Windows 10: Adding an SSD to an existing, and quite old, Win10 PC installation

Discus and support Adding an SSD to an existing, and quite old, Win10 PC installation in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; hi, I have a new 250gb SSD to add in a PC with Win10 and currently running on two HDD, one with the SO and another one acting as an archive. I'd go... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ProfessionalDraft738, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Adding an SSD to an existing, and quite old, Win10 PC installation

hi,

I have a new 250gb SSD to add in a PC with Win10 and currently running on two HDD, one with the SO and another one acting as an archive.

I'd go for a clean install on the SSD, without touching the existing HDDs and then eventually transfering few files to the new drive.

My concern is having all the "Old Windows" files in the HDD that would then interfere with the new installation, ex. cannot being able to delete them due to TrustedInstaller being the only allowed to...

What do you suggest me to do?

submitted by /u/ProfessionalDraft738
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ProfessionalDraft738, Oct 19, 2020
  2. Josh_922 Win User

Win10 clean install on Samsung SSD 850 EVO

BLUF: SSD is not listed ubder "Where do you want to install Windows?"

Steps Complete:

1. I've create a Win10 bootable install usb.

2. I connect the new Samsung SSD 850 EVO via SATA.

3. I reboot PC and verify SSD is seen by the motherboard/BIOS

4. Begin Win10 install via usb.

5. Get to "Where do you want to install Windows?" and the SSD is not listed

Problems:

1. Samsung does not offer a driver for the 850 on their website

2. Cannot locate driver elsewhere

Unsuccessful Mitigations Steps Attempt:

A. Format & partition SSD via Windows Disk Management, then retried steps 1-5 above....same result

B. Clone existing HHD onto SSD via "Image for Windows" by TeraByte, then verified SSD contents via Windows Explorer....similar result

Can you please offer some advice on locating a driver for a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB drive? Or an alternative method?

Thank you

Josh_922, Oct 19, 2020
  3. xkm1948 Win User
    Migrating Win10 to NVMe SSD

I am going to migrate my Win10 to my NVMe SSD. Installation wise there should be no problem. However I cannot seem to be able to erase the old Windows 10 on the SATA SSD. If I boot from USB Win10 Installation media it only ask me whether I want to repair the SATA SSD Win10 or not. Any ideas on how to complete erase the SSD that currently have Win10 on it? I tried sanitize drive and PSID revert in Win10, neither would work. The SATA SSD is Crucial MX200.

xkm1948, Oct 19, 2020
  4. Adding an SSD to an existing, and quite old, Win10 PC installation

Existing OS win10 pc swap

Win10 is installed on the ssd and I want to use it as new OS SSD with the old Win10 installation in the new system

MeisterHawk, Oct 19, 2020
Thema:

Adding an SSD to an existing, and quite old, Win10 PC installation

1. Adding an SSD to an existing, and quite old, Win10 PC installation - Similar Threads - Adding SSD existing

2. Transferring an existing Win10 to a FreeDOS pc

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transferring an existing Win10 to a FreeDOS pc: Hello, I recently bought a new FreeDOS pc and I want to transfer my license from my current pc to my new one. My current one had win7 and I upgraded it a few years ago to win10. I couldnt find any license key or something like that so I was wondering how I can transfer this...
  3. Adding a SSD to old PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Adding a SSD to old PC: submitted by /u/Lefty_Wrighty [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j9vccp/adding_a_ssd_to_old_pc/
  4. Existing OS win10 pc swap

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Existing OS win10 pc swap: Hi, I had a laptop with win10 and a ssd in it but never used it. I put now the ssd into a new pc and it seems to work fine. Do I have to do a new installation of win 10 or can I use the old installation? thx...
  5. adding an existing child accnt to a PC

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    adding an existing child accnt to a PC: I have 3 child accounts, I am attempting to add to a PC. I was able to make local accounts for them but every time I try to log them into their Microsoft account it says that It cant. I have tried making accounts from the parent profile but it fails with no explanation....
  6. Clean install win10 on ssd and formating old hdd?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean install win10 on ssd and formating old hdd?: Hey fellow redditors! For the first time ever I will get myself a gaming pc, my brothers old pc. It has an HDD with Windows 10 and other stuff. I am planning to clean install the Windows on the SSD and remove/blank the HDD. I know how to install the Windows on the SSD. But...
  7. Added SSD to Old Laptop

Added SSD to Old Laptop: I purchased an Samsung 860 EVO SATA 500GB SSD and installed it in my old ASUS X53U laptop. Cloning the drive was very straightforward and it boots up nicely and seems to be working ok but I have a couple of questions. The BIOS reports LEGACY BIOS but UEFI is an option....
  8. Adding a SSD keeping old HD

Adding a SSD keeping old HD: Putting and SSD in the system and will just do a fresh install of windows 10 and make it C:\. I know about going to settings, system, storage, and changing the destinations. But will everything be found OK, or do I need to reinstall all the programs?...
  9. Installing Win10 to a new build PC using 'existing' Win10

Installing Win10 to a new build PC using 'existing' Win10: Hi. I've finally allowed my Win7 to be upgraded to Win10. I built my PC myself and may build another in the future which is why I've downloaded the Media Creation Tool. I was about to make a start when I got this message (see pic). Can anyone tell me if I'll have...
  10. win10 install to SSD

win10 install to SSD: Windows install says ( Can't install on USB flash drive.). That's how it sees my SSD. Do I have to put my original HDD back in, image SSD to it and then try to install? 13087