Windows 10: Adding a second monitor to a Dell computer with only a VGA port

Discus and support Adding a second monitor to a Dell computer with only a VGA port in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have a Dell laptop which has only a VGA monitor port for adding a second monitor. How can I attach a second monitor using this VGA port and still... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Nizzy Eades, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Adding a second monitor to a Dell computer with only a VGA port

I have a Dell laptop which has only a VGA monitor port for adding a second monitor. How can I attach a second monitor using this VGA port and still make use of virtual desktop? If I add the second monitor it automatically opts to use the chip set that monitor 1 is using and therefore I can either elect to duplicate my screens or extend monitor 1; otherwise I am given the choice to see and use only one window or the other. Opening an app on virtual display 2 reverts to display 1 to use the app. I can't seem to open and use a second virtual window. . At some point in looking up Help I saw a reference to possibly using a USB port to add the second monitor but no further explanation was given and I cannot find such a reference again. Does anyone have another suggestion?

:)

Nizzy Eades, Jan 8, 2019

2. VGA Port Not Broadcasting to Second Monitor

Machine: Lenovo - Ideacentre 300S Desktop - Intel Core i3 - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive
    Processor Model: Intel 4th Generation Core i3
    Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics 4400

Backstory: I had my computer setup and working properly with dual monitors. I needed to use my work computer with the my monitors, so I unplugged both without shutting down my desktop. When I went to plug in the monitors, I had some trouble getting them to display. I eventually got my primary monitor working via a HDMI cable. However, the VGA connected monitor was not being detected.

Problem: I've tried to use the Windows Key + P to setup the computer for extended desktops. However the monitor is still not detecting a signal from my machine and the machine does not detect the monitor.

• I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers on the graphics card.
    • I've tried a system restore to a period prior to the problem.
    • I tried purchasing a cable that converts the VGA port to an HDMI connection at the monitor and that didn't help.

I'm somewhat proficient with computers and at a point where I don't know of any other solutions. I talked with somebody at Best Buy where I purchased the machine, and the suggested it could be faulty hardware. Given the number of people experiencing the same problem, I suspect that's not the case. Anybody have suggestions? Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Favorite414, Jan 8, 2019
  3. oodles Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade messed up 2nd monitor resolution on vga port

Running ASUS A88X-PRO connected to 2 identical ASUS ProArt 246 monitors at 1920x1200 recommended resolution. One monitor connected through DVI port and second monitor on the VGA port. Everything worked fine with Windows 8.

Upgraded to Windows 10 monitor on the VGA port would only display the central 70-80% portion of the image even though both monitors set to the same 1920x1200 resolution.

Installed latest BIOS and chipset updates and drivers for Windows 10. Tried swapping monitors but problem is always with the VGA port monitor. Went through Control Panel, rechecked display settings numerous times without improvment.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

oodles, Jan 8, 2019
  4. SML1693 Win User

Adding a second monitor to a Dell computer with only a VGA port

dual monitor using VGA splitter Y cable

I have added a second monitor using a 2 port VGA monitor splitter VGA HD-15 splitter Y cable. Second monitor simply displays same thing as 1st one. Windows cannot detect the second monitor. Help?

SML1693, Jan 8, 2019
Thema:

Adding a second monitor to a Dell computer with only a VGA port

1. Adding a second monitor to a Dell computer with only a VGA port - Similar Threads - Adding second monitor

2. VGA port not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VGA port not working: I recently got a new computer, HP ENVY Desktop TE01-3197c, with Windows 11. I connect two monitors to it, one using VGA and the second using DVI-d, and only the second monitor is working, the computer doesn't recognize the other. I tried going to the advanced setting and...
  3. VGA port not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VGA port not working: I recently got a new computer, HP ENVY Desktop TE01-3197c, with Windows 11. I connect two monitors to it, one using VGA and the second using DVI-d, and only the second monitor is working, the computer doesn't recognize the other. I tried going to the advanced setting and...
  4. What Cable To Use on Monitor with HDMI, and VGA Port on Computer

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    What Cable To Use on Monitor with HDMI, and VGA Port on Computer: Received my new HP Pro desktop, and find this computer doesn't have a HDMI port. Only a VGA one. So, what type of cable will be needed? Seems I need a cable with VGA male on one end and HDMI male on the other end for it to work. Is this the way to go, or do I need something...
  5. What Cable To Use on Monitor with HDMI, and VGA Port on Computer

in Windows 10 Support
    What Cable To Use on Monitor with HDMI, and VGA Port on Computer: Received my new HP Pro desktop, and find this computer doesn't have a HDMI port. Only a VGA one. So, what type of cable will be needed? Seems I need a cable with VGA male on one end and HDMI male on the other end for it to work. Is this the way to go, or do I need something...
  6. VGA Port not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    VGA Port not working: Alright so I had this old computer with parts that were made in 2012 or so and it had no graphics card, 3 years later I bought my current pc which has a NVIDIA gtx 950, I could use a VGA cable on my old pc just fine, but this current one only works with an HDMI cable, while...
  7. a vga monitor

a vga monitor: hi I purchased a better graphics card for one of my pc. s regretfully I sold it on. this was a gtx 980. now the new gtx 1070 will not recognise my vga monitor. I have tried running it through various adapters . i.e vga to dvi and hdmi to vga. hdmi to dvi. all no good....
  8. How do I add Monitor for Extended Display: Only one VGA Port

How do I add Monitor for Extended Display: Only one VGA Port: Hello: I have Dell Desktop with Intel integrated graphics card. There's is only one VGA port in the back of the tower. I do see what appears to be an HDMI port directly above that. I'd like to add another monitor so as to have an extended display. I did try a USB to VGA...
  9. How do I add Monitor for Extended Display: Only one VGA Port

How do I add Monitor for Extended Display: Only one VGA Port: Hello: I have Dell Desktop with Intel integrated graphics card. There's is only one VGA port in the back of the tower. I do see what appears to be an HDMI port directly above that. I'd like to add another monitor so as to have an extended display. I did try a USB to VGA...
  10. VGA Port Not Broadcasting to Second Monitor

VGA Port Not Broadcasting to Second Monitor: Machine: Lenovo - Ideacentre 300S Desktop - Intel Core i3 - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive OS: Windows 10 Processor Model: Intel 4th Generation Core i3 Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics 4400 Backstory: I had my computer setup and working properly with dual monitors. I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. adding second monitor dell

2. ADDING A SECOND MONITOR ON A DELL COMPUTER

3. adding second monitor on a dell laptop via vga