Windows 10: Adding RAM and XMP

Discus and support Adding RAM and XMP in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Maybe this is better taken to a more niche forum, but I know there are some niche enthusiasts here who might be able to help me out. I've got an ASUS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by kbronski, Jan 29, 2016.

1. kbronski Win User

Adding RAM and XMP

Maybe this is better taken to a more niche forum, but I know there are some niche enthusiasts here who might be able to help me out. I've got an ASUS X99-A motherboard with 8 DIMM slots. I have a 16GB 4x4GB kit of HyperX Fury, and am thinking of buying a second, identical kit to add to boost myself up to 32GB while taking advantage of all 8 DIMM slots. What I'm curious about is whether this will negatively affect my XMP profiling. I am not overclocking the RAM, but I do want to keep it running at 2400MHz and not board-defaulted to 2133 if possible. It would basically be two dual channel kits in 8 DIMM slots, instead of one quad channel kit.

:)

kbronski, Jan 29, 2016
  2. MrAlec Win User

[SOLVED] Multiple BSOD, please help!

Forgot to get back to this post. But I solved the situation! It was XMP that was causing my errors. I disabled XMP and manually changed the timings of my RAM to get it back to the same speed and no errors ever since!

MrAlec, Jan 29, 2016
  3. LCRT Win User
    Lumia 1320 Camera image formats: XMP, JPEG/Exif

XMP isn't an image format. its metadata added to the images.

4. bobkn Win User

Adding RAM and XMP

I have the system listed in my specs. I have all 8 DIMM slots populated, and am using the XMP profile. The RAM runs at its nominal frequency (DDR4 2666).

I have had motherboards in the past where the RAM settings had to be dialed back a bit if all of the slot were used, but not this one. I'd expect the Asus to be OK as well.

Would you care to clarify your last sentence? Will you be running four dual channel kits, two quad channel kits, or one quad channel kit plus two dual channel kits?

bobkn, Jan 29, 2016
  5. kbronski Win User
    Sorry. The kit I have is 4x4GB. It is able to have an XMP profile for 2400MHz. If I add a second, identical 4x4GB kit to populate all 8 DIMM slots, will I be able to enable XMP to use all 8 DIMMs at the same (2400MHz) frequency?

kbronski, Jan 31, 2016
  6. bobkn Win User
    Probably. Works for me on my Asrock X99 board with a total of 8 Gskill DDR4 2666 DIMMs (two quad kits).

bobkn, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Adding RAM and XMP

1. Adding RAM and XMP - Similar Threads - Adding RAM XMP

2. BSOD when XMP Is Enabled

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when XMP Is Enabled: Since I built my PC a couple of week's a go, I have had no end of trouble trying to enable XMP. In the latest attempt this morning, I enabled it and got a memory_management BSOD after launching Steam. EDIT: Just had two more with system_service_exception, so I've disabled...
  3. Windows Deactivated after adding more RAM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Deactivated after adding more RAM: A few days ago I added two more ram sticks to my PC and didn't remove or tamper with the ones already in it. My PC was prebuilt and came with Windows 10 Home already activated so I don't have an email with the product key to reactivate it. I also tried the trouble shooter but...
  4. Experienced filesystem corruption. Could adding RAM be the cause?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Experienced filesystem corruption. Could adding RAM be the cause?: All of a sudden I could not boot up my MSI Titan GT80 SLI. The event that happened right before that, I installed RAM, an 8GB DIMM. I powered off the box, inserted the DIMM, powered it back on and it bootlooped. Hit the BCD entry, tried to hit the disk via the BIOS and never...
  5. windows 10 won't recognize added RAM

windows 10 won't recognize added RAM: I've just added 4 GB of additional RAM to my Laptop, but windows 10 don't recognize it. What do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-wont-recognize-added-ram/e709c6d6-a33e-44f1-8e3d-0a8dca2d759f
  6. Adding more RAM to my Windows 10 laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Adding more RAM to my Windows 10 laptop: Hello My current Windows 10 laptop has 4gb DDR4 2400MHZ installed. Im planning to add another 8gb DDR4 stick so that I'll have a total of 12gb RAM. my question is can i mix 4gb & 8gb sticks together or should i just install 1 8gb stick first....
  7. BSOD after I've added RAM

BSOD after I've added RAM: I've gone through memory testing, nothing found. In following troubleshooting guidelines here, I've gotten to the step of uploading my DMP files to OneDrive, and they are linked here: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AiEl75rCfH_cgadXjXpKXBXfInahTw Please assist me in analyzing the...
  8. Multiple BSOD issues after adding RAM to laptop

Multiple BSOD issues after adding RAM to laptop: I have an ASUS ROG G751JL that came with 8GB of RAM from the factory. It was upgraded to Windows 10, from Windows 8.1. The laptop has four memory slots, 2 easily accessible and 2 very hard to reach. I added two sticks of 8 GB on the easy to access slots (1 and 3) with the...
  9. BSOD while playing games (added new ram)

BSOD while playing games (added new ram): So I've recently purchased a new memory stick which is identical to what I have been using for the past 2 years. When I first built this pc, i've been only using a single 4GB stick (Apotop 4gb 1600Mhz) and recently I've decided to upgrade to 8GB by adding another stick. After...
  10. Adding more "Ram" ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Adding more "Ram" ?: I noticed that my laptop could handle a little more "Ram" so i ran the Crucial info tool and the screenshot shows what options i have . I have an Asus U56e laptop which i believe came with 6 gigs of Ram , would going this route improve speed even by a small amount ?...