Windows 10: Adding a security key for PC login in Windows 10 Build 1903

Discus and support Adding a security key for PC login in Windows 10 Build 1903 in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi! I'm in possession of a yubikey 5 and wanted to setup my machine to use that instead of my password to login on boot. I read that the new Windows... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by `[o]~[o]´, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Adding a security key for PC login in Windows 10 Build 1903

Hi!

I'm in possession of a yubikey 5 and wanted to setup my machine to use that instead of my password to login on boot.

I read that the new Windows build supports that so I tried to set it up.

After going to the relevant settings screen (sign-in options), I clicked on the "Manage" button in the security key section.

After inserting and tipping the key, I could only add or change the PIN or reset to factory state. The PIN settings seemed optional to me so I didn't touch them at first (I don't think It's neccessary to add one in my case, after all I already have a password) But after rebooting, It still only asked for a password with no option on the loginscreen saying something different. After adding a PIN (which I now can't remove anymore), it still didn't work.

How do I actually enable this?

In all honesty, this is the most difficult and confusing way to setup a security key I ever encountered. Even one-man-Web-Applications do a better job at this.

Thank you in advance.

PS: I didn't setup a Microsoft account(with email etc) for login (only a local account) but this couldn't be the issue, right?

:)

`[o]~[o]´, Jun 9, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jun 9, 2019
  3. windows 10 key

Thanks but I don't want to do any decrypting. I want to download a Win 10 ISO from Microsoft and install it using my Win 8 key. No other steps required. Is that possible?

Easy Rhino, Jun 9, 2019
  4. P4-630 Win User

Adding a security key for PC login in Windows 10 Build 1903

DOWNLOAD WINDOWS 10 NOW - Upgrade and ISO direct from microsoft

Click to expand... Yeah I went to that site, why do I need to buy a key?
    I won't buy a key, stupid.

I'll revert back to windows 7 then.

When I still was on windows 7, about a year ago I added 4GB extra ram which is a total of 8GB now,
    is that causing the problem?

P4-630, Jun 9, 2019
Thema:

Adding a security key for PC login in Windows 10 Build 1903

1. Adding a security key for PC login in Windows 10 Build 1903 - Similar Threads - Adding security key

2. Windows 11 blocks login for "added security info"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 blocks login for "added security info": In their ever more pushy quest to harvest personal data, Microsoft have decided that I need to provide a phone number or alternate email address and Windows 11 is blocking login until I provide them. Is there a way to bypass this without being able to login in the first...
  3. Windows 11 blocks login for "added security info"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 blocks login for "added security info": In their ever more pushy quest to harvest personal data, Microsoft have decided that I need to provide a phone number or alternate email address and Windows 11 is blocking login until I provide them. Is there a way to bypass this without being able to login in the first...
  4. Adding a Google account secured with Titan Security Key to Windows 10 Mail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adding a Google account secured with Titan Security Key to Windows 10 Mail: I am trying to add my Google email account to Windows 10 mail.The account is secured with the Titan security key hardware 2FA.I go through the motions of adding a new Account->Gmail Account. A window opens where it goes to the Google authentication page. Enter username and...
  5. Updating Windows 10 Build to 1903

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updating Windows 10 Build to 1903: I'm trying to update some of my devices that currently have a Windows 10 Build to version 1903. Is there a way to get to the latest build without an internet connection, IE not going through Windows Update?...
  6. Windows 10 Update build 1903

Windows 10 Update build 1903: USB External Hard Disk was used for extra space while updating Windows 10 Build 1903. After about 2 hours of access during update after download, the screen shows Error - "Please insert the external storage media and press OK". The USB Disk is not being accessed nor its Power...
  7. downgrade windows 10 build 1903

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    downgrade windows 10 build 1903: I need windows 10 build 1803/1089 cuz windows 10 1903 not support with my video card can someone share where to download windows 10 1803/1809 I cant find it...
  8. Windows 10 1903 build 18362.207

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 1903 build 18362.207: Is it normal to have 112 processes going in the back ground? 60 of which are service host. Shows Edge even when not opened. Opened Crome and it shows 15. My CPU stays like this. What can I do????[ATTACH]...
  9. Windows 10 1903 build update

Windows 10 1903 build update: After i installed the update (1903) and only after a second restart cause of the slowness of my pc, that i thought was due to the big update ( took 1,5 hours to install itself on my pc) , the entire start menu crushes.I can still search in the new search bar for "settings"...
  10. windows build 1903

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows build 1903: A M D R7 windows stopped driver fault code 43 can you help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-build-1903/220fde84-ce57-41a5-a2a4-de28ad6a9a8b