Windows 10: Adding another hard disk

Discus and support Adding another hard disk in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, Planning to remove a hard disk from my old computer and install it as third disk in the new computer for data only. It has on it the crippled... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Motim, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Motim Win User

Adding another hard disk

Hello,
    Planning to remove a hard disk from my old computer and install it as third disk in the new computer for data only.
    It has on it the crippled windows 10.
    Before using it I have to wipe it clean (partition, format), but first when I turn on the computer, will it affect my helthy win 10 on the new computer (two operating systems ?).
    And another thing, is there any jumper settings on the disk (I remember the days I installed IDE disks), this one as the others is SATA.
    In the bios settings is first the optical drive, then second the disk with the system on it.
    Answers will be appreciated.
    Thanks

:)

Motim, Sep 1, 2018

2. External Hard disk contents are not visible.

Hi Pranoti,

For us to narrow down your concern with your external hard disk, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Do you hear any clicking sound when connecting your hard disk?

In the meantime, we suggest that you update all your device driver.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Sep 1, 2018
  3. Hard Disk Failure : Event ID 13150

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
    and check.

Follow the steps to run the troubleshooter:

• Type "Troubleshooting" in the Search box from the desktop and click "Troubleshooting".
    • Click on "View all" from the left pane and select "Hardware and Devices".
    • Click on “Advanced” and then click on “Run as Administrator”.
    • Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

If issue still persists, I suggest you to run check disk on the hard drive to see if there are any corruptions.

Follow the below steps:

1. Press Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin).

2. In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

chkdsk /f

Disclaimer: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found then check disk will try to repair that sector. Any data available on a bad sector might be
    lost.

Once Check Disk completes, boot the computer and then check if the issue resolved.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank You

Anju Thekkethil, Sep 1, 2018
  4. Riel Alc Win User

Adding another hard disk

Remove spare hard disk as system disk

Thank you for your reply.

There's a possibility that your HDD was detected as OS drive during the Windows installation. To remove your HDD as system disk, we suggest reformatting it. To do so, please follow the steps below:

• Open Disk Management.
    • Right-click on your HDD, then select Format.
    • On the Format windows, type your preferred Volume label,
      File system (NTFS is recommended)
      , Allocation unit size (leave as Default).
    • Check the Perform a quick format option, then click
      OK

Note: Please back up your files before reformatting the drive.

Feel free to post back should you need further help.

Riel Alc, Sep 1, 2018
Thema:

Adding another hard disk

1. Adding another hard disk - Similar Threads - Adding another hard

2. File transferring to another hard disk

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File transferring to another hard disk: So I was downloading a game from the Epic Games store and I wouldnt let me download because the disk it was in didnt have enough space. I need help because I dont know how to transfer it because its like embedded there. I also accidentally deleted a hard disk, but it didnt...
  3. C drive shortcut created on another hard disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C drive shortcut created on another hard disk: Hi From yesterday i noticed that a C drive Primary disk drive shortcut is automatically created on my D drive where i stored my album and video files.On openning i saw same contents as original C drive.What is this? Can i delete it? i ran a virus scan with kaspersky and it...
  4. Changing Local disk C to another Hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Changing Local disk C to another Hard drive: So I accidentally selected my SSD that I wanted to have for boot purposes as the Local Disk C and want to change the Local Disk C to a HDD I also have installed. How would I achieve this? Thanks for the help in advance! submitted by /u/KingAlain_ [link] [comments]...
  5. adding another monitor

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    adding another monitor: Hello, I am trying to install my 2nd monitor to my CyberPower GMA6200WST PC, and when i plug in my second one, both screens go black and say " no signal ". I need help....
  6. Used hard disk in another laptop?

Used hard disk in another laptop?: Howdy, my brother got a pc for his birthday a few days ago to replace his laptop Since the present was from my other brother, he thought that he has a hard disk in his laptop and therefore doesn't have to buy a new one. So he just put the hard disk of his laptop into the PC....
  7. Adding another PC

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Adding another PC: Now I have 4 kids at home, one of them doesn't have powerpoint on their laptop. Can my subscription cover another laptop? Penny. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/adding-another-pc/b7c7dcca-122e-458f-ab48-17d20136bc41
  8. Hard Disk Corrupted - need to install windows in another hard disk

Hard Disk Corrupted - need to install windows in another hard disk: Dear Sir My hard disk is corrupted. How will I install windows in another hard disk? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-disk-corrupted-need-to-install-windows-in/87253f42-3d08-4508-9f58-b1e9fc928311
  9. How will adding another hard drive affect my warranty?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How will adding another hard drive affect my warranty?: (Couldn't find the right category so I posted under a random one) I have the full Dell warranty for my laptop, with pro-support and covering damages. I have been having some small problems with my laptop (some with the case, keyboard keys, and the headphone jack, and...
  10. Hard Disk Sentinel pre-licensed- another chance

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard Disk Sentinel pre-licensed- another chance: Hard Disk Sentinel Standard Edition Free Registration Key Hard Disk Sentinel Standard Edition normally charges $23 per serial key / registration code. Comss are having a giveaway of Hard Disk Sentinel Standard Edition V5.01 for PC, where everyone can download a full copy for...