Windows 10: Adding data to fields that do not normally display for that file type

Discus and support Adding data to fields that do not normally display for that file type in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I need a way to display data in the comments field of a folder. It appears that this can be done in some manner with all Windows files and folders but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by questorfla, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Adding data to fields that do not normally display for that file type

I need a way to display data in the comments field of a folder. It appears that this can be done in some manner with all Windows files and folders but I have still not been able to find a program that would facilitate this. I might be looking too hard as it could be a builtin Windows ability.
    the Exif data will almost always show up on a file or folder of that folder i set for photos for example

I need to be able to add comments to a file so that User sees the folder name as well as the comments about it
    So if i have a folder with a cryptic name, the comments display would be more "to the point"

here is an exam,ple
    oe program we use creates encrypted folder names for use by certain people. But out employees have to load the data into them
    i would like to be able to enable to comments column on their systems and then put enough info under comments so they would know which folder was what instead of seeing a bunch a 8 character encrypted names and have to look them up in a book to figure out which folder goes to what project.

the program dies this because these folders are accessed by the users over the web and they dont want their names displayed in plain-text a directory listing. The Comments field was just one of many and I would probably use something less obvious
    but either way, unless someone knew to check thee fields by default they are not displayed for normal text folders

if someone knows a better way to do this please let me know but these hidden fields look like a perfect solution.\\

:)

questorfla, Jan 16, 2020

2. USB doesn't display MP4 file!

I have a 300kb mix of .png, .jpg, .pdf files on a 4Gb USB drive. I added a 2Gb MP4 movie but it doesn't display in the drive files. I used CCleaner to check the drive F files .. it only shows up as 2Gb of OTHER FILES, but not in the listed files.

Any (constructive) suggestions welcome. I can't remove it as it doesn't show in the file list.

GregNeedsHelp, Jan 16, 2020
  3. I have added the file count column to my folder in File Explorer. However, the actual file count is not displaying.

Hi Loren,

I appreciate if you could answer a
    few questions to narrow down the issue and to provide you better assistance.

• How did you added file count column for folders in File Explorer? What are the steps did you followed?
    • When you say, "actual file count is not displaying" is this issue specific to any folder or happening with all folders?
    • Have you installed any third party anti-virus on your system?
    Meanwhile, I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if this helps.

• Open File Explorer.
    • Click on View from navigation pane and choose Detail pane.
    Write to us with the above information and status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Jan 16, 2020
  4. Adding data to fields that do not normally display for that file type

Unable to type in search box or edge URL entry field

Hi,

Are you unable to just type in this fields or are these fields greyed out?

I would suggest you to first check if install all the latest updates available through Windows updates to make sure that you have all the patches. If you have already done this, then I would suggest try these steps and check if it

helps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/view-delete-browsing-history-microsoft-edge

Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Jan 16, 2020
Thema:

Adding data to fields that do not normally display for that file type

1. Adding data to fields that do not normally display for that file type - Similar Threads - Adding data fields

2. Adding a file type for file association with IDLE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adding a file type for file association with IDLE: How can I add a file type to associate a file type with IDLE from *** Email address is removed for privacy *** on Windows 11.I wish to associate .py with idle. I cannot find either the program or the file type in the settings panels.Dave...
  3. Adding a file type for file association with IDLE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adding a file type for file association with IDLE: How can I add a file type to associate a file type with IDLE from *** Email address is removed for privacy *** on Windows 11.I wish to associate .py with idle. I cannot find either the program or the file type in the settings panels.Dave...
  4. Unable to type in windows system fields

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to type in windows system fields: I have a Lenovo X1 Carbon 1st gen running Windows 10. Some time ago I became unable to type into system fields search, network passwords etc. I have tried all the various solutions but nothing seems to help. I can access windows+R, windows+x etc. but it is really frustrating....
  5. Unable to type in windows system fields

Unable to type in windows system fields: I have a Lenovo X1 Carbon 1st gen running Windows 10. Some time ago I became unable to type into system fields search, network passwords etc. I have tried all the various solutions but nothing seems to help. I can access windows+R, windows+x etc. but it is really frustrating....
  6. The .xlsx file type is missing from the file types list and cannot be added

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The .xlsx file type is missing from the file types list and cannot be added: Due to the subject the xlsx files are saved and treated as Internet Explorer files !! and the ways to open them in Excel is either by choosing 'Open With' and select Excel or open Excel first and then open the file through 'File Open'. If I click on the file it tries to open...
  7. The .xlsx file type is missing from the file types list and cannot be added

The .xlsx file type is missing from the file types list and cannot be added: Due to the subject the xlsx files are saved and treated as Internet Explorer files !! and the ways to open them in Excel is either by choosing 'Open With' and select Excel or open Excel first and then open the file through 'File Open'. If I click on the file it tries to open...
  8. Cannot type in search fields, run field, or Mail

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot type in search fields, run field, or Mail: After recovering from an exception error caused by CorsairVBusDriver.sys by first restoring windows, then renaming all occurrences of the file to include .bak at the end, I uninstalled Corsair Utility Engine, dated 2016, and installed the newest iCUE dated 2020. I am unable...
  9. Entering data into fields

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Entering data into fields: When I am correcting some data entered, every once in a while the letter I enter appears on the screen BUT THE next character is deleted. How can I stop this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/entering-data-into-fields/afafb19d-ba92-40d8-bc5c-b068f07fb301
  10. How To Enable Typing Into Search Field (Cortana field?)

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Enable Typing Into Search Field (Cortana field?): I now find, to my great surprise, that I can't type in the Search field at bottom left. The cursor will go there but nothing will happen to it when I start typing. This is amazing. This computer. Endless problems. I have two computer each with win10 and each installed at...