ignorance *Huh

Day Trooper, Jan 23, 2019
  4. harly Win User

adding a hard drive to laptop or cloning and creating a VHDX

The way to clone a hard drive through a Dock Station

Creating a "clone" of your hard drive is creating a full backup of all of the files and folders contained around the drive. This may afford you something like a "do-over" in the case of system failure, allowing you to quickly take the system back online. It is simple to create a clone of your respective drive onto an external hard drive with your laptop together with a docking station.

Do you prefer to use clone software or a docking station?

harly, Jan 23, 2019
Thema:

adding a hard drive to laptop or cloning and creating a VHDX

1. adding a hard drive to laptop or cloning and creating a VHDX - Similar Threads - adding hard drive

2. Cloning a hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cloning a hard drive: Original OS - Windows 8.1Current OS - Windows 10My Dell Desktop won't boot up. Diagnostics shows my HDD is OK. I was wanting to copy everything to a backup drive before I tried to re-install Windows 8.1 original OS. I pulled the HDD WD 1TB SATA, attached a SATA to USB cable...
  3. Cloning a hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloning a hard drive: Original OS - Windows 8.1Current OS - Windows 10My Dell Desktop won't boot up. Diagnostics shows my HDD is OK. I was wanting to copy everything to a backup drive before I tried to re-install Windows 8.1 original OS. I pulled the HDD WD 1TB SATA, attached a SATA to USB cable...
  4. Cloning a hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cloning Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloning Hard Drive: I use an ssd for booting windows and I had a bad 1TB hard drive which I'm now cloning to a better 2TB hard drive using Macrium Reflect. The cloning is almost done (90%) but I have a few questions. How does it work with the download/picture/documents folder in File...
  6. Cloning hard drive help

Cloning hard drive help: I cloned my main boot drive. I have 2 drives installed. How do change boot to the newly cloned drive if I have both of them plugged in? submitted by /u/supertrucker39 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j0ht25/cloning_hard_drive_help/
  7. Hard drive cloning question

Hard drive cloning question: Basically my desktop has an old intel p600 256gb nvme drive, clearly not enough for gaming or anything. id like to clone it to a 1tb nvme drive, i understand i can just get an nvme to usb adapter to do this and use some cloning software but here is where im getting confused,i...
  8. Hard drive clone

in Windows 10 Customization
    Hard drive clone: Hey: Can I create a cloned drive by cloning to a hd on my PC from my laptop drive & then from the PC to SSD? I only have 1 cable & my laptop will not boot. Both machines have win10 upgrades - 1 from win7 pro -PC & 1 from win 8 home - laptop....
  9. Clone secondary hard drive to new hard drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone secondary hard drive to new hard drive: Hi! Bought a replacement secondary hard drive, but want to know best tool to clone it. My main drive is an SSD with Windows on, but I used Kari's tutorial to move the user folder on to a secondary hard drive, so just unsure on the best way to go to keep the User folder...
  10. Hard Driving Cloning Question

in Windows 10 Support
    Hard Driving Cloning Question: I am looking to upgrade a computer in my office to Windows 10 once it comes out. This computer needs to have its hard drive replicated. Currently we have two option to clone the hard drive, hardware based and software based cloning. Has anyone tried either method of cloning?...