Windows 10: Adding a used external (via USB) Western Digital HD to Windows 10

Discus and support Adding a used external (via USB) Western Digital HD to Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am trying to add a used Western Digital WD3200BUCT hard disk to my Windows 10 PC, via a USB connection.. Disk Management recognises that it is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by goshjm, Sep 30, 2018.

1. goshjm Win User

Adding a used external (via USB) Western Digital HD to Windows 10

I am trying to add a used Western Digital WD3200BUCT hard disk to my Windows 10 PC, via a USB connection..

Disk Management recognises that it is there (including its full name), says that it is "Online" and also says that it has a "Healthy (GPT Protective Partition)". However it also claims that it has "2048.00GB" capacity, when it is only a 320GB drive! It is also not currently formatted to the NTFS File System.

When I 'right-click' the blue bar, everything except "Help" is 'greyed-out'. When I right click the 'Disk 6' box, only the "Convert to Dynamic Disk", "Offline", "Properties" & "Help" are not "greyed-out'. When I try to convert it to a "Dynamic Disk", it ends up saying that "The operation is not supported by the object".

I've run out of road - help!

Many thanks in advance!

:)

goshjm, Sep 30, 2018
  2. JGDTexas Win User

Western Digital USB Backup Drive and MS Auto Optimization

I have a Western Digital external USB drive that automatically backs up files.

After upgrading to Win 10 I was surprised to see that it was listed with C:, etc. and it appears to be there because Win 10 intends to analyze and optimize it. I don't think Win 10 should be messing with the files on the Western Digital drive because the
    WD s/w will probably not be able to retrieve anything. Thanks.

Two questions:

- is Win 10 going to try and optimize the WD drive and files?

- if so, how do I remove it from the list?

JGDTexas, Sep 30, 2018
  3. Oscnn Win User
    1.5TB Western Digital External Hard Drive + $10 Gift Card $100

Newegg has 1.5TB Western Digital My Book Essential USB 2.0 External Hard Drive + $10 Gift Card for $100.

Oscnn, Sep 30, 2018
  4. Adding a used external (via USB) Western Digital HD to Windows 10

Western Digital Elements Desktop External HD NOT being seen by Windows 10

My Western Digital Elements Desktop External drive is not being seen by my PC since I had to update to Windows 10. This seems to be a major problem for many Western Digital drive owners. Have there been ANY sort of driver updates to fix this issue? This
    is my primary back up for my PC and I need this to work going forward. Right now it is just a very expensive brick.

jessicadwyer_fangirl, Sep 30, 2018
Thema:

Adding a used external (via USB) Western Digital HD to Windows 10

1. Adding a used external (via USB) Western Digital HD to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Adding used external

2. Western Digital My Book 1230 External Drive Not Recognized

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Western Digital My Book 1230 External Drive Not Recognized: Ok I have googled and tried tons of suggestions for a solution and nothing has worked. My WD External HD makes the connecting noise when I plug it in, but doesn't show up in My Computer.It is in Device Manager, but not Disk Management it showed up once there but I couldn't do...
  3. Western Digital My Book 1230 External Drive Not Recognized

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Western Digital My Book 1230 External Drive Not Recognized: Ok I have googled and tried tons of suggestions for a solution and nothing has worked. My WD External HD makes the connecting noise when I plug it in, but doesn't show up in My Computer.It is in Device Manager, but not Disk Management it showed up once there but I couldn't do...
  4. Cannot initialize external Western Digital 8 TB in disk management that was formally used...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot initialize external Western Digital 8 TB in disk management that was formally used...: Got a good deal on a WD SSD, so I moved the contents from the 8 TB WD drive to the SSD using my Xbox. Disconnected the WD HD to my Lenovo laptop. Here is what i see in Disk Management:when right-clicking on the drive :I can re-connect the D back to the Xbox, format it, and it...
  5. Cannot initialize external Western Digital 8 TB in disk management that was formally used...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot initialize external Western Digital 8 TB in disk management that was formally used...: Got a good deal on a WD SSD, so I moved the contents from the 8 TB WD drive to the SSD using my Xbox. Disconnected the WD HD to my Lenovo laptop. Here is what i see in Disk Management:when right-clicking on the drive :I can re-connect the D back to the Xbox, format it, and it...
  6. Western Digital Passport USB issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Western Digital Passport USB issue: Hi, I just bought this laptop and I am trying to plug my WD passport USB into it and it wont work. It says the driver is unavailable Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/western-digital-passport-usb-issue/5e275c22-e131-4a40-80ee-c88c418d1da2
  7. Seagate & Western Digital external drives not accessible on Windows 10 PC & Laptop

Seagate & Western Digital external drives not accessible on Windows 10 PC & Laptop: Hello, I have two external drives that I use for both my laptop and PC. One is a Seagate and the other Western Digital. They are accessible on my laptop I use for work. I have not changed anything in regards to settings on my personal laptop and PC prior to having the...
  8. western digital passport

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    western digital passport: stopped working after last update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/western-digital-passport/c7f43d6b-7de2-489d-a88c-67636e65b104
  9. wd16000b14 ffa western digital extERNAL HD

wd16000b14 ffa western digital extERNAL HD: wd16000b14 ffa western digital extERNAL HD ISNT RECOGNIZED BY WIN 10 any one know why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wd16000b14-ffa-western-digital-external-hd/1e14ef1c-e436-4047-ac8d-77fed65479dc
  10. Problems on USB message on LG TV - Western Digital 5TB External HD

Problems on USB message on LG TV - Western Digital 5TB External HD: Hi, My LG 42LX6900 displays the above message whenever I connect my new Western Digital 5TB HD. I have formated, created 3 partitions ensuring that none of them exceeded 2TB and tried googing for solutions. I had this issue before with a 3TB Seagate HD and I recall...