Windows 10: Adding more "Ram" ?

Discus and support Adding more "Ram" ? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I noticed that my laptop could handle a little more "Ram" so i ran the Crucial info tool and the screenshot shows what options i have . I have an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by fredc, Sep 15, 2015.

1. fredc Win User

Adding more "Ram" ?

I noticed that my laptop could handle a little more "Ram" so i ran the Crucial info tool and the screenshot shows what options i have .

I have an Asus U56e laptop which i believe came with 6 gigs of Ram , would going this route improve speed even by a small amount ?

Thank you

:)

fredc, Sep 15, 2015
  2. musum Win User

" SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

SO HERE'S THE LINK TO THAT PIC

http://i26.tinypic.com/2ihbdco.jpg

CAN U PLZ CHECK IT ACTUALLY I HAVE USED THE NOKIA SOFTWARE UPDATER B4 ... BUT I DONT KNW WHY I M GETTING THIS ERROR NOW

musum, Sep 15, 2015
  3. musum Win User
    " SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

i have installed windows xp sp2

previously i was using windows media center i thought i might b facing this probs due to that but then i changed it to windows xp ! n moreover i have also shown to nokia service center executives but they were not having the latest updates available ......
    my pc suite is showing that new update version of firmware is available but i cudnt download it Adding more "Ram" ? :(

oh gawd wat to do ? Adding more "Ram" ? :(

i tried in another pc then again i got an error u need to have minimum 256 ram Adding more "Ram" ? :(

please cant it b rectified ? there must b any solution to this probs please help me guyz

god bless all of u thanx Adding more "Ram" ? :)

musum, Sep 15, 2015
  4. pparks1 Win User

Adding more "Ram" ?

If you are asking about upgrading from 6 to 8gb of RAM, I would say you won't notice this.

pparks1, Sep 15, 2015
  5. fredc Win User
    I don't even know how much i can add and am unsure if the U56e can take more than that or not , all i see is " two slots , two banks of one " whatever that means.

If anyone knows about this please don't hesitate , i appreciate all opinions.

fredc, Sep 15, 2015
  6. CountMike New Member
    According to that page, there are only two RAM slots available, one has one stick of 4GB and other one 2GB. To get eight you would need to replace that 2GB stick with one of 4GB. of same speed and settings. I don't think you would notice any performance improvement unless you are running out of memory often.

CountMike, Sep 15, 2015
  7. fredc Win User
    Thank you , i have just heard so many times over the years that adding "Ram" is the easiest and most surefire way to improve performance , i guess not .

fredc, Sep 15, 2015
  8. CountMike New Member

Adding more "Ram" ?

It is a big jump going from 2 to 4, a bit less for 4 to 6 and 6 to 8 or more only if you have real need for.

CountMike, Sep 15, 2015
  9. WOZ
    Woz Win User
    "...i have just heard so many times over the years that adding "Ram" is the easiest and most surefire way to improve performance..."
    That was true back in the days when 1GB or 2GB was standard issue. Unless you're using some very RAM-intensive programs, 6GB will work well.

Today, the quickest way to improve the performance of a laptop is to upgrade to a SSD if the device currently has a spinning disk HDD. Sometimes it is quick and easy upgrade, other times it can be a nightmare. I've experienced both.

10. fredc Win User
    Actually i have had a SSD for quite some time but it was one of the slower ones but still an improvement over the older HDD , recently replaced the slower SSD with supposedly the fastest on the market now .

The thing that i can't figure out is i don't see any improvement at all between the slowest SSD's and the fastest . I thought maybe the "Ram" i have is holding it back.

fredc, Sep 15, 2015
  11. CountMike New Member
    It's still a laptop, you can't expect same performance as a seemingly same desktop. Most of the stuff is optimized for lower power usage.

CountMike, Sep 15, 2015
  12. pparks1 Win User
    Any SSD makes a big improvement, but megabytes per second is what is touted, but in day to day use of the OS really makes no difference. Its the ultra low random access time which makes the difference and that doesn't change between the drives. I would have told you that you would see absolutely no difference.

RAM used to make a difference when boxes were starved for RAM. Like when you went from 256MB of RAM to 1GB of RAM. But going from 6GB to 8GB isn't the same thing. Also, faster RAM is not going to make the difference.

What CPU do you have?

pparks1, Sep 15, 2015
  13. WhyMe Win User

Adding more "Ram" ?

@fredc

I don't really think there is much you can do with that device, on a hardware level, to make a noticeable difference in real-world use. Yes, an additional 2GB ram will speed things up. Would it be noticeable to you? Maybe ever-so-slightly, but probably not. I definitely don't think it would worth buying new ram. If you wanted to do this, I would suggest buying a used and compatible 4GB module on ebay for just a few bucks and then sell your old 2GB. Other than that, I would suggest staying put and saving for a newer device with modern hardware.

One other suggestion. And it's free. You may possibly get a noticeable improvement in speed by wiping your partitions and doing a totally fresh Win10 install (assuming you have an upgrade install at the moment). It would get rid of all the old leftovers and 'cruft' that has built up over the years, stuff that clogs up the software and ultimately slows performance.

WhyMe, Sep 15, 2015
  14. fredc Win User
    If random low access speed is no different from drive to drive on an SSD why not always buy the cheapest ones. Why pay any attention to performance differences between SSD's is my question since your never going to notice it.

fredc, Sep 15, 2015
  15. CountMike New Member
    Exactly, I opted for double the capacity on a bit slower SSD over a faster, smaller one for same price. Don't see any speed difference in normal use despite benchmarks. Actually, there's more difference with IO system on the MB than between SSD's performance.

CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Adding more "Ram" ?

1. Adding more "Ram" ? - Similar Threads - Adding more Ram

2. Adding more "RAM" through an USB drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Adding more "RAM" through an USB drive.: Hello, Basically, as you can see form the title, I am looking to add more "RAM" using an USB drive. I saw many tutorials that it is possible through ReadyBoost but my problem is that I have a SSD. Is there still any other ways to add? I currently only have like 4 and it...
  3. More RAM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    More RAM: Is there an way to get more RAM? or optimize it for Gaming? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/more-ram/6563cc3a-a01c-462b-8e34-ae450b6503c6
  4. adding ram

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    adding ram: I'm not very computer literate and I'm wondering about RAM. How can I find out how much RAM I can possibly add to my laptop. It's about three years old. It's an AMD A9-9410 Radeon R5 with 6gigs of RAM already installed. It's Windows10 64bit. Thanks for the help....
  5. Looking to adding more RAM but cannot find compatible module

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Looking to adding more RAM but cannot find compatible module: I intend to install a Crucial MX500 CT1000MX500SSD1 1 TB SSD but do not know which RAM 8GB is compatible for this laptop. Laptop model; HP Laptop 15-da0xxx 4BA37EA#ABU CPU Intel Pentium Silver N5000 CPU @ 1.10GHz Motherboard Model 84AA (U3E1) I have tried asking Crucial and...
  6. Windows Deactivated after adding more RAM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Deactivated after adding more RAM: A few days ago I added two more ram sticks to my PC and didn't remove or tamper with the ones already in it. My PC was prebuilt and came with Windows 10 Home already activated so I don't have an email with the product key to reactivate it. I also tried the trouble shooter but...
  7. RAM use more and more

RAM use more and more: Ram is consuming more and more altough i have 8 gb of ram. Even there is no program running or any high usage program is not running then also RAM stay above 6.8 or 7.1out of 7.9. Please help me in fixing this issue....
  8. Adding more RAM to my Windows 10 laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Adding more RAM to my Windows 10 laptop: Hello My current Windows 10 laptop has 4gb DDR4 2400MHZ installed. Im planning to add another 8gb DDR4 stick so that I'll have a total of 12gb RAM. my question is can i mix 4gb & 8gb sticks together or should i just install 1 8gb stick first....
  9. Adding RAM and XMP

Adding RAM and XMP: Maybe this is better taken to a more niche forum, but I know there are some niche enthusiasts here who might be able to help me out. I've got an ASUS X99-A motherboard with 8 DIMM slots. I have a 16GB 4x4GB kit of HyperX Fury, and am thinking of buying a second, identical kit...
  10. More ram

More ram: hi,guys I have a dell inspiron m5040 laptop, it seems to load web pages a bit on the slow side, I note its using 4 GB of ram at the moment, I believe I can add a further 4 GB of ram, do you guys think the upgrade to a total of 8 GB of ram would load web pages faster, thanks...