Windows 10: Adding names to photos, text size varies widely

Discus and support Adding names to photos, text size varies widely in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I have a large collection of family pictures. Sometimes the name gets separated from the picture so I started using Faststone Image Viewer to add to... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by fscltp, Mar 1, 2021.

1. fscltp Win User

Adding names to photos, text size varies widely

I have a large collection of family pictures. Sometimes the name gets separated from the picture so I started using Faststone Image Viewer to add to the canvas (bottom) (50 pixels). Then I can type the person's name. These are great for ancestry write-ups.

I then put a picture border around the page in Microsoft Word 2013, so picture sizes and the names should be the same. About 5 pictures across top and bottom and around 7 on left and right side. Then, text in the middle of the page. Looks really great!

However, the text (name) on some pictures are too large, and others are too small. I get very few Goldilocks (just right). I discovered I cannot use the same text size for all the pictures. But I don't know why or how to fix this.

I know I can put names right under the picture in Word, but then I have to group text/picture if I need to move any. Too tedious to do when there are so many pictures. FastStone really does a good job of clear, smooth text and I would prefer to use that. (Free version)

I don't know if dots per inch would affect the size, no two pictures seem to be alike. These are older pix other family members have scanned, other pictures are more current and taken with digital cameras, or smart phone. I can change the size of the picture easily, but if it has a name inserted on it, then it is either too small to read or so large that it is distracting.

I find that typing the name on the original digital file then dragging to resize in Word makes a more clear picture than if I resized the picture to the final size first then typing in the name. I never know when I would need to put the picture in a different layout and it gives a better picture to drag the original size picture to make smaller rather than drag to increase size of picture.

Any suggestions? I am using Windows 10

:)

fscltp, Mar 1, 2021
  2. fscltp Win User

I have a large collection of family pictures. Sometimes the name gets separated from the picture so I started using Faststone Image Viewer to add to the canvas (bottom) (50 pixels). Then I can type the person's name. These are great for ancestry write-ups.

I then put a picture border around the page in Microsoft Word 2013, so picture sizes and the names should be the same. About 5 pictures across top and bottom and around 7 on left and right side. Then, text in the middle of the page. Looks really great!

However, the text (name) on some pictures are too large, and others are too small. I get very few Goldilocks (just right). I discovered I cannot use the same text size for all the pictures. But I don't know why or how to fix this.

I know I can put names right under the picture in Word, but then I have to group text/picture if I need to move any. Too tedious to do when there are so many pictures. FastStone really does a good job of clear, smooth text and I would prefer to use that. (Free version)

I don't know if dots per inch would affect the size, no two pictures seem to be alike. These are older pix other family members have scanned, other pictures are more current and taken with digital cameras, or smart phone. I can change the size of the picture easily, but if it has a name inserted on it, then it is either too small to read or so large that it is distracting.

I find that typing the name on the original digital file then dragging to resize in Word makes a more clear picture than if I resized the picture to the final size first then typing in the name. I never know when I would need to put the picture in a different layout and it gives a better picture to drag the original size picture to make smaller rather than drag to increase size of picture.

Any suggestions? I am using Windows 10

fscltp, Mar 1, 2021
  3. Windows 10 Photo - adding Text

In Paint, you can add a section to the bottom of photo, set your final resolution you want and then use the text tools and select text size and enter the text in the added portion on the photo.

I do it quite frequently.

For example;

If you use mostly wide screen 16:9 aspect ratio photos in varying resolutions,

then you can make a template that would be as high as you like and 16:9 width.

Then when you upload a photo into paint, you can add the template to bottom, usually where you want it and type in your text.

real easy to do.

Even easier in Paint 3D, where you can just enlarge the canvas size and add text. Similar to what happens in Paint but fewer steps.

YUP that works too. But if you do a lot of photos then templates is faster and you have the same size areas for text per photo and do not have to mess around with sizing the additional sections for the text on each photo.

seahawks65, Mar 1, 2021
  4. JimWynne Win User

Windows 10 Photo - adding Text

In Paint, you can add a section to the bottom of photo, set your final resolution you want and then use the text tools and select text size and enter the text in the added portion on the photo.

I do it quite frequently.

For example;

If you use mostly wide screen 16:9 aspect ratio photos in varying resolutions,

then you can make a template that would be as high as you like and 16:9 width.

Then when you upload a photo into paint, you can add the template to bottom, usually where you want it and type in your text.

real easy to do.

Even easier in Paint 3D, where you can just enlarge the canvas size and add text. Similar to what happens in Paint but fewer steps.

JimWynne, Mar 1, 2021
Thema:

1. Adding names to photos, text size varies widely - Similar Threads - Adding names photos

2. Weather Widget Varies with Size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weather Widget Varies with Size: I honestly had not noticed this in Medium Weather 'til now... it may not be anything new. Thought I'd share it, no matter. The Weather Widget offers different things depending on what size is used:Small is very minimalThis is Medium which offers 5 Hourly temps, 5 Daily temps...
  3. Weather Widget Varies with Size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Weather Widget Varies with Size: I honestly had not noticed this in Medium Weather 'til now... it may not be anything new. Thought I'd share it, no matter. The Weather Widget offers different things depending on what size is used:Small is very minimalThis is Medium which offers 5 Hourly temps, 5 Daily temps...
  4. text size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    text size: i literally just hit like one **** key and now suddenly my youtube cc is **** TINY and so are my notifications. i cant find anything on this and it's really **** annoying. how the **** did i do this and how do i fix it???...
  5. Why do data transfer rates vary so widely?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why do data transfer rates vary so widely?: Pardon me if this question has been addressed, but I couldn't get the search function to find this particular topic. When using the internal copy function to transfer files from a system's hard drive to an external hard drive, the data transfer rate seems to vary widely,...
  6. Names added in Photos Windows 10 Disappeared

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Names added in Photos Windows 10 Disappeared: In Photos, under More/People 'Add name' I spent several days adding names to hundreds of photos individual icons displayed by Photos. After Windows 10 update KB4592449 on 12/9/2020, the photos are still there, but all names I entered have disappeared....
  7. Text Size

in Windows 10 Customization
    Text Size: I just updated to windows 2004 and it changed the text size under my displayed shortcuts. How do I change the text size? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/text-size/71b48c43-aaf8-4b83-ad3a-87c6d6a6557f
  8. Adding text to the photo

in Windows 10 Customization
    Adding text to the photo: I don’t know how to add a text to the photo in Photo app. Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/adding-text-to-the-photo/ae0cde3f-1253-4fdb-b511-6b1f19a0eb84
  9. internet download speed varies widely

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    internet download speed varies widely: In past 6 months my internet download speed as measured by https://www.spectrum.com/internet/speed-test.html has been around 180 mbps. I have noticed in the past week the download speed is around 25. The upload speed has remained about the same, around 11 mbps. Various...
  10. text size

in Windows 10 Support
    text size: I have just upgraded to windows 10. I find the text size of 125% best suits me - but it plays havoc with my SmartSuite 123 files. Any ways to selectively change the text size?? Thanks Colin Lambert 47758