Windows 10: Adding my Microsoft account as a backup login profile after creating local admin account

Discus and support Adding my Microsoft account as a backup login profile after creating local admin account in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Please be kind, as I'm an old dog trying to learn new tricks. LOL I've read that it's ideal to have a Microsoft account login set up to access my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by mawilliamsco, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Adding my Microsoft account as a backup login profile after creating local admin account

Please be kind, as I'm an old dog trying to learn new tricks. LOL I've read that it's ideal to have a Microsoft account login set up to access my laptop, plus a local admin account for backup purposes in case the main Microsoft account becomes corrupted. I've done that on my new laptop in that order, but my husband bought a new laptop and couldn't remember his Microsoft password on his old computer, so we initially set his new laptop up with just a local admin profile. We've reset his MS login and want to now add it to his laptop. The plan is to use it as his main profile and only use the admin profile if needed in the future.

I understand how to add the local account without being tied to a MS account like I did on my new laptop. What I'm really wondering is which option to choose when doing the reverse on his laptop? In Settings Accounts, there is the option to "sign in with a Microsoft account instead" or I could go to Family & other users and add it as a second account similar to the other scenario. If I choose, "sign in with a Microsoft account instead" is that going to impact the original local admin profile and replace it convert, whatever... not sure of the right way to put it since I'm a little out of my league here? Would it be better to add it as a Family & other users option?

Second, when I add his MS account, will any applications need to be installed on both profiles? I understand that they will both have admin rights and have access to his data which is the whole point for backup reasons. But for example, he started installing Office 365 on the local admin profile, but hasn't set up Outlook yet. Once I set up the MS profile, will I need to reinstall Office and Outlook? I'm so used to the old days when everything was local on the machine in PST files, that I'm not 100% clear what's in the cloud vs not with the new Office installation.

I should also add that we ultimately want to get a local copy of his email data eventually as we plan on moving the domain we own and its associated email accounts to a new hosting provider and want to make sure we don't lose anything.

Thanks for any help and advice!

:)

mawilliamsco, Jan 16, 2021

2. Windows 8 with 2 Microsoft accounts?

Yea, I would create a local account and just use your school account to login to Outlook and Onedrive.

Edit:

Here switch between local and microsoft account.

Mindweaver, Jan 16, 2021
  3. Kari Win User
    Convert online Microsoft Azure account to local account?

Unfortunately, you cannot switch an Azure AD account to a local or Microsoft account. You need to create a new user account first, make it an admin account, then disconnect from your organizational account, restart and sign in to new local account.

All software remains installed and intact but all user specific customizations and settings are lost, new local user starting from scratch with default settings.

The whole process step by step:

1.) Copy your personal data (documents, images etc.) from current Azure AD user profile folder to respective folders in C:\Users\Public

2.) In Settings > Accounts > Other people, add a new local user (see Option One in this tutorial) and change it's account type to Administrator (tutorial)

3.) Check that everything is correct, that you will see your Azure AD account under Work or school users (yellow highlight), and your new local admin account under Other people (blue highlight):

Adding my Microsoft account as a backup login profile after creating local admin account [​IMG]

4.) Select Access work or school on left pane, select the connected Azure AD domain, click Disconnect:

Adding my Microsoft account as a backup login profile after creating local admin account [​IMG]

5.) Click Yes:

6.) Click Disconnect:

7.) Enter the username and password for your new local admin account, click OK:

8.) Click Restart now:

9.) When back on desktop with your new local admin account, move personal data from Public folder and its subfolders you backed up in step 1 above to respective subfolders on new user profile folder. If the old Azure AD user profile folder is still present in Users folder, it can be deleted now.

That's it.

4. Adding my Microsoft account as a backup login profile after creating local admin account

Local vs Network user accounts

I just did a VM install, just to verify that I don't speak total crap.

Steps I took:

1. Installed Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 15063.0
    2. Entered the License Key
    3. Created a local account
    4. Went to accounts and added my Microsoft account
    5. Let Windows use this account for all apps
    6. Checked status on Microsoft account web page.
    7. Verified that the VM shows up there
    8. deleted my VM locally
    9. created a new VM installation without entering the License Key (on same VM but totally new Virtual disk)
    10. re-did steps 3-7
    11. verified that my VM is activated.

And indeed it is activated and I login to my VM using local account which is linked to my MS account. Adding my Microsoft account as a backup login profile after creating local admin account :)

Should I create a Video of this or do you trust my word on it? Or better yet test it yourself if you have a valid license key you can waste on a VM.

slicendice, Jan 16, 2021
Thema:

Adding my Microsoft account as a backup login profile after creating local admin account

1. Adding my Microsoft account as a backup login profile after creating local admin account - Similar Threads - Adding Microsoft account

2. Create NON-ADMIN Microsoft login account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Create NON-ADMIN Microsoft login account: I have Win10 Pro & 11 boxes with a local admin account only. We are moving to Azure so I need to create a user using a Microsoft account on the machine. When I try and create a user through Settings-Accounts-Access Work or School to create the user, it does just that and that...
  3. Create NON-ADMIN Microsoft login account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create NON-ADMIN Microsoft login account: I have Win10 Pro & 11 boxes with a local admin account only. We are moving to Azure so I need to create a user using a Microsoft account on the machine. When I try and create a user through Settings-Accounts-Access Work or School to create the user, it does just that and that...
  4. Create NON-ADMIN Microsoft login account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't login as my local admin account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't login as my local admin account: I have two local accounts on the PC. Windows automatically logs in as Operator.adminOperatorI removed administrator access from the Operator account and now I can't get it to login as my admin account. I can boot to cmd, make changes to the registry, but they don't take. I...
  6. Can't login as my local admin account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't login as my local admin account: I have two local accounts on the PC. Windows automatically logs in as Operator.adminOperatorI removed administrator access from the Operator account and now I can't get it to login as my admin account. I can boot to cmd, make changes to the registry, but they don't take. I...
  7. Can't login as my local admin account

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Adding my Microsoft account as a primary, but 2nd, login profile after originally creating...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Adding my Microsoft account as a primary, but 2nd, login profile after originally creating...: Please be kind, as I'm an old dog trying to learn new tricks. LOL I've read that it's ideal to have a Microsoft account login set up to access my laptop, plus a local admin account for backup purposes in case the main Microsoft account becomes corrupted. I've done that on...
  9. Local username/profile for Microsoft Account login?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Local username/profile for Microsoft Account login?: Whenever I log in with my Microsoft Account to a new machine, it creates a local username and profile folder with a misspelled name (last few characters are truncated). (e.g. "C:\Users\willi" instead of "C:\Users\william"). Where is this stored, and can I change it? I...
  10. admin accounts (local or Microsoft?)

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    admin accounts (local or Microsoft?): Hi I have used Win 10 since it came out and in general, I'm happy with it. Is there a difference in system access rights given to a local account administrator as compared to an Microsoft account based logon to an admin account? The reason I ask is that I only have one log...