Windows 10: Adding a monitor to my laptop causes display loss

Discus and support Adding a monitor to my laptop causes display loss in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I tried to add a monitor (Benq GL2460) to my Lenovo Yoga 310 (Win10) but when I connect it (HDMI cable), I lose the fill screen display and can't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Tarantini, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Tarantini Win User

Adding a monitor to my laptop causes display loss

I tried to add a monitor (Benq GL2460) to my Lenovo Yoga 310 (Win10) but when I connect it (HDMI cable), I lose the fill screen display and can't access anything (i.e when I try to open an application or service it won't display on my laptop screen or added monitor). When I unplug the HDMI cable the laptop returns to normal. Any ideas?

:)

Tarantini, Aug 17, 2018
  2. Jetster Win User

Laptop display question

Confusing statement! You want to change the display on your laptop that died?

Is that correct?

How do you know its the display that's bad?

Just google "how to change display on a acer 5745"

Should get you to step by step instructions. But first make sure its the display that's bad

Jetster, Aug 17, 2018
  3. delpi767 Win User
    No display on laptop's external monitor-Monitor recognized but blank

After the recent Windows 10 update, my wife's laptop no longer displays on the external monitor. All was well before the update.

I am comfortable that Windows sees the monitor because clicking on Display Settings shows two displays. If I unplug the HDMI cable, only one display is shown.

I have confirmed that the monitor works by trying it with another laptop. I have also changed the HDMI cable between the laptop and the external monitor.

Device manager reports that I have the latest display driver installed.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions.

delpi767, Aug 17, 2018
  4. Arjay Dom Win User

monitor display size

Hi Kathy,

This issue with monitor display can be caused by screen resolution problems.

As an initial troubleshooting step, try changing the screen resolution by following the steps below:

• Right-click on the desktop screen.
    • Select Display settings.
    • Click Display.
    • Under Resolution, click on the drop-down menu and change the screen resolution.

Note: You can select the most recommended resolution (1920 x 1080) if applicable and see if the issue will persist.

Let us know if you have any other concerns.

Arjay Dom, Aug 17, 2018
Thema:

1. Adding a monitor to my laptop causes display loss - Similar Threads - Adding monitor laptop

2. My Monitor keeps causing windows to lose display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Monitor keeps causing windows to lose display: I had a monitor that used a HDMI to VGA adaptor and when the Laptop was unlocked, I kept the windows open on the second screen. But The old monitor died, now the new monitor has a direct HDMI connection, but when I lock the PC, The display goes to standby. When the PC is...
  3. My Monitor keeps causing windows to lose display

in Windows 10 Customization
    My Monitor keeps causing windows to lose display: I had a monitor that used a HDMI to VGA adaptor and when the Laptop was unlocked, I kept the windows open on the second screen. But The old monitor died, now the new monitor has a direct HDMI connection, but when I lock the PC, The display goes to standby. When the PC is...
  4. Adding 2 monitors to laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adding 2 monitors to laptop: Trying to attach 2 monitors to a laptop via the instructions provided by Microsoft. It's not working!! I need help please. I have each monitor plugged in to the hdmi ports of a docking station. One monitor works, the second isnt even detected....
  5. Adding 2 monitors to laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adding 2 monitors to laptop: Trying to attach 2 monitors to a laptop via the instructions provided by Microsoft. It's not working!! I need help please. I have each monitor plugged in to the hdmi ports of a docking station. One monitor works, the second isnt even detected....
  6. Loss of display on monitor

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Loss of display on monitor: While trying to add a second monitor display, I selected an option to show the screen content on the second monitor and the original disappeared, I now have two blank screens. How do I retrieve the original signal and how do I project it on both display monitors? Because...
  7. Adding 2nd Monitor is causing PC to crash

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Adding 2nd Monitor is causing PC to crash: I recently added a new monitor to my gaming PC set up, and now it occasionally will crash the entire PC. Could this be a power supply issue or something else?...
  8. Added a monitor, display resolution changes when laptop lid closed.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Added a monitor, display resolution changes when laptop lid closed.: I just bought a new monitor (LG 27"), and at the moment I have the screens duplicated. Both are showing resolution of 3840 x 2160, and life is wonderful. Occasionally I'd like to close the laptop lid, OR at least go to screen 2 only (neck issues - trying to train...
  9. Adding a monitor to my laptop causes display loss

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Adding a monitor to my laptop causes display loss: I tried to add a monitor (Benq GL2460) to my Lenovo Yoga 310 (Win10) but when I connect it (HDMI cable), I lose the fill screen display and can't access anything (i.e when I try to open an application or service it won't display on my laptop screen or added monitor). When I...
  10. Adding a display to a laptop

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Adding a display to a laptop: Greetings, I have a new Asus Zenbook Flip. Core M, 512SSD, 8Gbs of RAM. I have an aging iMac and am considering trying a switch completely to Windows. The way I could do this is docking the laptop (where my iMac lives) and hooking up an external 1080p monitor. With a...