Windows 10: Adding a PIN to Windows Login

Discus and support Adding a PIN to Windows Login in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My father is in his late 80s and only uses the PC we set up for him to contact us, so that we can see and talk to him using Skype to check he’s ok as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Supporting_our_elders, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Adding a PIN to Windows Login

My father is in his late 80s and only uses the PC we set up for him to contact us, so that we can see and talk to him using Skype to check he’s ok as we live 500 miles away. He has been using the same PC and way of logging in for years and, as his memory is failing a bit, the familiarity gave him the confidence to use the PC to get in touch when anything worried him or he needed to show us a written communication he didn’t understand.

The introduction of a mandatory PIN has caused us all complete confusion and distress because it cannot be turned off and kept coming back asking to be set up. As far as I can see this cannot be turned off and even contacting Microsoft support and being online with them for hours, they could not fix it. They told me it was his Windows OS which was corrupt and wanted to re-install Windows which could have lost all his treasured photos of my late mother. It was with great difficulty that we originally got him to memorise how to turn on the PC, how to enter the password, and start up Skype (he’s not good at reading instructions). Adding something new and calling it a PIN is confusing because the only PIN he knows is his bank one.

We have just spent hours trying to sort this out and in the end found out that we could create his ‘PIN’ the same as his password by reading other posts on this site (thanks to those people - you may literally be lifesavers).

Did Microsoft even consider how this might affect our seniors who may have little knowledge of technology, who live far away from their families, and to whom a PIN is a 4 digit numeric code? Still now, if we try to turn this off in settings it just keeps coming back. And there seems to be no way to avoid setting up a PIN when asked to do so.

Because of this ill-thought out feature, which could be a massive security hole if our seniors use their bank PIN and then give it to the support guy, I would like to get him an iPAD instead, but can’t for the distress it would cause him switching to something completely new.

This is the first time I have posted anything like this on this site, but I wish your technical people could actually see the distress they cause by releasing something like this in a normal update and then forcing it to be mandatory immediately.

:)

Supporting_our_elders, Apr 12, 2019

2. OSK PIN login on non-touch device

Hello,

I suggest you to create a PIN for your device and try the on screen keyboard to login to the same.

You may follow the steps below to create PIN protection for your device.

• Go to Settings and select account.

• Click on sign in option and Go to PIN option.

• Now click on Add and set PIN for login.

You can use the same PIN to login to your device using the on screen Keyboard from ease of access option and verify the result.

Please get back to us with updated status. We will be happy to assist you further.

Anju Thekkethil, Apr 12, 2019
  3. Unable to login using The login PIN

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the pin and check fi it helps.

• In the login page next to “PIN password option”.
    • You will find “Other sign in options”, click on it will prompt you for regular password.
    • Enter regular password and login to the computer.
    • I suggest you to click on the Start Menu
      and select settings.
    • Now select Accounts.
    • Next select the tab Sign-in option.
    • Under the “PIN tab” click on “ADD” option.
    • It will prompt you for current pin password and new password, please provide
      new password then apply the changes, restart
      the computer and check if it works.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Apr 12, 2019
  4. Anne Ros Win User

Adding a PIN to Windows Login

Login with PIN and Hello

Hi Jean,

Windows 10 includes multiple options to sign-in to your account, including the ability to sign-in using a PIN and Windows Hello, which uses facial recognition. For us to provide a solution suited to your concern, we need additional information. Can
    you answer the questions below?

• How are you setting the PIN and Hello?
    • Which build version of Windows is your PC running on?
    • Were there any error codes or messages?

In the meantime, we suggest that you follow the steps below on how to set up PIN.

• Open Settings.
    • Select Accounts.
    • Click Sign-in options.
    • Click the Add button for the PIN and set your PIN.
    • Do the same for the Windows Hello.

Looking forward to your response.

Anne Ros, Apr 12, 2019
Thema:

Adding a PIN to Windows Login

1. Adding a PIN to Windows Login - Similar Threads - Adding PIN Login

2. login pin

in Windows 10 Gaming
    login pin: I used to see my login pin but recently it changed to black dots. How do I get it back to show the actual characters I type? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/login-pin/87392ccf-c47f-4f00-93c6-e6810435df33
  3. login pin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    login pin: I used to see my login pin but recently it changed to black dots. How do I get it back to show the actual characters I type? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/login-pin/87392ccf-c47f-4f00-93c6-e6810435df33
  4. PIN is not adding.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    PIN is not adding.: Hey, I am currently facing this issue and not able to add PIN to my windows 10 LTSC 2018 after resetting my laptop. If someone knows how to ressolve this issueso please reply....
  5. Adding windows hello pin

Adding windows hello pin: Hi there. I have a problem about adding windows hello pin. When i try to add, little windows appeared there called "microsoft account". And then i face error like this : "you will need the internet" , despite of i hav already connected. I also tried to restart laptop. But it...
  6. Adding windows hello pin

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Adding windows hello pin: Hi there. I had problem about adding microsoft account to my win10 laptop. there was error like this : "you will need the internet". But i had already connected. It fixed after i restarted laptop. But, while adding win hello pin i faced it again. "you will need the...
  7. Login Pin

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Login Pin: I have a Dell computer that is running windows 10. The computer currently does sign in by pin and I would like to change the pin. I have tried following directions online, but all of them describe changes made using windows hello and a "change pin" button. When I go to...
  8. Adding a PIN

Adding a PIN: I have always used a PIN to log in to my computer without any problems, but since 2 days ago weird things happened. It started with saying the organisation wanted me to change my PIN due to security reasons. I found out where that was coming from and changed my PIN in the...
  9. windows login pin

windows login pin: hi, I just installed windows 10 pro but did some tweaking in services.msc and everything checked out ok but I disable my login pin by accident other than that everything was good. does anyone remember where to enable in services.msc login pin? thanks for reading:)...
  10. Adding PIN issues

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Adding PIN issues: So I've seen this question thrown around multiple times in this community, and I have tried most solutions to no avail. Yes, I did the NGC folder thing and have done most, if not all system searches on the cmd with administrator permission. The problem started when I was...