Windows 10: Adding file associations using registry entries?

Discus and support Adding file associations using registry entries? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've recently upgraded from Windows XP to 10 (64-bit), and the .reg files I've crafted for adding custom file associations don't work anymore. What's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kaka55tyanh, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Adding file associations using registry entries?

I've recently upgraded from Windows XP to 10 (64-bit), and the .reg files I've crafted for adding custom file associations don't work anymore. What's changed? How do I make them work again? Sample:

Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.pdf] @="user.sumatra.pdf" [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\user.sumatra.pdf] @="PDF Document" [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\user.sumatra.pdf\\DefaultIcon] @="F:\\BIN\\SumatraPDF\\SumatraPDF.exe,1" [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\user.sumatra.pdf\shell] [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\user.sumatra.pdf\shell\open] [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\user.sumatra.pdf\shell\open\command] @="\"F:\\BIN\\SumatraPDF\\SumatraPDF.exe\" \"%1\""[/quote]

:)

kaka55tyanh, Nov 7, 2015

2. How to remove a default file association app from a file type in Windows 10

Ok. I thought you were looking to remove the association, not just change it to a different program. FYI, this article has more info on how to delete an association in the registry... How
    to Remove a File Association Using the Registry Editor?

Ramesh Srinivasan, Nov 7, 2015
  3. Ramesh Srinivasan, Nov 7, 2015
  4. XP1
    XP1 Win User

Adding file associations using registry entries?

Add this at the top:
    Code: [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf][/quote] Like:
    Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf] [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.pdf] @="user.sumatra.pdf" [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\user.sumatra.pdf] @="PDF Document" [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\user.sumatra.pdf\\DefaultIcon] @="F:\\BIN\\SumatraPDF\\SumatraPDF.exe,1" [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\user.sumatra.pdf\shell] [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\user.sumatra.pdf\shell\open] [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\user.sumatra.pdf\shell\open\command] @="\"F:\\BIN\\SumatraPDF\\SumatraPDF.exe\" \"%1\""[/quote] Source:
    The AppSense Bigot: Deploying per-user file type associations (FTAs) on XenApp 7.6 Server 2012 R2 (slightly reloaded)

Thema:

Adding file associations using registry entries?

1. Adding file associations using registry entries? - Similar Threads - Adding file associations

2. Adding a file type for file association with IDLE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adding a file type for file association with IDLE: How can I add a file type to associate a file type with IDLE from *** Email address is removed for privacy *** on Windows 11.I wish to associate .py with idle. I cannot find either the program or the file type in the settings panels.Dave...
  3. Adding a file type for file association with IDLE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adding a file type for file association with IDLE: How can I add a file type to associate a file type with IDLE from *** Email address is removed for privacy *** on Windows 11.I wish to associate .py with idle. I cannot find either the program or the file type in the settings panels.Dave...
  4. Registry entry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Registry entry: Desktop PC with Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 OS Build 22621.1194.The registry has two entries for the Downloads folder as below for the same User -HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}...
  5. Registry entry

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Registry entry: Desktop PC with Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 OS Build 22621.1194.The registry has two entries for the Downloads folder as below for the same User -HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}...
  6. Registry Entry

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Registry Entry: Does anyone know what this registry entry is? When I run McAfee Quick Clean this registry entry can never be removed, is there a reason? HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{265b1075-d22b-41eb-bc97-87568f3e6dab}...
  7. registry entries

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    registry entries: ActiveX/COM Issue LocalServer32\C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Speech_OneCore\Common\SpeechRuntime.exe -ToastNotifier HKCR\CLSID\{265b1075-d22b-41eb-bc97-87568f3e6dab} https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/registry-entries/739b6f1f-5482-41d7-98cc-c9cfc7df078c
  8. Entries in Registry

in Windows 10 Support
    Entries in Registry: Hello, While making some registry editing, found 17 entries named "Sign.Media". Don't know what it is, have not any program this name. Can I remove them from the registry ? Answers will be appreciated Thanks 140198
  9. File association registry folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    File association registry folder: I know that I already made a post related to this one, but after I marked a reply as an answer, no one was replying to it, so here's another post Basically, I have a laptop with Windows 10 home 64-bit on it, and I have reset it multiple times due to different problems that...
  10. Garbled Registry Entries

in Windows 10 Support
    Garbled Registry Entries: Hello, Was looking at registry to make a backup of some entries and saw the following garbled entries. Was wondering what this was all about. Recently, my machine, after latest windows updates, has been having issues waking up after Hibernate. This issue seemed to be...