Windows 10: Adding a SSD keeping old HD

Discus and support Adding a SSD keeping old HD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Putting and SSD in the system and will just do a fresh install of windows 10 and make it C:\. I know about going to settings, system, storage, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by CarlSmithe, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Adding a SSD keeping old HD

Putting and SSD in the system and will just do a fresh install of windows 10 and make it C:\. I know about going to settings, system, storage, and changing the destinations. But will everything be found OK, or do I need to reinstall all the programs?

:)

CarlSmithe, Sep 17, 2018

2. Adding an old SSD to new computer

When I got my new computer, I also got another SSD, so now that I am adding the old SSD in addition to my new one and HDD I am not sure what to do. Before I added my SSD from my old one, I reinstalled Windows 10 on it. I do not want to remove it since it
    cost me money, so I am keeping it as a backup, however when I open file explorer, I see 4 disks; Local Disk (CAdding a SSD keeping old HD :), HDD (DAdding a SSD keeping old HD :), System Reserved (EAdding a SSD keeping old HD :), and Local Disk (EAdding a SSD keeping old HD :). The last two have only appeared after I have added the old SSD.

My problem is that I would like to use my old disk for games, yet want to keep another copy of Windows 10. Additionally I don't fully understand why the System Reserved disk shows up and would not like to see it, do you know what I can do?

GeryMolnar, Sep 17, 2018
  3. OldMike65 Win User
    Added SSD Drive for Windows only but desktop keeps booting from old HD

Yes it could be, but to check, user should disconnect his old drive then reboot. then if it boots to Windows 10, with no problems, he can go into his bios, and see if it now shows up correctly. I was just asking him to do some basic steps, for trouble shooting purposes.

OldMike65, Sep 17, 2018
  4. Adding a SSD keeping old HD

Adding an old SSD to new computer

To use the Old SSD for games, it would be recommended o just cleanly format it. Losing the Old installed Widnows in the old SSD is perfectly fine, since you will still be able to have its license online (On your MS Account).

Before cleanly formating it, please to to recover your important personal-old files first.

System reserve shows up, when you have the old SSD, then is belong to the said drive. If you do not plan to boot from the old SSD anymore, then it is ok to Delete it together with the old Windows 10 installation.

If your concern is that you have the Legacy version of Windows 10 (1511 and 1607), then I suggedt that you just keep the drive.

Gina_on_the_thread, Sep 17, 2018
Thema:

Adding a SSD keeping old HD

1. Adding a SSD keeping old HD - Similar Threads - Adding SSD keeping

2. Adding a SSD to old PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Adding a SSD to old PC: submitted by /u/Lefty_Wrighty [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j9vccp/adding_a_ssd_to_old_pc/
  3. Adding an SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Adding an SSD: Hi everyone, haven't posted anything in a long while. Although I haven't got a problem per se, more of a technical question - I would like to add an SSD to my workstation that has a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard but I'm not sure it's possible. I essentially would like to...
  4. Windows10 SSD+HD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows10 SSD+HD: Nemrég sikeresen migráltam cca 800 GB-os HD partícióról egy 120 GB-os SSD-re a 18363.535-ös Windows 10-et és szerencsésen sikerült az aktiválása is. Az SSD eléggé megtelt a feltelepített programok miatt, ezért szeretném a régi merevlemez egyik partíciójára vissza migrálni az...
  5. Adding a second HD

Adding a second HD: I would like to add the HD from my previous desktop to my new desktop. The few articles I've read have only to do with a NEW HD, not a loaded one and require formatting which I fear will erase the HD. Is this doable? Both are system 10. Any links would be appreciated....
  6. Added SSD to Old Laptop

Added SSD to Old Laptop: I purchased an Samsung 860 EVO SATA 500GB SSD and installed it in my old ASUS X53U laptop. Cloning the drive was very straightforward and it boots up nicely and seems to be working ok but I have a couple of questions. The BIOS reports LEGACY BIOS but UEFI is an option....
  7. Reformatting SSD and not HD

Reformatting SSD and not HD: Hello there! I have an MSI Laptop with a 128gb SSD and a 500gb HD. I have windows installed on my SSD and personal files on my HD. But now my SSD is almost full i wish to format it / reinstall windows 10 on it for a fresh start, but without losing the data on my HD. I...
  8. Replacing old HD with SSD - product key question

Replacing old HD with SSD - product key question: The hard drive in my laptop is dying. I am upgrading to an SSD this weekend. I have a couple of hopefully quick questions. My laptop originally came with Windows 8.1. As soon as I was able to I did the free upgrade to Windows 10. I really do not want to purchase a copy of...
  9. Added SSD Drive for Windows only but desktop keeps booting from old HD

Added SSD Drive for Windows only but desktop keeps booting from old HD: Hey, So I've recently bought an SSD Drive soley for the purpose of running Windows. The original Hard Drive was a 2TB Samsung drive that I have since formatted and using for Storage only. Installed Windows 10 on the SSD and the machine is working great, boots up in aound...
  10. HD too SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    HD too SSD: Almost a year I updated my Windows 7 pro to Windows 10 Pro. Now I would like to replace my DH with an SSD. I will make a clone of the HD to the SSD with AOMEI Backupper Professional. What about my Microsoft Windows License? Will it still be valid? thanks in advance for...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. adding an ssd but keeping old hdd

2. keeping old programs when changing ssd

3. adding SSD keeping c drive