Windows 10: Adding physical disks to a storage pool

Discus and support Adding physical disks to a storage pool in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a storage pool of 4 physical 8tb disks. I added 2 more physical 8tb disks to the pool, but there doesn't seem to be a size increase. What I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/smp4111, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Adding physical disks to a storage pool

I have a storage pool of 4 physical 8tb disks. I added 2 more physical 8tb disks to the pool, but there doesn't seem to be a size increase. What I'm reading is that storage pools can't be added to once created, but that doesn't sound right. So, how do I get the added disks to appear in my usable storage space?

submitted by /u/smp4111
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/smp4111, Nov 19, 2019

2. How to remove external hard disk from storage pool on Windows 10

Hi Velen,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern about removing the external hard disk from storage pool, we will help you with this issue.

Try the below steps to: Remove a physical disk by using Windows PowerShell
    and check if it helps.

• Press Windows
      key from the keyboard, type Windows PowerShell and select
      Run as administrator.

• Enter the command replacing <diskname> with the disk name:

• Set-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName <diskname> -Usage Retired
    (If the pool is clustered, you will need to run this command on the cluster node which has the cluster resource for the pool online.)

3. Prior to performing step 5, you must wait for all active repair jobs to complete. To monitor the status of repair jobs, type the following command:
    Get-StorageJob

4. Type the following command: Remove-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName <diskname>

5. Physically disconnect the old disk.

For further reference: Storage Spaces Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 19, 2019
  3. Storage Pool missing

Hello.

I had four 4TB drives in a 8TB Storage Pool mirrored setup.

I was trying to use the "Remove"-option to replace one of the disks. After clicking it, Windows became unresponsive and then bluescreen. When Windows booted back up, the Storage Pool was missing, and the physical disks not accessible anymore. Missing in
    disk manager and my computer, but not Device manager. They are still listed there.

Get-Physicaldisk reports the disks as Starting, OK but Health status is Unknown. CanPool is false. Get-Virtualdisk reports nothing.

This setup was (unfortunately?) formatted with ReFS back in 8.1 years ago, which was nothing more than an experiment at the time and I just kept filling up not really thinking about it.

KristofferKvam, Nov 19, 2019
  4. Frick Win User

Adding physical disks to a storage pool

The return of the Drive Extender - Windows 8 Pool disks

Linky link.

OK, the old version of Windows Home Server hade a technology called Drive Extender. You added disks to a pool of storage, so that you had several physical discs but only one logical "disc" (or pool or whatever they called it). Kinda like RAID, but simpler. Windows 8 will have a similiar thing, but a bit more powerful: Storage Spaces. From the article:

The good thing is that it will probably be included in both desktop and server versions of Win8. Now I want a Home Server based on Win8.

Frick, Nov 19, 2019
Thema:

Adding physical disks to a storage pool

1. Adding physical disks to a storage pool - Similar Threads - Adding physical disks

2. Physical Disks cannot be pooled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Physical Disks cannot be pooled: Hi, I have a group of 7 physical drives connected to the SATA ports on the motherboard.They are seen by the disk management tool as "Basic Disk" and there are no volumes defined "Unallocated". Each drive is 1TiB 931.5 GB to be precise.Now, I would like to create a striped...
  3. Physical Disks cannot be pooled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Physical Disks cannot be pooled: Hi, I have a group of 7 physical drives connected to the SATA ports on the motherboard.They are seen by the disk management tool as "Basic Disk" and there are no volumes defined "Unallocated". Each drive is 1TiB 931.5 GB to be precise.Now, I would like to create a striped...
  4. Physical Disks cannot be pooled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Physical Disks cannot be pooled: Hi, I have a group of 7 physical drives connected to the SATA ports on the motherboard. They are seen by the disk management tool as "Basic Disk" and there are no volumes defined "Unallocated". Each drive is 1TiB 931.5 GB to be precise. Now, I would like to create a striped...
  5. Physical Disks cannot be pooled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Physical Disks cannot be pooled: Hi, I have a group of 7 physical drives connected to the SATA ports on the motherboard. They are seen by the disk management tool as "Basic Disk" and there are no volumes defined "Unallocated". Each drive is 1TiB 931.5 GB to be precise. Now, I would like to create a striped...
  6. Vrituel Disk issues Storage Pool

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Vrituel Disk issues Storage Pool: i,i'am new in this forum and i don't have enough expertise in the domain of storage Pool i have an issue since last week with my server i have created a storage pool from Windows servers 2019 with 8 nas behind it and every nas have 4 disks so all the disks are healthy and...
  7. How to Rename Physical Drive in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Rename Physical Drive in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Essentially, Storage Spaces stores two copies of your data so if one of your […] This article How to Rename Physical Drive in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. Storage Pool

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Pool: My Asus VivoBook recently ran out of storage space so I have been using an external hard drive to store everything. Yet my laptop progessed into no disc space and wasn't responding to basic functions like the use of Microsoft Word. I decided to create a storage pool to allow...
  9. Adding a Hard Drive to storage pool

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Adding a Hard Drive to storage pool: Trying to add internal hard to storage pool but keep getting error 0x00000005 or "need to close all applications that are open that are connected to that drive. How do I find out what applications need to be closed...
  10. Rename Physical Drive in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Rename Physical Drive in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: How to: Rename Physical Drive in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 How to Rename Physical Drive in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. When you add drives to a storage pool, the hardware...