Windows 10: Adding Drives After Creating a Spanned Volume?

Discus and support Adding Drives After Creating a Spanned Volume? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I want to add 5 750gb hard drives to a spanned volume. The only issue is: 3 of the hard drives are full of data that I need to keep. So what I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BrandonAxtmann, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Adding Drives After Creating a Spanned Volume?

Hi, I want to add 5 750gb hard drives to a spanned volume.

The only issue is:

3 of the hard drives are full of data that I need to keep.

So what I am wondering is: Can I make a spanned volume with the two empty hard drives, and then copy the data of 2 of the hard drives over, then add those hard drives to the spanned volume and then copy the last of the data over?

so the question I have

Can I add hard drives to spanned volume after I copy data to the volume (while keeping said data)

If you need me to explain more, just let me know.

Cheers,

Brandon

:)

BrandonAxtmann, Jun 4, 2019

2. Unable to create simple volume on new 1TB hard drive

Just got a brand new HP computer with windows 10 Pro (64bit) preinstalled on an SSD. I am now adding a 1TB sata hard drive for storing data files. New HDD is installed as Disk 1 and is seen by Windows 10. I initialized it as an MBR basic disc. When I try to go to the next step of creating a volume, I right click on disk 1 and there is no option available to create a new simple volume. There are other volume options (mirror, raid, etc) but they are all greyed out. Simple is not even listed as an option. I went to DISKPART and using clean command, took it back to the start, then initialized it as a GBT. That didn't make a difference. Now I'm back to MBR again. I also did a List Volume command under DISKPART and confirmed there is no volume on this drive. I'm stuck. How can I get this drive to the point where I can format it and use it?
    Thanks!

Witch Hazel, Jun 4, 2019
  3. Yossu Win User
    Create new spanned volume - Operation not supported by object

Hello,

I just bought myself an HDD docking station, and following instructions on lifehacker, tried to create a spanned volume, so that I can use two spare Western Digital 500Gb HDDs as a single 1Tb HDD.

All seemed to go OK until the last point, when I got an error "The operation is not supported by the object"

The two drives are fine, and the dock seems to work fine. I can format the two drives individually, and they show up in File Explorer correctly, but I can't crate a spanned volume.

Anyone any ideas? Thanks

Yossu, Jun 4, 2019
  4. Kursah Win User

Adding Drives After Creating a Spanned Volume?

Combine HDD into one? {alternative to spanned volume}

I believe both drives need to be setup as dynamic to allow for a spanned volume to be configured across both of them. Here's some links on some info for spanned volumes and the other types that Disk Management in Windows can do for you.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772180(v=ws.11).aspx

http://www.techotopia.com/index.php...le_and_Spanned_Volumes_on_Windows_Server_2008

https://www.howtogeek.com/school/using-windows-admin-tools-like-a-pro/lesson4/

Kursah, Jun 4, 2019
Thema:

Adding Drives After Creating a Spanned Volume?

1. Adding Drives After Creating a Spanned Volume? - Similar Threads - Adding Drives Creating

2. unable to created spanned volume

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unable to created spanned volume: using windows 10 pro 64 bitI have a 500 gb SSD that is also my boot drive. I installed a 2 TB ssd I want to span into it to create a single volume to make managing programs/documents simple.I can't change the original 500 GB HD into dynamic mode even though I can shrink it in...
  3. unable to created spanned volume

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to created spanned volume: using windows 10 pro 64 bitI have a 500 gb SSD that is also my boot drive. I installed a 2 TB ssd I want to span into it to create a single volume to make managing programs/documents simple.I can't change the original 500 GB HD into dynamic mode even though I can shrink it in...
  4. unable to created spanned volume

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Adding drives to existing spanned volume

Adding drives to existing spanned volume: I have 2 14tb drives spanned. I did have 4 additional 1tb drives but had one of them going bad. I removed all 4 of those and installed 2 5tb drive. I go to extend onto them and I get maximum cluster size exceeded error. Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit. What am I doing wrong?...
  6. Spanned Volumes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Spanned Volumes: Hello guys. I wanted to ask you about spanned volumes. Is it safe to use? Or i'll lose my files somehow? I have 2 SSD's as a Span Volume on my system. Should I keep it, or should I separate them? Thanks in advance, Michail. submitted by /u/mSqueez [link] [comments]...
  7. Utility to Help Fix spanned Volume

Utility to Help Fix spanned Volume: I recently had a power supply go out on a nas server and needed to move 8 disk to another computer server 2012 to win 10 the disk where set up as one big spanned volume. After hooking it all up I went into disk manager and they showed as foreign went to import and the...
  8. Use spanned volumes for boot volume - extend C: onto 2nd hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Use spanned volumes for boot volume - extend C: onto 2nd hard drive: I recently purchased an HP all in one computer, which was advertised as a 1 TB hard drive, but in reality has a 128GB SSD C:\ drive and a 960 GB D:\ hard drive. I would like to be able to reconfigure the system so that the 128 GB and 960 GB drives are spanned, and have the...
  9. Simple/spanned volume

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Simple/spanned volume: Hi, I have two physical drives in my PC -SSD (using it as bootable drive and old HDD (for storing files). On the second drive which is the HDD there were 3 partitions - system reserved, C drive and D (use it for files). Since the operating system is starting from the SSD i...
  10. Create new spanned volume - Operation not supported by object

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Create new spanned volume - Operation not supported by object: Hello, I just bought myself an HDD docking station, and following instructions on lifehacker, tried to create a spanned volume, so that I can use two spare Western Digital 500Gb HDDs as a single 1Tb HDD. All seemed to go OK until the last point, when I got an error "The...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. add a disk into a spanned volume

2. windows address spanned drives seperately

3. add raw volume to a spanned volume

4. adding harddrives to spanned folder