Windows 10: Adding a language from the language list using PowerShell

Discus and support Adding a language from the language list using PowerShell in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello everyone! I have this problem, I'm learning PowerShell at school and we had to use PowerShell to add a language to our computers. I wrote the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by HollowRaccoon, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Adding a language from the language list using PowerShell

Hello everyone!

I have this problem, I'm learning PowerShell at school and we had to use PowerShell to add a language to our computers. I wrote the code, but I only understood how to replace the language, so I had my keyboard layout in Russian and I replaced it to English, but I need to add a language and not replace it. How do I do that?

This is the code I have right now.

$s = New-PSSession -ComputerName DESKTOP-PCFOC5O
    Invoke-Command -Session $s -ScriptBlock{Get-WinUserLanguageList} Out-File "C:\Users\Tudeng\Desktop\languagelist.txt"
    Invoke-Command -Session $s -ScriptBlock{Set-WinUserLanguageList -LanguageList en-US}

:)

HollowRaccoon, Jan 23, 2020
  2. RFC3514 Win User

Tooltips displayed in the wrong language

Although my version of Windows is set to English and the GPU-Z "Tooltip Language" appears as "System Default (English (United Kingdom))", the tooltips are appearing in the language corresponding to my system locale (or possibly keyboard layout), not the actual system language. I frequently change the keyboard layout and date format (to match the clients I'm working for and the language I'm writing in), but the system language never changes (and software is supposed to run in that language).

I can manually select "English (United States)", but this basically makes it impossible for me to select the "correct" language (i.e., UK English), because it doesn't appear in the list (other than as "system default" - but is then ignored). Obviously it makes no difference to me if it's in UK or US English, but people with other language combinations might have a problem.

It seems the routine that populates the language list in the options is (correctly) determining the system language, but the routine that actually generates the tooltips is (incorrectly) reading the system locale instead of language.

RFC3514, Jan 23, 2020
  3. Rohn007 Win User
    Add New Language to Languages list in Region & Language in Windows

You should be able to use PowerShell to add that keyboard. As part of the keyboard / language definition you are going to have to come up with a unique ID for it like, like en-US, (language-Country). Using that you can add the keyboard

WINDOWS 10 APRIL 2018 UPDATE ADDED AN EXTRA LANGUAGE AND I CANNOT REMOVE IT

You can use PowerShell to rebuild the language list.

Start PowerShell in admin mode

To start with you can get the current list by entering the following command:

Get-WinUserLanguageList

There should be at least 8 lines of information for each language. The first line is the language code, ie en-CA or en-US. Note, for some languages it may be just the 2 letter Language, code or a longer 5 or 6 digit code ie You can ignore the rest. Does this
    list match what you are seeing.

This page has a list of language codes, LCID-STRING:

https://www.science.co.il/language/Locale-codes...

Now you can rebuild the language list using the following commands

$1 = New-WinUserLanguageList en-US

Set-WinUserLanguageList $1

The 2 lines above sets English US as the only keyboard.

This example sets 3 languages, English US default, plus Dutch Netherlands and German Germany

$1=New-WinUserLanguageList en-US

$1.Add("nl-NL")

$1.Add("de-DE")

UK KEYBOARD WRONG IN 1803

Dave, oOne of our other advisors posted this suggestion:

<snip>

do you have a UK Keyboard - i.e. is the " above your number 2?

There is a known bug in the 1803 version of Windows 10. Microsoft are aware of this issue and hopefully are working on a patch . . .

For the moment, please use this workaround to set your preferred input language:

Right click your Start Button, choose Powershell (admin)

Run this command and hit Enter:

$1 = New-WinUserLanguageList en-GB

Run this command and hit Enter

Close Powershell and restart your PC

</snip>

. ********* ******

Windows 10 April 2018 Update added an extra Language and I cannot remove it...

Rohn007, Jan 23, 2020
  4. Pavan_N Win User

Adding a language from the language list using PowerShell

?remove language from language list in language indicator

Hi Mahamedsamy,

Follow the steps below and check if you are able to remove language.

• Go to Settings > Time & language >
      Region & language.
    • Select a language and click on Remove.
    Do let us know the status. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Jan 23, 2020
Thema:

Adding a language from the language list using PowerShell

1. Adding a language from the language list using PowerShell - Similar Threads - Adding language language

2. in adding language required language features are disabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    in adding language required language features are disabled: in adding language required language features are disabled https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/in-adding-language-required-language-features-are/a1772af7-3162-4287-a231-f060f8e7fa40
  3. Changing powershell language

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing powershell language: Hello,I've first noticed this with winget, but today I found out that my entire powershell app is set to Russian while the rest of the OS is set to Finnish w/ a Polish keyboard complicated situation. While I've used windows in Russian in the past, it was on my previous...
  4. Changing powershell language

Changing powershell language: Hello,I've first noticed this with winget, but today I found out that my entire powershell app is set to Russian while the rest of the OS is set to Finnish w/ a Polish keyboard complicated situation. While I've used windows in Russian in the past, it was on my previous...
  5. Windows keeps adding the languages to the language panel

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows keeps adding the languages to the language panel: The operating system constantly adds excessive languages to the lang panel, even though there are no new languages in the corresponding Settings tab. I own a laptop that has a German keyboard layout, and by default, there was the German language set in the system. I've...
  6. Windows keeps adding the languages to the language panel

Windows keeps adding the languages to the language panel: The operating system constantly adds excessive languages to the lang panel, even though there are no new languages in the corresponding Settings tab. I own a laptop that has a German keyboard layout, and by default, there was the German language set in the system. I've...
  7. Phantom languages in my language list

in Windows 10 Customization
    Phantom languages in my language list: When I open the language list on the toolbar, I have four languages listed, but I should only have two, because I only have English in the language preferences settings, and I chose two keyboards for English, US and INTL. The other two languages showing are Hebrew and...
  8. I can't remove a language from the list of display languages

I can't remove a language from the list of display languages: I bought a Lenovo pc in China that runs under a windows 10 pro system. However, when I tried to remove Chinese from the display language list, I found it interesting how Chinese could still be an option after I uninstalled the language pack. Chinese characters appear...
  9. Languages added randomly.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Languages added randomly.: Hi everyone, For some reason I got two (!) languages added that I never had before, cannot see them in settings. Already made an IgnorePreloadKeyboardLayout key (as I had UK keyboard that appeared suddenly), it did help for some time, but now I encounter this again. How...
  10. Adding a Language from control panel

Adding a Language from control panel: I can't add Russian as a language in WIndows language. It shows no language pack available. Can someone help ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/adding-a-language-from-control-panel/c98b29cb-33f0-4b40-a539-c60a464144ee