Windows 10: Adding network locations to Windows Libraries

Discus and support Adding network locations to Windows Libraries in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a client who wants me to set this up but I cannot find a way to make it work; He's replaced the machine where the data is stored, and has a new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MathewTaylor74, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Adding network locations to Windows Libraries

I have a client who wants me to set this up but I cannot find a way to make it work; He's replaced the machine where the data is stored, and has a new user profile; I mention that because he DID have libraries setup on the old user profile to the old machine that included network locations.

However I cannot find any workable solutions.

Thanks for your help.

***Original title: Can we add network locations to a Windows 10 Library?***

:)

MathewTaylor74, Jul 4, 2019
  2. Rose Cal Win User

add a network location windows 10

Hi Erich,

Adding a network place in Windows allows you to access FTP, Windows file shares, and some HTTP servers directly in My Network Places, without having to use an FTP client.
    To assist you better, kindly answer the following questions:

• Are you getting any error messages when you tried adding a network location?
    • Are you trying to add a network location or map a network drive?

Meanwhile, if you're adding a network location, we suggest that you follow these steps below about adding a network location:

• Open This PC in File Explorer, click on the Computer tab, click on the
      Add a network location button in the ribbon.
    • Click on Next in the Add Network Location wizard.
    • Click on Choose a custom network location, and click on
      Next
    • Type the address of the website, FTP site, or network location you want to add, and click on
      Next.
    • If you are allowed to log on anonymously to this network location, click on
      Next
    • Type a name you want for this network location in This PC, and click on
      Next
    • If you are not allowed to log on anonymously to this network location, then uncheck the
      Log on anonymously box, enter the user name for the network location, and click on
      Next.
    • Click on Finish.
    • If you could not log on anonymously to this network location, you will see a
      Log On As
      dialog prompting you to enter the user name and password for this network location. Check the
      Save password box if you do not want to be required to type the user name and password every time you access this network location. Click on
      Log On when finished.
    • The network location will now open.

If you're mapping a network, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article
    on how to map a network drive.

Let us know if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Jul 4, 2019
  3. jwcarroll Win User
    Groove Music fails to scan network locations for music

I setup Groove Music and added a network location to the libraries where I store all my purchased music files. I have a total of three locations that Groove should scanning. The network share is on a WHS2011 with Read, Write and execute permissions.

Music (Default Location)

Music (C:\Users\UserName\oneDrive

Music (L: \\WHS2011)

Groove picks up music in the local Music folder and on OneDrive but will not pick it up form the share.

• I have verified that the share is accessible and all rights are being applied properly
    • I have verified and reentered my network credentials.
    • I have added the share via IP and Friendly.
    • I have created a directory link via MKLINK in the root of "C:" that pointed to the network share then added it to the library.
    • I have created a directory link via MKLINK to the share form within the local Music folder
    • I have mapped the share then added it to the library.
    • I have reset Groove Music
    • I have ensured windows is up to date
    • I have ensured that local music is being scanned and added to Groove Music
    • I do not have any events related to the issue
    • I have added a network share form a different device with the same results
    Anything that I am missing or is this just a bug?

UPDATE:

• Ran a clean boot to no avail
    • Ran SFC and found no issues
    • Tried adding a network location then added it to the Library to no avail as well
    • Set the Shared location as Default save location as well as Public save location

jwcarroll, Jul 4, 2019
  4. Adding network locations to Windows Libraries

Delete a Library in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for being part of Windows 10.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are happy to help you.

I would suggest you to restore the Libraries and then try deleting the Library folder.

Follow the below steps.

• Press Windows + E keys from the Keyboard to open the
      File Explorer.
    • Locate Libraries from the left pane.
    • Right click on Libraries and select Restore default libraries option from the list.
    Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Jul 4, 2019
Thema:

Adding network locations to Windows Libraries

1. Adding network locations to Windows Libraries - Similar Threads - Adding network locations

2. Adding a Network Location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adding a Network Location: When I am trying to set up a network location where do I find a place to use as it is requesting a location of my website which I do not have?Kenneth https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/adding-a-network-location/96df9d25-d1b8-47c1-a2a4-0fa314ce7847
  3. Adding a Network Location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adding a Network Location: When I am trying to set up a network location where do I find a place to use as it is requesting a location of my website which I do not have?Kenneth https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/adding-a-network-location/96df9d25-d1b8-47c1-a2a4-0fa314ce7847
  4. Adding to library

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adding to library: so I have Minecraft java and i want bedrock so i go to the microsoft store and ask for permission and its allowed but its been sitting on working on it for a couple of hours or so so I have java Minecraft and I wanted bedrock so i went to Microsoft store and did buy the I...
  5. Search: Matching items in network locations in Libraries not found

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search: Matching items in network locations in Libraries not found: Searching Windows key + S for known file and folder names and known phrases in documents doesn't return matching items in network locations in my Libraries. I ran the Search and Indexing troubleshooter with admin rights. It found "incorrect permissions on windows search...
  6. Can we add network locations to a Windows 10 Library?

Can we add network locations to a Windows 10 Library?: I have a client who wants me to set this up but I cannot find a way to make it work; He's replaced the machine where the data is stored, and has a new user profile; I mention that because he DID have libraries setup on the old user profile to the old machine that included...
  7. Default Library location

Default Library location: How do I restore the libraries to their default location. I have tried bringing up properties on the default library folder and changing location to the default but it says it can't continue because the destination location already gas a folder by that name. Why doesn't it...
  8. adding a website to network locations

adding a website to network locations: Hi When I attempt to add one of my websites (Request Rejected) to network locations - i receive an error. Depending upon how i attempt to do it I either get "network address can not be found" or "invalid, may be password protected, of may contain a \ or /" one old...
  9. Adding Network Locations Always Fails

Adding Network Locations Always Fails: I only have this problem with Win10 Pro x64, regardless of the version/build numbers. After making a few connections to my network location that I add, in this case a WebDAV file server for school I use, Windows will eventually decide that the location doesn't exist anymore....
  10. Redirecting location of libraries

in Windows 10 Support
    Redirecting location of libraries: I installed my SS, put OS on it. Now I need my HDD to contain the libraries: pictures, documents, videos etc... I need a tutorial on that. 90134