Windows 10: Adding a second monitor and selecting expanded mode

Discus and support Adding a second monitor and selecting expanded mode in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Have attempted to add a second monitor via vga switch cable. Both Monitors respond but can not switch to expanded mode. When click display settings... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MarcLegere, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Adding a second monitor and selecting expanded mode

Have attempted to add a second monitor via vga switch cable. Both Monitors respond but can not switch to expanded mode. When click display settings the expand option does not come up in the multi display listing. When press detect only one monitor is detected. Are there options for connection that will allow expand mode for two displays under windows 10?

:)

MarcLegere, Sep 27, 2018

2. Virtual second monitor/screen on expand mode?

Windows 10 virtual desktop looks good, but is there a way to create a virtual desktop which expands my current desktop, as if I had a physical monitor plugged in and my projection mode on 'Expand'?

The idea would be to have a virtual monitor that you could add to the Windows system, that works exactly the same as a physical monitor on expand mode, but which is captured by a program (Qt, DirectX or the like) and transmitted over IP, bluetooth or any
    other wireless medium to one or more receivers (raspberry pi or the like). In turn, these receivers transmit the data over HDMI to the TVs. This could be useful when one wishes to temporarily turn a "normal" gathering room into a conference room equipped with
    TV sets (e.g., a rented room that is usually used for weddings).

Note that I'm really looking for an 'Expand' projection mode, even if we could achieve the same result with the existing virtual desktops, because I think my solution should be used by people with little understanding of using PCs. Essentially, they need
    to be able to drag a window from the physical monitor to the second screen as if they had a second monitor or a projector.

It seems it's possible to fake having a second monitor by adding a resistor somewhere on the VGA interface. That would do the trick, but that seems like an ugly solution. It's also possible to buy an actual second monitor and capture
    that monitor, but I feel like Windows should offer a purely software solution to this.

AnthonyDentinger, Sep 27, 2018
  3. issue with second monitor

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused. I will be glad to assist you with this.

I would suggest you to download the display driver from the manufacturer's website. If there are no driver for windows 10, download the latest driver and install it in compatibility mode by following the steps below:

After you have downloaded the driver:

a) Right-click on the setup file of the driver and select "Properties".

b) Select "Compatibility" Tab.

c) Place a check mark next to "Run this program in Compatibility mode" and select the

appropriate operating system from the drop down list.

d) Let the driver install and then check the functionality

I would also suggest you to refer to the link below for steps to set up dual monitor in your system.

Connect a second monitor or projector (Applies to windows 10)

You can also refer to the suggestion by Karthik from this link
    for more information.

Hope this helps. Do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to help.

Wungraileng1709, Sep 27, 2018
  4. Adding a second monitor and selecting expanded mode

Error: No signal on second monitor after upgrade to Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your inconvenience caused to you with accessing the second monitor, we will help you with this issue.

This issue might have occurred due to outdated/ corrupted drivers.

As you have already tried to update the drivers and issue still persists, I suggest you to uninstall the existing drivers for second monitor and re0install them from the manufacturer's website.

Step 1: Steps to uninstall the drivers for the Display Adapter.

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapter.
    • Right on the Display Adapter and click on
      Uninstall
    • Restart the computer.

Step 2: Also, contact the manufacturer's website and try to install those drivers for your device.

You can install Windows 8/8.1 drivers in compatibility mode if there are no Windows 10 compatible drivers.

Follow the steps to install in Compatibility mode:

• Download the updated driver from the manufacturer’s website.
    • Right click the driver installation file and select
      Properties then tap or click the Compatibility tab.
    • Place a check in the Run this program in compatibility mode for: box.
    • Tap the drop down box and select a previous operating system, then tap or click
      OK.
    • Try installing the driver and check.

To know more about this issue, I suggest you to refer to the article by
    Andre Da Costa
    and check:

How to add and use a second monitor with Windows

Hope it helps. Kindly let us know if you need further assistance with Windows Operating System. We will be glad to assist you.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 27, 2018
Thema:

Adding a second monitor and selecting expanded mode

1. Adding a second monitor and selecting expanded mode - Similar Threads - Adding second monitor

2. Remote Desktop not expanding screen to second monitor in version 1.2.5105.0

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop not expanding screen to second monitor in version 1.2.5105.0: Today 2024/01/11, I updated the version of the remote desktop application to 1.2.5105.0, when I started using it I noticed that it was no longer expanding the screen to my number 1 monitor, even though I selected this in the settings print. As I didn't want to change the...
  3. Remote Desktop not expanding screen to second monitor in version 1.2.5105.0

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Desktop not expanding screen to second monitor in version 1.2.5105.0: Today 2024/01/11, I updated the version of the remote desktop application to 1.2.5105.0, when I started using it I noticed that it was no longer expanding the screen to my number 1 monitor, even though I selected this in the settings print. As I didn't want to change the...
  4. Monitor Dims when second monitor is selected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor Dims when second monitor is selected: I have 2 monitors identical View Sonic devices Recently when I select a program on one of the monitors, the other monitor goes dim. If I select a program on the second monitor, the unselected monitor first monitor goes dim. The interesting thing is that if I log in as the...
  5. Monitor Dims when second monitor is selected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor Dims when second monitor is selected: I have 2 monitors identical View Sonic devices Recently when I select a program on one of the monitors, the other monitor goes dim. If I select a program on the second monitor, the unselected monitor first monitor goes dim. The interesting thing is that if I log in as the...
  6. Monitor Dims when second monitor is selected

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Second monitor problem after sleep mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Second monitor problem after sleep mode: So i have a dual monitor setup, the main one is connected through DP and the other through HDMI. Whenever I put my pc to sleep mode, and turn it back on, all the windows I had on my second monitor move the my main one, and i get a popup from my Radeon Driver, saying that...
  8. Second monitor goes to sleep mode for no reason

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Second monitor goes to sleep mode for no reason: Hello, I have to monitors linked to my GTX 660. Main one through HDMI and the second one to DVI port via VGA adapter monitor has VGA. It's been working fine but whenever I wake my PC up from sleep mode the second monitor VGA one is in sleep mode and after logging in I have...
  9. Adding third monitor made second monitor blurry!

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Adding third monitor made second monitor blurry!: Hey all - Been lurking here for a while and have found many answers, but after searching with no resolution found. I was issued a new Dell laptop for work with Win10 1709 - it's a core i5 6300u 2.4Ghz with an intel HD 520 graphics card. I was running two 24 inch monitors at...
  10. Expanding / adding disks RAID 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Expanding / adding disks RAID 10: Not sure where to post this. I have windows 10 Pro. I'm about to upgrade my RAID and am going with (4) 8TB HGST He's I am presently using (4) 6TB WD red NAS drives in windows Storage Spaces utilizing a two-way mirror and it's my understanding it can only withstand 1 drive...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. add a second monitor expanded