Windows 10: Adding Network Locations Always Fails

Discus and support Adding Network Locations Always Fails in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I only have this problem with Win10 Pro x64, regardless of the version/build numbers. After making a few connections to my network location that I add,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by robb213, Dec 7, 2015.

1. robb213 Win User

Adding Network Locations Always Fails

I only have this problem with Win10 Pro x64, regardless of the version/build numbers. After making a few connections to my network location that I add, in this case a WebDAV file server for school I use, Windows will eventually decide that the location doesn't exist anymore. If I remove the drive, and add it again via "Add a Network Location", no matter what address I enter, the location "...doesn't exist...". The wizard will start, I give it an address, and after a few moments it tells me it cannot find the drive, while the Windows Security box's bar is still moving from left to right trying to connect.

If I use a third-party program, it will work at first like above, but after I connect so many times after system shut downs, these programs will eventually stop working too (but they at least retain a cache so I can view my drive offline); this is because Windows Explorer decides again the location doesn't exist. If I decide to boot via my Win8.1 install, it works as I would expect it to.

I've done everything I can think of to rule it out including:
    • Disable AV suite
    • Make sure networking related services are running
    • Use DMZ on router briefly to rule it out
    • Using Windows Troubleshooter
    • Disable firewall

Interesting enough, this is a relatively clean install. My first Win10 install had huge problems with the v1151 update, so I formatted and installed Win10 v1511. This problem, exactly the same, occurred with my first install too, eventually just ceasing to work like now.

At this point, I'm lost and don't know if this can be fixed, or if this is another problem to add to the list of "Windows 10 killed networking in general".

Here's a CBS log if anyone is curious, but fixing with an install.wim repair doesn't change it, nor does it probably help that I change my login background which I know also makes the system find errors.

It'd be great if this is something that can be fixed *Smile

:)

robb213, Dec 7, 2015
  2. Geoffc1 Win User

Groove Music fails to scan network locations for music

You're not the only one having problems with Groove monitoring music libraries held on WHS 2011.

Groove is badly broken

I haven't done your MKLINK steps, just added the \\servername\music\ link to the Windows 10 Music library. That should be sufficient (it always was in Windows 7 and 8.1).

Groove Music - Amnesia in Action

Geoffc1, Dec 7, 2015
  3. jwcarroll Win User
    Groove Music fails to scan network locations for music

I hope they get this fixed soon, I really wanted to use Groove this time around. I like the interface quite a bit and I like the idea that I can have my library accessible form my mobile devices. I am currently using MediaMonkey for my PC and Subsonic Media
    Server for my mobile devices.

jwcarroll, Dec 7, 2015
Thema:

Adding Network Locations Always Fails

1. Adding Network Locations Always Fails - Similar Threads - Adding Network Locations

2. Adding a Network Location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adding a Network Location: When I am trying to set up a network location where do I find a place to use as it is requesting a location of my website which I do not have?Kenneth https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/adding-a-network-location/96df9d25-d1b8-47c1-a2a4-0fa314ce7847
  3. Adding a Network Location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adding a Network Location: When I am trying to set up a network location where do I find a place to use as it is requesting a location of my website which I do not have?Kenneth https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/adding-a-network-location/96df9d25-d1b8-47c1-a2a4-0fa314ce7847
  4. Adding network locations to Windows Libraries

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Adding network locations to Windows Libraries: I have a client who wants me to set this up but I cannot find a way to make it work; He's replaced the machine where the data is stored, and has a new user profile; I mention that because he DID have libraries setup on the old user profile to the old machine that included...
  5. Adding 2nd laptop to home network failed

Adding 2nd laptop to home network failed: Now that HOMEGROUP has all but gone away how do I had a 3rd computer to my home network? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4091368/windows-10-homegroup-removed I haven't done this in several years and the old methods don't seem to apply. For example, I thought all...
  6. Network Locations

Network Locations: Just recently I have been noticing that sometimes, the "Network Location" in This PC, which is located underneath your "Devices and Drives" drop down tab contains network location(s) at times and would then disappear after a time. I just then today, went into the Network tab...
  7. failing to add webserver as network location

failing to add webserver as network location: I failed to add a college class webserver as network location. Once I’ve managed to add it, but then the webserver disappeared from the network location. I tried to add it for the second time but received an error message that the folder doesn't appear to be valid. However,...
  8. failed to access network location

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    failed to access network location: I failed to install some programs because of "not access network location *:\user\nodeJs\.” error. I use Windows 10 Home and encountered this issue while executing installation of different programs....
  9. Location is Always Wrong..

in Windows 10 Customization
    Location is Always Wrong..: Windows 10 is always wrong on my location by 50 miles. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/location-is-always-wrong/3f35c34c-27f2-407d-b01d-335bda14b354
  10. adding a website to network locations

adding a website to network locations: Hi When I attempt to add one of my websites (Request Rejected) to network locations - i receive an error. Depending upon how i attempt to do it I either get "network address can not be found" or "invalid, may be password protected, of may contain a \ or /" one old...