Windows 10: Adding break character to ctrl+left-arrow/ctrl+right-arrow

Discus and support Adding break character to ctrl+left-arrow/ctrl+right-arrow in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm manually editing multiple filenames in Explorer on Windows 10. My filenames have sections in square brackets, and the occasional underscore, which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MaxiBunion57, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Adding break character to ctrl+left-arrow/ctrl+right-arrow

I'm manually editing multiple filenames in Explorer on Windows 10. My filenames have sections in square brackets, and the occasional underscore, which I'm removing, e.g. "This File [yes this]_v10.docx" becomes "This File v10.docx". The names are not consistent, so it's not possible to write a script to automate this task.

I use the <ctrl><right-arrow> and <ctrl><left-arrow> a lot in this task to move between words. Unfortunately, Windows Explorer does not recognise "[", "]" or "_" as distinct word-break characters. So in the example above, <ctrl><right-arrow> stops at "F", then "[", then skips the "y" and stops at "t", and then skips right to the end of the filename (in edit mode obviously). I hence land up using many more keystrokes than I feel is necessary to move individual characters left and right.

Is there some way to customise what Windows Explorer recognise as distinct word-break characters and make it stop where I want it to?

Thanks

Menahem

:)

MaxiBunion57, Sep 12, 2019
  2. jcm000 Win User

(Solved) How to Restore 'Ctrl + Left Arrow' & 'Ctrl + Right Arrow' Function?

Hi. I usually use 'Ctrl + Right Arrow' or ' Ctrl + Left Arrow' to quickly move ahead or back (word by word) in a sentence I am editing. Or, I use the combinations together with the Shift Key to quickly highlight words in a given sentence. The Ctrl + Arrow
    (and related) Ctrl + Arrow + Shift have stopped working on my system; i.e., nothing happens when I try to use the keys in combination ... but the keys function as expected individually.

So far, I've restored my Windows settings to an earlier point in time to try and fix the issue, but the problem remains across all applications.

Does anyone know of a fix to control this shortcut / hotkey issue?

jcm000, Sep 12, 2019
  3. Remap “Windows key + Ctrl + Left or Right arrow” to “Alt + Ctrl + Left or Right arrow”

How can I, using AutoHotKey, remap the following:

Windows+Ctrl+Left/Right arrow (which switches virtual desktops on windows 10)

to

Alt+Ctrl+Left/Right arrow

or to

Ctrl+Left/Right arrow

Also:

to: Ctrl + up arrow

user920161, Sep 12, 2019
  4. yogeshp1 Win User

Adding break character to ctrl+left-arrow/ctrl+right-arrow

Keyboard Issues, LEFT SHIFT + LEFT CTRL + L/R ARROW doesn't work on travelmate P645-S windows10

Recently i am facing issues with my laptop. Key combinations doesn't work especially with SHIFT.

List of combinations (Not working) :

LEFT SHIFT + LEFT CTRL + LEFT ARROW

LEFT SHIFT + LEFT CTRL + RIGHT ARROW

LEFT SHIFT + LEFT CTRL + UP ARROW

LEFT SHIFT + LEFT CTRL + DOWN ARROW

RIGHT SHIFT + RIGHT CTRL + RIGHT ARROW

List of combinations (Working) :

RIGHT SHIFT + RIGHT CTRL + RIGHT ARROW

CTRL + C, CTRL + V, CTRL + X

Other than above 'working' combinations no other combination works with CTRL and SHIFT

Please let me know why this issue is occurring!

Is this a hardware issue/ software issue?

i have updated keyboard drivers, also uninstalled and restarted laptop & let drivers install automatically.

Also i have checked if laptop's keyboard is loose or anything... everything is fine on that side.

P.S.

Recently i have upgraded my 4+4 GB RAM to 4+8 GB RAM

this RAM is DDR3 and may not be original Adding break character to ctrl+left-arrow/ctrl+right-arrow :p

yogeshp1, Sep 12, 2019
Thema:

Adding break character to ctrl+left-arrow/ctrl+right-arrow

1. Adding break character to ctrl+left-arrow/ctrl+right-arrow - Similar Threads - Adding break character

2. restore Ctrl + arrow function

in Windows 10 Gaming
    restore Ctrl + arrow function: Hello,My toddler reached up and mashed the keyboard for a few minutes before I stopped him. Now, I can no longer use the Ctrl + arrow keys to jump words left or right in any app. Ctrl + Shift + arrow keys work as expected, however. I found an old thread from 2019 that...
  3. restore Ctrl + arrow function

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    restore Ctrl + arrow function: Hello,My toddler reached up and mashed the keyboard for a few minutes before I stopped him. Now, I can no longer use the Ctrl + arrow keys to jump words left or right in any app. Ctrl + Shift + arrow keys work as expected, however. I found an old thread from 2019 that...
  4. left shift+ right arrow, and left ctrl + right arrow combination not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    left shift+ right arrow, and left ctrl + right arrow combination not working: I am using windows 11 on asus vivobook s15 s530although RIGHT ctrl/shift + left/right arrow combinations are working as expected when selecting or moving cursor word by word in word 16 or visual studio code. But LEFT CTRL/SHIFT + RIGHT ARROW combination NOT WORKING.I tried...
  5. left shift+ right arrow, and left ctrl + right arrow combination not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    left shift+ right arrow, and left ctrl + right arrow combination not working: I am using windows 11 on asus vivobook s15 s530although RIGHT ctrl/shift + left/right arrow combinations are working as expected when selecting or moving cursor word by word in word 16 or visual studio code. But LEFT CTRL/SHIFT + RIGHT ARROW combination NOT WORKING.I tried...
  6. Ctrl + Left/Right Arrow key not working properly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Ctrl + Left/Right Arrow key not working properly: Ctrl key and left and right arrow keys are not working in windows in whole sysytem, not only in ms office. In order to move from the begining of a word to to end of a word normally by pressing ctrl key first and then pressing right arrow key I have to press ctrl key 1st and...
  7. CTRL + ALT + Arrow

in Windows 10 Customization
    CTRL + ALT + Arrow: Hello Microsoft! I want to rotate the screen. When I press CTRL + ALT + arrows then nothing happens. How to fix this problem? Note: This PC is 1 year old. Windows version: 2004....
  8. Is it possible to change the Ctrl+(left or right arrow) navigation behavior?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to change the Ctrl+(left or right arrow) navigation behavior?: I mean using Ctrl + either left of right arrow to move through words. The default behavior ignores underscore (_) as a word delimiter. Is it possible to edit the registry so that it doesn't ignore underscores? submitted by /u/Yearlaren [link] [comments]...
  9. (Solved) How to Restore 'Ctrl + Left Arrow' & 'Ctrl + Right Arrow' Function?

(Solved) How to Restore 'Ctrl + Left Arrow' & 'Ctrl + Right Arrow' Function?: Hi. I usually use 'Ctrl + Right Arrow' or ' Ctrl + Left Arrow' to quickly move ahead or back (word by word) in a sentence I am editing. Or, I use the combinations together with the Shift Key to quickly highlight words in a given sentence. The Ctrl + Arrow (and related)...
  10. How to Restore 'Ctrl + Left Arrow' & 'Ctrl + Right Arrow' Function?

How to Restore 'Ctrl + Left Arrow' & 'Ctrl + Right Arrow' Function?: Hi. I usually use 'Ctrl + Right Arrow' or ' Ctrl + Left Arrow' to quickly move ahead or back (word by word) in a sentence I am editing. Or, I use the combinations together with the Shift Key to quickly highlight words in a given sentence. The Ctrl + Arrow (and related)...