Windows 10: Adding NEW file types to context menu

Discus and support Adding NEW file types to context menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I would like to add file type .FC7 to my right click (context) NEW menu so I can open a new FastCad drawing in any folder. I found one link that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MikeyChris, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Adding NEW file types to context menu

Hello,
    I would like to add file type .FC7 to my right click (context) NEW menu so I can open a new FastCad drawing in any folder. I found one link that showed how to do this, but it did not work for me. Basically it added a key under the HK_CLASSES_ROOT tree, adding a SheelNew key under the file extension. For whatever reason, .FC7 did not appear under that tree, so Ihad to create it. After following the directions, NOTHING new appeared in the NEW context menu. I thought I had at one time found a utility that made this easy, but I may be thinking of a much older version of Windows. I am running Win 10 Pro Ver 1909 (I had issues with 2004). ANy help is appreciated!

:)

MikeyChris, Nov 5, 2020
  2. Mi(h&e1 Win User

Changing the file types available in the new menu item of the windows context menu

How do you alter the file types that are listed when you select 'New'
    from the Windows 10 context menu? New software installations add their file types and replace items that were already listed. For example I can create WinZip and Zipx files after installing WinZip, but I cannot create a new Visio file because it is no longer
    in the list.

Mi(h&e1, Nov 5, 2020
  3. Custom context menu entries

So, just throwing this out there, in case somone knows.

I have added a custom context menu entry for the program rightload, since by default the menu is broken in vistax64.

It works pefect with single files, but when I select mutiple files and try to open, I get mutiple instances of the program (which makes sense), here is my entry:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rightload\Rightload.exe --server=1 --autostart %1

So the %1 passes the filename to the program, and when I select multiple files it is just opening multiple instances of rightload each with a different file.

What I'd like to do is be able to pass a list of the files selected to the program. Since I know it is capable of uploading multiple files from the context menu, all in one instance.

So, is there something I can pass besides %1 that will do this? I have looked around and can't seem to find an answer anywhere... *Frown Adding NEW file types to context menu :(

ArmoredCavalry, Nov 5, 2020
  4. Flummox Win User

Adding NEW file types to context menu

Registry: Adding a new file type to HKCR\SystemFileAssociations

I want to create a new context menu that is only visible on audio files.

Doing this on an extension-by-extension basis is not a solution because I need the added context menu to be visible when selecting multiple different audio types (i.e. different extensions, such as .wav, .mp3, .flac etc.).

I can get this to work by creating my new context menu key in HKCR\* but this adds the context menu to every file type (so it appears on non-audio files where the context menu is not wanted).

I did some digging around in the Registry and found the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\audio (there's also ones for documents, images and video).

Adding my new context menu key only to SystemFileAssociations\audio (and nowhere else) works as intended: My context menu shows up on .wav, .mp3, .wma, .aiff, .au, and a few other audio file types, and it remains visible even when selecting across multiple different audio file types in Explorer.

However, the problem is that the audio file formats over which this works is rather limited. It does not work with .flac, .ogg / .oga, .opus and .wv (which are other audio file types that I want the new context menu to show up on).

Does anyone know how I can add these file types to the list of extensions that are already recognized as audio files? (i.e in the same way that .mp3, .aiff and .wav files etc. are being handled)

I've checked the PerceivedType for my audio files, but that makes no difference. I then saw some suspiciously familiar extensions lists in Windows Media Player's file association and MIME type lists (which matched the extensions that had responded to my new context menu) but adding new file types to WMPs extensions and registered MIME types didn't work either.

I even tried (in a clean OS in a virtual machine) installing a codec pack so that pretty much every audio file type could play back in WMP, then I associated all those audio file types with WMP by default to see if that would make these extra audio file types become recognized as belong to the group 'audio', but that didn't work either.

Interestingly, my context menu also got added to .mid files even though they are not audio files (in the sense that they don't actually contain any audio). So there is some kind of music / audio classification of extensions going on somewhere, regardless of the actual content of the file. It's by designation rather than by content.

I have seen other posts on the net mention similar problems with other file association groups (such as 'images' and 'documents' where certain basic files (such as .bmp in the case of 'images') respond and work as intended, but other file types from the same category do not.

What's the best way to achieve the outcome I'm looking for (either by being able to add more audio file types to the existing list of files currently being affected by the 'audio' key in SystemFileAssociations, or perhaps there is another key elsewhere (that already exists, or which could be created) that allows a context menu to be visible on the specified types even when more than one of the specified file types has been selected.

Flummox, Nov 5, 2020
Thema:

Adding NEW file types to context menu

1. Adding NEW file types to context menu - Similar Threads - Adding file types

2. Adding items to the New context menu.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Adding items to the New context menu.: I have been trying to get a .php file in the new context menu with no luck. Even without the template file, it still does not work. Does anyone have any idea on how to do this? I have followed several procedures and none of them work. Windows 10 Pro RTM x64 V.2004 165692
  3. Adding items to the New context menu.

in Windows 10 Support
    Adding items to the New context menu.: I have been trying to get a .php file in the new context menu with no luck. Even without the template file, it still does not work. Does anyone have any idea on how to do this? I have followed several procedures and none of them work. Windows 10 Pro RTM x64 V.2004 165692
  4. Adding an item to the new context menu.

Adding an item to the new context menu.: I am looking for a way to add a new item to the new context menu. The item in question is a .php file, with an associated template file. I've been tinkering around with the registry trying to get it to work, but nothing seems to be working. All the old methods no longer...
  5. Menu to create new file is gone from context menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Menu to create new file is gone from context menu: Hi, for whatever reason I am only able to create a new folder / shortcut and not a new file. Any idea how I might get the normal "new" menu back? [img] OS Version: 2004 OS Build 19041.208 155787
  6. Add option to context menu to open file type

in Windows 10 Support
    Add option to context menu to open file type: By default, Windows will open a MIDI file with Windows Media Player on double-click. This is fine. However, I'd like to add the option to open MIDI files to the context menu (right click). As it is, to open a MIDI file with MuseScore (my current preferred software), I have...
  7. Adding Bluetooth Send File to File Context Menu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Adding Bluetooth Send File to File Context Menu: I am trying to create an entry in file context menu that enables me to send selected file via bluetooth directly , also for this menu to display paired devices as menu entries to send to which directly . Problem is fsquirt decided to give me a headache as to not recognize %1...
  8. Adding Bluetooth Send File to File Context Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Adding Bluetooth Send File to File Context Menu: I am trying to create an entry in file context menu that enables me to send selected file via bluetooth directly , also for this menu to display paired devices as menu entries to send to which directly . Problem is fsquirt decided to give me a headache as to not recognize %1...
  9. Unable to add .prt extension file type to New context menu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to add .prt extension file type to New context menu: Hi All, I'm unable to add RMB context menu for .prt file types. Nothing is displayed when RMB on file. I've asked same question on Stack overflow but no replay yet. Link for question: [Removed by Moderator] Thanks, Samadhan ***Modified Title From: Unable...
  10. Adding excel in new context menu

Adding excel in new context menu: Hi, I'm trying to add excel program in the "new" context menu. [img] I went to regedit (ShellNew) : [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT]; .xlsx [img] I added "NullFile" key and put it to '1' as proposed in several procedures on the net. I restarted my computer...