Windows 10: Adding a new rule using Windows Defender Firewall

Discus and support Adding a new rule using Windows Defender Firewall in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi all. I have an HP All-In-One Desktop running Windows 10 Version 1909, Build 18363.720. I regularly run Windows update and the last update I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Dan2012UR, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Dan2012UR Win User

Adding a new rule using Windows Defender Firewall

Hi all. I have an HP All-In-One Desktop running Windows 10 Version 1909, Build 18363.720. I regularly run Windows update and the last update I received, March 12, 2020 is KB4551762 OS Builds 18362.720 and 18363.720.

I manage my music through an older Logitech Squeezebox Media Server which includes the software media server and a the hardware squeezebox. The PC connects to the hardware through port 9. I've been very happy with the configuration until recently when it failed and the media server diagnostics confirmed the PC couldn't connect to port 9 which is what the Squeezebox requires.

My primary virus protection is provided by BullGuard Internet Security. I've contacted Bullguard support and through them confirmed that by turning off BullGuard completely that the problem is more likely a Windows Defender issue.

My secondary virus protection is provided by Windows Defender.

AT & T provides my internet services. Management of their router goes through the standard IP address 192.168.1.254. There is no rule - outbound or inbound that definitively allows access to that router. When I that address through the PowerShell Admin process it comes back as a general failure. That's the case for the Squeezebox address as well.

I checked the outbound and inbound rules of the Windows defender firewall tool and don't see a specific rule relating to the AT&T router and, while I'm not sure if there ever was one I'm thinking that adding a rule to the router may resolve my issue. I have never added a firewall rule and would like to do it right.

I'd like some feedback from experts whether I'm heading down the right path, and if so, advice on how to add a new firewall rule - is it an inbound rule or outbound.

FYI, there is an inbound rule which can see which refers to an AllJoyn router which is a TCP rule which refers to port 9955. My own AT&T router is a Cisco brand.

Much obliged. Dan

:)

Dan2012UR, Mar 14, 2020
  2. joelshort Win User

Defender Firewall will not save "allowed app" rules

I am having a persistent, ongoing problem with allowing apps through Windows Defender Firewall (Windows 10 Pro 1809). Basically, the firewall is not remembering when I add an app to the list.

From the control panel I am going to "Allow apps to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall". One of the apps in question is already listed and I need to continually enable it through the Public connection. But the rule doesn't stick.

Another app is missing from the list so I manually add it, and things work fine for that session. If I restart the system and go back to these rules, the manually added app is no longer in the list, and the already present app in the list has again reverted to Private only. I have to constantly reset these.

Why won't these apps stick in the allowed apps, and how do I fix it?

joelshort, Mar 14, 2020
  3. Windows Defender Firewall rule 4jxr4b3r3du76ina39a98x8k2 what does it do?

What does Windows defender firewall rule Windows Defender Firewall rule 4jxr4b3r3du76ina39a98x8k2 do?

How can I get around it blocking programs on my system?

BillPellegrini, Mar 14, 2020
  4. Adding a new rule using Windows Defender Firewall

Windows 10 Firewall won't keep my inbound/outbound rules

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience caused to you regarding the Windows Firewall. I will certainly assist you.

I suggest you to restart the Windows firewall service and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps for the same.

• Press Windows key + R simultaneously for Run.
    • Type services.msc and then Enter.
    • Right click on the Windows firewall services and then restart the services and check if it helps.
    If the issue still persists then I suggest you to remove and then read the Windows fire wall rule.

Hope this information is helpful. Please get back to us with the information required, if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Mar 14, 2020
Thema:

Adding a new rule using Windows Defender Firewall

1. Adding a new rule using Windows Defender Firewall - Similar Threads - Adding rule using

2. I create a new rule Windows Defender Firewall for outgoing and incoming traffic, a rule to...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I create a new rule Windows Defender Firewall for outgoing and incoming traffic, a rule to...: Hello, I create a new rule Windows Defender firewall for outgoing and incoming traffic, a rule to block all protocols etc. for PowerShell.exe application, will something get broken from Microsoft? I have Windows 10 PRO 21H1 x64. Let someone who has done something like this or...
  3. When are Windows Defender Firewall Rules In Effect

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    When are Windows Defender Firewall Rules In Effect: I am logged into the same domain as a SQL Server instance I am trying to connect to using SSMS, there are firewall rules in place inbound on the Windows 10 client to accept 1433/1433 TCP, and the Domain Firewall is off.I just tested this, and it appears the rules are active...
  4. Firewall rules

Firewall rules: [ATTACH] Does this symbol mean I have blocked outbound traffic for an application? If so why did the app just check for an update and confirm its current version? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/firewall-rules/870791a0-328a-4d5c-ad0a-be99f93dfdb0
  5. New rules are sometimes added to windows defender firewall (pc was idle 2-3h no updates etc.)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New rules are sometimes added to windows defender firewall (pc was idle 2-3h no updates etc.): Is my Win 10 compromised? Or what magical power is adding that? submitted by /u/PiperidinDerivat [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ko7i1n/new_rules_are_sometimes_added_to_windows_defender/
  6. Adding firewall rules

Adding firewall rules: I am trying to get Windows 10 mail app to work, going through the firewall, using "Malwarebytes Windows Firewall Control" . I have gotten instructions from the program maker to do this: Problem: Windows Mail can't synchronize folders: This applies to Windows 10 while Medium...
  7. Windows Firewall doesn't use my rules...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Firewall doesn't use my rules...: I'm planning on getting a VPN soon but wanted to make sure I can restrict an app to only use a VPN Connection (so my IP does'nt leak) by blocking my IP address in Firewall. I've been trying to set up a rule to do that with Firefox, but no matter what I try, Firefox is STILL...
  8. Firewall Rules

Firewall Rules: Can you setup exceptions for firewall rules? For example, if I have a port blocked inbound for ALL via GPO, can I create an exception to that rule to allow just certain IP addresses to get through the port being blocked? Win 10 ENT in a domain environment....
  9. Firewall rules

Firewall rules: I accidentally deleted outbound windows firewall rules. Will these reappear? Can this be dangerous? Please help. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/firewall-rules/1f7cbdda-d9e2-435a-96cb-6caef7699b88"
  10. Windows Firewall Rules

Windows Firewall Rules: I was looking at Windows Firewall with Adv Security and noticed 11 individual but seemingly identical entries for Microsoft Solitaire Collection. The default rules were to allow all. First, why 11? And second, why all any at all? Ditto for Stick Notes, Microsoft Phone,...