Windows 10: Adding a second drive and disk numbers

Discus and support Adding a second drive and disk numbers in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently built a PC with only an SSD. Now I added an HDD for storage. I thought before adding the HDD that the SSD was Disk 0 because it was the only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Mike100, Aug 1, 2021.

1. Mike100 Win User

Adding a second drive and disk numbers

I recently built a PC with only an SSD. Now I added an HDD for storage. I thought before adding the HDD that the SSD was Disk 0 because it was the only drive. But after initializing the HDD it became Disk 0 and the SSD is now Disk 1. Is this normal behavior or did something go wrong? FWIW the SSD is the C: drive and the HDD is the D: drive.

:)

Mike100, Aug 1, 2021
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Aug 1, 2021
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Aug 1, 2021
  4. topgundcp Win User

Save RAW drive - Don't want data

Open Admin command prompt, then type:
    1. diskpart
    2. list disk ======> Take note of disk # of the RAW drive
    3. select disk # ======> is the number in step 2
    4. clean
    5. exit
    Open Disk Management and initialize it, Create Simple, format.

topgundcp, Aug 1, 2021
Thema:

1. Adding a second drive and disk numbers - Similar Threads - Adding second drive

2. Adding a second drive and disk numbers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Adding a second drive and disk numbers: I recently built a PC with only an SSD. Now I added an HDD for storage. I thought before adding the HDD that the SSD was Disk 0 because it was the only drive. But after initializing the HDD it became Disk 0 and the SSD is now Disk 1. Is this normal behavior or did something...
  3. Adding a second SSD and making it the primary and boot drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Adding a second SSD and making it the primary and boot drive: Unsure if this is the best place but I am trying to figure out how to best configure my storage for my Laptop. It has 2 NVMe Slots. Originally came with 500GB drive Added my own 1TB WD drive to empty NVME Slot Very little data on the original drive, most are in one...
  4. Adding a second administrator

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Adding a second administrator: Can I add an adult family member as a second administrator ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/adding-a-second-administrator/e91cbc60-a97e-405b-bf6f-d5a142c5e49e
  5. Adding a second HD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Adding a second HD: I would like to add the HD from my previous desktop to my new desktop. The few articles I've read have only to do with a NEW HD, not a loaded one and require formatting which I fear will erase the HD. Is this doable? Both are system 10. Any links would be appreciated....
  6. adding unallocated disk space to drive C:

adding unallocated disk space to drive C:: How can I add the unallocated disk space to drive C:\ when the unallocated space is not adjacent to the C:\ partitions are on the drive: such as Drives: E, F, G, H drive F:\ has been shrunk and I would like to add the unallocated space to the C:\ however, windows will not...
  7. Network assigning additional letters/numbers to disk drive.

Network assigning additional letters/numbers to disk drive.: AFter adding a disk drive to my network, the drive is assigned number and letters after the disk name. Programs cannot find the disk and I cannot rename it....
  8. Disk Manager Drives number confusion!

Disk Manager Drives number confusion!: This is for a brand new build. Specs; Component Make Model M.2 SSD Samsung (MZ-V6E500BW) 500GB 960 EVO PCI Express 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive Case Corsair Obsidian 750D AirFlow Full Tower ATX Processor AMD AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Gen2 8 Core AM4 Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX AMD...
  9. Disk Manager Drives number confusion!

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk Manager Drives number confusion!: This is for a brand new build. Specs; Component Make Model M.2 SSD Samsung (MZ-V6E500BW) 500GB 960 EVO PCI Express 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive Case Corsair Obsidian 750D AirFlow Full Tower ATX Processor AMD AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Gen2 8 Core AM4 Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX AMD...
  10. Adding second display

Adding second display: I am trying to connect a second monitor to my Inspiron 13 tablet using an HDMI cable. How do I get this to work? The monitor is on, but I am not finding anywhere in settings on the tablet it add it....