Windows 10: Adding MBR to existing windows installation former dual boot.

Discus and support Adding MBR to existing windows installation former dual boot. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had a dual boot set up with Windows 7 on one SSD and Windows 10 on another seperate SSD. Unfortunately the Windows 7 SSD has died taking with it the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JJJon4, Sep 14, 2020.

1. JJJon4 Win User

Adding MBR to existing windows installation former dual boot.

I had a dual boot set up with Windows 7 on one SSD and Windows 10 on another seperate SSD. Unfortunately the Windows 7 SSD has died taking with it the MBR so I now get a 'An operation system wasn't found' message when booting up the computer. Is there an easy way to add a MBR to the windows 10 SSD so I can get my computer working again without doing a fresh install.

:)

JJJon4, Sep 14, 2020

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Sep 14, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Dual Booting 2 x Windows 10 OS Drives (Existing Installs)

It is uneccessary to do all of the above.
    1. Boot up Windows 10
    2. Open Disk Management and take a note of the drive letter of the other Windows 10
    3. Open Admin Command Prompt and type: bcdboot X:\Windows where X is the drive letter noted in step 2
    4. Reboot, you should have a dual boot menu.

topgundcp, Sep 14, 2020
  4. topgundcp Win User

Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    1. Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    2. Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    3. After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    4. Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    6. Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, Sep 14, 2020
Thema:

1. Adding MBR to existing windows installation former dual boot. - Similar Threads - Adding MBR existing

2. Adding windows 11 to dual boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adding windows 11 to dual boot: I have a computer setup with windows 8.1 and windows 10 dual boot and i am wondering if i will be able to add windows 11 to it aswell or dose the new security features prevent me from doing that...
  3. dual boot /mbr to gpt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dual boot /mbr to gpt: I would like to enable dual boot Windows 10 and Linux Mint. Currently Windows 10 only; please guide me step by step how to convert this disk and install Mint along Windows. i.e. Legacy to UEFI, MBR to UEFI etc., unfortunatelly I am not a 20 years old IT genius.... So far my...
  4. dual boot /mbr to gpt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    dual boot /mbr to gpt: I would like to enable dual boot Windows 10 and Linux Mint. Currently Windows 10 only; please guide me step by step how to convert this disk and install Mint along Windows. i.e. Legacy to UEFI, MBR to UEFI etc., unfortunatelly I am not a 20 years old IT genius.... So far my...
  5. Windows MBR boot record is missing [Dual Boot]

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows MBR boot record is missing [Dual Boot]: I have dual boot with Manjaro, and my Manjaro partition can't find the boot record for Windows. That is because the /boot/EFI/Microsoft does not exist. However, my BIOS does find both installations Windows and Manjaro and succeeds in booting into them. My disk partitionsHow...
  6. Dual booting windows with existing installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual booting windows with existing installation: Hi all, For various (annoying) reasons, I would like to dual boot two windows installations on my laptop. Currently, Windows 10 Enterprise is installed. Would it be possible to create a new partition from which I could boot a new installation of windows 10 for education? I...
  7. Dual Boot: Recover Windows 10 boot process. MBR?

Dual Boot: Recover Windows 10 boot process. MBR?: Hi I'm trying a dual boot between Windows 10 2004 and ArcaOS 5.0.5. ArcaOS has a boot manager tool called Air-Boot open source that works fine, and it can boot Windows 10, since I already tested. My issue is that ArcaOS does something to the Windows 10 partition, that does...
  8. Dual boot XP on an existing Windows 10 installation.

Dual boot XP on an existing Windows 10 installation.: I have a Toshiba Satellite S875-S7136 laptop. I already have Win10 x64 installed on the disk's primary main partition and the remaining half of the disk is unallocated space. In the BIOS, I set the bios to look for the DVD drive before loading the hard disk. I first tried...
  9. Create dual boot Win10 with existing WinXP installation

Create dual boot Win10 with existing WinXP installation: Hi, I have seen posts that are partially related to my question, but do not answer all of my questions. Here the situation: GOAL: Create a dualboot system with a clean WIndows 10 installation on SSD while keeping my regular Windows XP for as long as I need it....
  10. Dual Boot with GPT and MBR Drives?

Dual Boot with GPT and MBR Drives?: Can I have both a GPT and MBR formatted drives on a dual boot system? I would like to retain my Win 7 installation as is with MBR formatted hard drive, and after the Win 8.1 to Win 10 upgrade, do a clean Win 10 install with GPT (UEFI) format. 8859