Windows 10: Adding External switch using laptop's wifi-card (AC-8260) errors out.

Discus and support Adding External switch using laptop's wifi-card (AC-8260) errors out. in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi. New member and new to Hyper-V here. After seeing WSL-2 availability in Windows 10 2004 release, I decided I will also give hyper-V a try. (I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Dutch88, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Dutch88 Win User

Adding External switch using laptop's wifi-card (AC-8260) errors out.

Hi. New member and new to Hyper-V here.
    After seeing WSL-2 availability in Windows 10 2004 release, I decided I will also give hyper-V a try. (I have been using VirtualBox but VirtualBox does not play well with WSL-2)
    Turning on Hyper-V and adding Linux Mint was straight forward. I followed the instruction and the VM seem to work fine.

I added external switch to wired Ethernet adapter. As long as Internet connection is through the wired connection, I can see my Mint VM as 192.168.1.21. (Host machine's IP is 192.168.1.20)

My Wifi uses 'Default Switch' It uses NAT so I cant get a unique local IP assigned, like I do when I use wired bridge.

So I thought it would be just a matter of adding External Switch assigned to the wifi and use it in place of 'Default Switch', but when I try to create one, it goes to process the request for about a minute and then display error dialog which shows 'object not found' error.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to unbind Default switch from Wifi card first? if so, how do I do this. From other thread, I understand 'Default Switch' can not be deleted.

:)

Dutch88, Jun 6, 2020
  2. Dutch88 Win User

Hi. New member and new to Hyper-V here.
    After seeing WSL-2 availability in Windows 10 2004 release, I decided I will also give hyper-V a try. (I have been using VirtualBox but VirtualBox does not play well with WSL-2)
    Turning on Hyper-V and adding Linux Mint was straight forward. I followed the instruction and the VM seem to work fine.

I added external switch to wired Ethernet adapter. As long as Internet connection is through the wired connection, I can see my Mint VM as 192.168.1.21. (Host machine's IP is 192.168.1.20)

My Wifi uses 'Default Switch' It uses NAT so I cant get a unique local IP assigned, like I do when I use wired bridge.

So I thought it would be just a matter of adding External Switch assigned to the wifi and use it in place of 'Default Switch', but when I try to create one, it goes to process the request for about a minute and then display error dialog which shows 'object not found' error.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to unbind Default switch from Wifi card first? if so, how do I do this. From other thread, I understand 'Default Switch' can not be deleted.

Dutch88, Jun 6, 2020
  3. NavyLCDR Win User
    Laptop WiFi card replacement

I wouldn't worry about it. I don't really see what the CPU has to do with the WiFi card. I'm running an Intel 8260 in my laptop with a i7-8550U processor and running the 9260 in an AMD Ryzen 7 computer.

NavyLCDR, Jun 6, 2020
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

Laptop WiFi card replacement

Why not take this opportunity to upgrade to a dual band AC WiFi card?

Intel Wireless-AC 9260.NGWG.NV 1.73Gbps Wifi + Bluetooth-5 NGFF M.2 2230 No vPro

Adding External switch using laptop's wifi-card (AC-8260) errors out. [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Jun 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Adding External switch using laptop's wifi-card (AC-8260) errors out. - Similar Threads - Adding External switch

2. Windows 10 H0H2, Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 unknowingly switches from 5GHz to 2.4GHz.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 H0H2, Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 unknowingly switches from 5GHz to 2.4GHz.: HP 840 G3 laptop with latest drivers from IntelPort replicator with dual monitorInternal Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260Windows 10 Pro H0H2 although not 21H1Netgear R7800 V1.0.2.82, latest to date update 2-3 weeks agoSingle SSID for 2.4GHz Channel 8 and 5GHz Channel 153 ←...
  3. AC Wifi and N Wifi

AC Wifi and N Wifi: Hello! I'm having a problem with my new laptop. Basically, my laptop connects most of the time with the protocol 802.11n 2.4Ghz which is too slow for me 5mb/s. Sometimes it connects to the AC protocol and my internet is very fast! So why it does not stick in the AC? Thank...
  4. Laptop Battery, Does It Hurt the Battery to Use External AC Power?

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop Battery, Does It Hurt the Battery to Use External AC Power?: I haven't used my laptop much yet, only a little bit to set up some bookmarks, wallpaper, etc. Every time I use it, I plug it into the wall. I'm at home so it's not inconvenient, and I figured it would save on the battery life. Is it harmful to the battery to keep plugging...
  5. Anybody used Broadcom BCM94352HMB Dual Band AC Wireless WiFi BT Card?

Anybody used Broadcom BCM94352HMB Dual Band AC Wireless WiFi BT Card?: As per the thread - anybody? Broadcom BCM94352HMB Dual Band AC Wireless WiFi BT Card AzureWave DW 1550 -W32 | eBay I'm interested in this chappy as I might have to consider replacing otherwise perfect Intel's AC-7260HMB that I installed nearly 4 years ago in my trusty SONY...
  6. Anybody used Broadcom BCM94352HMB Dual Band AC Wireless WiFi BT Card?

in Windows 10 News
    Anybody used Broadcom BCM94352HMB Dual Band AC Wireless WiFi BT Card?: As per the thread - anybody? Broadcom BCM94352HMB Dual Band AC Wireless WiFi BT Card AzureWave DW 1550 -W32 | eBay I'm interested in this chappy as I might have to consider replacing otherwise perfect Intel's AC-7260HMB that I installed nearly 4 years ago in my trusty SONY...
  7. Mobile Hotspot no longer working (intel AC 8260)

Mobile Hotspot no longer working (intel AC 8260): Hey folks, I've been using the Mobile Hotspot feature for the past year to connect my WiFi printer to my network through my laptop, which itself is connected through a LAN/ethernet cable. For some reason a while back this feature stopped working, and now whenever I try to...
  8. Wireless AC 8260 Windows 10 V1803

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wireless AC 8260 Windows 10 V1803: Hello. I have an Asus Zenbook Flip (UX360UAK), with Windows 10 installed. After updating to version 1803, the wireless network became very bad and instable. I see only part of the networks available, and hardly can connect to them. Nevertheless, the drivers of the device...
  9. Can switching networks damage/wear out my wifi card?

Can switching networks damage/wear out my wifi card?: I have this stupid wifi that likes to randomly disconnect and do random things. There are 2 networks, one is 2.4ghz and the other is 5ghz. I switch between the 2 because sometimes one doesnt have internet access randomly, but the other one does. I do this multiple times a...
  10. Can switching networks damage/wear out my wifi card?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can switching networks damage/wear out my wifi card?: I have this stupid wifi that likes to randomly disconnect and do random things. There are 2 networks, one is 2.4ghz and the other is 5ghz. I switch between the 2 because sometimes one doesnt have internet access randomly, but the other one does. I do this multiple times a...