Windows 10: Adding Contacts from an IMAP account to the Windows 10 People App

Discus and support Adding Contacts from an IMAP account to the Windows 10 People App in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Here in the UK many people have an email address provided by the main telco which is BT. This email address ends in @btinternet.com. It can be used via... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Bernard46, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Bernard46 Win User

Adding Contacts from an IMAP account to the Windows 10 People App

Here in the UK many people have an email address provided by the main telco which is BT. This email address ends in @btinternet.com. It can be used via POP or IMAP but increasingly people are using IMAP.

Over time these people have added the email addresses of contacts to their old system and have built up an address book. When they eventually buy a new computer which runs Windows 10 they discover the Windows Live Mail application is no longer supported but there is a new Windows Mail App and a People App for contacts. So they diligently try to setup their email and address book effectively an integral part of any email system using the new tools provided by Microsoft. Then the fun starts!

The @btinternet.com email address can be added to the Windows 10 Mail app relatively easily more so now than in the past but unfortunately when this has been done the option to tell it to sync contacts like what happens with hotmail or outlook accounts is not available for IMAP accounts.

So the user has to go to the People App and then discovers he can import contact information via a .csv file. So he goes to the BT email system via the web and exports the contact details into a .csv file. Then he opens up the People App which is integrated with the Mail App and tries to add his contacts via Settings and Add Account. This requires him to go to Advanced Setup since BT email is not one of the 'standard' options supported. He then choses Internet Email which is for POP/IMAP accounts and is presented with the window below, for which no help information is available. Most of this information is not required when adding an @btinternet.com IMAP account to the Mail App, so why is it required here? Anyway having entered all the required info the user is given an 0x80004005 error - this is one of those very helpful numeric Microsoft error messages Something went wrong that gives no clue as to what is wrong. He tries many permutations and combinations but it seems nothing will satisfy the People App and therefore it appears it is impossible to add any Contacts to it for an IMAP email account. This is a Windows 10 Pro 20H2 system. Has anyone cracked how to add Contacts to the Windows 10 People app for an IMAP account?

Adding Contacts from an IMAP account to the Windows 10 People App 523b8f20-9812-43d1-b147-317fa497406e?upload=true.jpg

:)

Bernard46, Dec 18, 2020
  2. mgrant Win User

Windows 10 Contacts with generic IMAP mailbox

I have a gmail acct and an acct on a server with dovecot on linux. I am using the Windows 10 mail (the app that comes with W10, NOT Outlook). I have added both accounts as IMAP accounts.

In Windows Mail, I have many fewer contacts than if I go to the gmail contacts web page. And for my imap mailbox, it seems like none of those contacts appear (no one who sent me mail on that server ended up in my contacts list).

I realize that IMAP is a mail protocol, but could someone please explain to me where these contacts come from and what I need to do to "import" them from old messages, especially things I replied to?

IMAP is a mail user agent access protocol. As far as I'm aware, contacts are not part of this protocol. So then what is the correct way to have a contact list on a server when your mail is stored in an IMAP mailbox?

mgrant, Dec 18, 2020
  3. bestellen Win User
    Deleting contacts from Windows 10

When you say Windows Mail Live are you referring to Mail app or Windows Live Mail?

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Open Windows Live Mail.
    • Press Ctrl + 3 using your keyboard. Right-click on the contact to delete it if it is a single contact.
    • Highlight all contacts by pressing Ctrl + A.
    • Click Delete located on the Ribbon bar.
    • Click OK when you see the message These contacts will also be deleted from Hotmail, Messenger, and other Windows Live services.

After following the steps above, all your contacts that you have manually added to your account will be deleted however, contacts coming from third-party sites such as Facebook will not be deleted unless you remove Facebook from your account.

For Mail app:

Open People app then delete the contact.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

bestellen, Dec 18, 2020
  4. Adding Contacts from an IMAP account to the Windows 10 People App

People app not syncing google contacts

I have the release Windows 10. I have successfully linked my google account, and mail and calendar seem to work fine. But not the people (contacts) app. The account is listed in People, I can tell it to sync, get no error message, but no contacts arrive. Am I missing something?

JoeInMexico, Dec 18, 2020
Thema:

Adding Contacts from an IMAP account to the Windows 10 People App

1. Adding Contacts from an IMAP account to the Windows 10 People App - Similar Threads - Adding Contacts IMAP

2. Adding a gmail contact in the Windows App People doesn't transfer to Google Contacts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adding a gmail contact in the Windows App People doesn't transfer to Google Contacts: My Windows People App is connected to two accounts - one Hotmail, one Gmail.I added a contact through it to the Gmail account and synchronized. However, when I connect to my Google account, the new contact doesn't show up there and so I can't use it on my Android phone.This...
  3. Copy all contacts from People app in window 10

Copy all contacts from People app in window 10: My Gmail account faulted somehow and many of my contacts have been deleted. But coincidently there was a backup on my other laptop where all the contacts are available in the people app. Now i have disconnected the internet on that laptop fearing syncing might delete from...
  4. Windows Mail - Adding an imap account

Windows Mail - Adding an imap account: Hello, So, I want to link my work mail account to the desktop app and no matter what I always end up having a "Can't get mail" message below my account. Step by step, here's what I'm doing : Under Account, select Add Account In the popup, choose Advanced setup and then...
  5. Adding the ability to call contacts from "People" app

Adding the ability to call contacts from "People" app: Hello There is a new Windows feature that let's you to call via "Your Phone" app. It is cool. But there's something missing. In "People" app which contacts are, there is an option to call them via Skype but there is no option to call via Phone. Please add a feature to call...
  6. contacts into the people app

contacts into the people app: I am setting up Windows 10 for a friend who uses an email provider where the contacts list does not appear to be compatible with the People App. I have saved the contacts list that was in windows live mail, stored on the windows 7 machine, as a csv file and vcf files. I...
  7. Adding a contact to the people app from Windows 10 Mail

Adding a contact to the people app from Windows 10 Mail: I am using Windows 10 Mail. I want to add a contact to the people app from an email. At this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14103/windows-people-app-help, I found the following information: If you're using the Mail app, you can save a contact from an email...
  8. Delete contacts from People App

Delete contacts from People App: I can't delete old contacts from People App. When I right click on the contact the Delete is grayed out. Anyone out there that knows how to fix this, please help me out. Thanks...
  9. Delete contacts from people app

in Windows 10 Customization
    Delete contacts from people app: When I try to delete contacts from people app the delete option is grayed out. How can I delete these old contacts? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-contacts-from-people-app/01c45ead-10d5-4de6-a386-409b408b8720
  10. WINDOWS 10 EMAIL - CONTACTS NOCONNECTED TO PEOPLE WHEN USING AN IMAP ACCOUNT..

WINDOWS 10 EMAIL - CONTACTS NOCONNECTED TO PEOPLE WHEN USING AN IMAP ACCOUNT..: how do I get my csv file/or contacts file imported into MS Mail. my email is presently set up with an imap account with my internet provider- that gives me no access to my contacts via people. If I use outlook my contacts connect via people but I have no email connection with...