Windows 10: Adding a new input language must not add any keyboard layout

Discus and support Adding a new input language must not add any keyboard layout in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Suppose you're on a system with a French AZERTY layout physical keyboard and you want to enter text in both French and English. You will add English... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by sba923, Oct 30, 2020.

1. sba923 Win User

Adding a new input language must not add any keyboard layout

Suppose you're on a system with a French AZERTY layout physical keyboard and you want to enter text in both French and English.

You will add English to the list of input languages, but this will derive from this that you want the US QWERTY keyboard layout, which is plain wrong.

When adding a new input language, the associated keyboard layout must be the one currently in use.

Maybe, if there are multiple keyboard layouts installed, then that new input language could be associated withall those keyboard layouts.

IOW, if the current setup is "input language X, keyboard layout Y", if I add input language Z then it must be associated with keyboard layout Y, not some default layout inferred from Z.

The current links between input language and keyboard layout are just plain wrong:

1. you switch input languages only because you need to type text in different languages, not because you're using a different physical keyboard or remoting from a machine with a different physical keyboard.

2. conversely, you change keyboard layouts because you have multiple physical keyboards, or because you're remoting into machine A that has physical keyboard X from machine B that has physical keyboard Y, not because you start entering text in a different language

BTW, note that the new Windows 10 to switch among input language, keyboard layout combinations using Win+SPACE makes this unnecessarily cumbersome and/or confusing for people using N multiple input languagesand P multiple keyboard layouts, because they have to select from a list of N*P entries.

Do you concur?

Please comment!

P.S. I hope Microsoft will listen to https://aka.ms/AAa4gp2 and act! In any case, please upvote that feedback!

:)

sba923, Oct 30, 2020

2. Windows keeps automatically adding EN-US keyboard layout

That doesnt work anymore, language isnt in control panel

can i get new instructions?

Phoenixcraft, Oct 30, 2020
  3. Xylee Del Win User
    The extra keyboard layout keep adding to my language bar (with Pics)

Hi Panupong,

The updated Windows 10 may have detected your language, the reason why it automatically gave you the other Thai US keyboard. To correct this issue, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Click on the Start Menu, type in region and language settings and select it.
    • Under Languages, select Thai Kedmanee keyboard and click Remove.
    • Lastly, add it back by clicking Add a language.

After these steps, your keyboard layout will permanently stay with Thai Kedmanee keyboard.

Let us know if the steps above resolved your issue.

Xylee Del, Oct 30, 2020
  4. Kari Win User

Keyboard layout

Open Advanced Language Settings:

Adding a new input language must not add any keyboard layout [​IMG]

(Click screenshots to enlarge.)

Two settings here to check:

1. Override the default input language with your preferred input language, even if there's only one language on the list
    2. Don't let websites access the language list
    To be sure that the correct settings will be used for all user accounts created later, copy the settings:

Thema:

1. Adding a new input language must not add any keyboard layout - Similar Threads - Adding input language

2. Adding/installing Ukrainian Language with the ЯШЕРТИ keyboard layout

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adding/installing Ukrainian Language with the ЯШЕРТИ keyboard layout: In previous versions of Windows i.e. Windows 7, when I would add/install a Ukrainian language, most of the letters those with identical/similar sounds would match the English letters on the keyboard, this Ukrainian keyboard layout is known as " ЯШЕРТИ". now in Windows 10 the...
  3. How to remove default keyboard layout added by a language

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove default keyboard layout added by a language: Hello fellow members,I have English as my display language because I work as a software developer and most of my devices use English as the system language, though all my input layouts are German QWERTZ because I live in Germany.How do I remove this pesky English United...
  4. How to remove default keyboard layout added by a language

How to remove default keyboard layout added by a language: Hello fellow members,I have English as my display language because I work as a software developer and most of my devices use English as the system language, though all my input layouts are German QWERTZ because I live in Germany.How do I remove this pesky English United...
  5. Languages keep adding to my keyboard layout

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Languages keep adding to my keyboard layout: Hello,I am using Windows 11, although this problem was also present in Windows 10. I want to have 2 keyboard layouts: US and Slovak QWERTY. However, Windows keeps adding languages after a restart. Right now, I have both US and Slovak QWERTY, but I also have regular Slovak...
  6. Languages keep adding to my keyboard layout

Languages keep adding to my keyboard layout: Hello,I am using Windows 11, although this problem was also present in Windows 10. I want to have 2 keyboard layouts: US and Slovak QWERTY. However, Windows keeps adding languages after a restart. Right now, I have both US and Slovak QWERTY, but I also have regular Slovak...
  7. Question about keyboard layouts and language inputs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about keyboard layouts and language inputs: [ATTACH] Ok, so that's the situation right now if I click input methods on the taskbar: https://preview.redd.it/8onig9gm1tz51.png?width=308&format=png&auto=webp&s=d9dc3c1f82f171ef861ff37696362343ed243f98 I would like for the bottom 3 input methods to disappear, but in...
  8. The Afiikaans keyboard layout is automatically adding to the input methods

in Windows 10 Customization
    The Afiikaans keyboard layout is automatically adding to the input methods: I noticed that the AFR keyboard layout added to my input methods here: [ATTACH] While in the Language preferences it isn't in the list of my languages: [ATTACH] I've deleted this language from the registry several times: [ATTACH] but it keeps adding every time I reboot...
  9. Why not add a DIY keyboard layout and input methord for user of all languages?

in Cortana
    Why not add a DIY keyboard layout and input methord for user of all languages?: Average English speakers never understand why people need a input method sometimes. People write in a non-latin alphabet system like Russian or Korean, or in a non-English Latin alphabet system like Germany or French adjust the keyboard layout slightly when they type. When...
  10. Windows keeps adding languages to my keyboard layout.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows keeps adding languages to my keyboard layout.: Hey, I'm multilingual, and I write in several languages. When I use english, however, no extra symbols are needed, so I just use one of the others for it. Very frequently I get this problem that Windows 10 just decides to add languages to it. It used to be only the United...