Windows 10: Adding "Recent" to file save location suggestions

Discus and support Adding "Recent" to file save location suggestions in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am so frustrated that Windows 10 does not seem to have the "recent" options for locations to save/search for a file. I use a large folder system and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JReynard, Oct 31, 2018.

1. JReynard Win User

Adding "Recent" to file save location suggestions

I am so frustrated that Windows 10 does not seem to have the "recent" options for locations to save/search for a file. I use a large folder system and am many layers deep in different locations throughout the day. I seem to be spending so much time drilling down to what I want, when the "Recent" feature eliminated that need in prior Windows versions.

Please let me know if there is a setting somewhere that I am missing, or if this will be rolled out as an update.

Signed,

Frustrated User

:)

JReynard, Oct 31, 2018
  2. Jerry8A Win User

Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Hello -
    Thanks for the return. Before I undertake changing the Registry, I have a question.
    The steps in my Registry, for my version of Windows 10, were a bit different, but I think I eventually got to the right spot.
    The last step is to change the number of places you want to list in Recent Places. In my case, the default Max Display listed 50 as the number. So, if I were to change that number, how do I know the Save As page will be one of those places? Or, a similar question, will this registry change delete the tab Recent from my Save As page? This is what I would like to happen.
    When I received my computer in Nov. 2016, the Recent tab was not listed in the Save As page. Something caused it to be added over time. Which brings me to this second question. Would there be any benefit in deleting the changed registry listing and reverting back to the default listing? See attachment.
    Jerry

Jerry8A, Oct 31, 2018
  3. slozomby Win User
    Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Oct 31, 2018
  4. Jerry8A Win User

Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings

I am trying to save my files to OneDrive as a default. It has always worked as my default. For some reason, the default save location is now Recent. Something caused it to change. All default locations settings in Word Options, my computer and OneDrive settings are set to save to OneDrive. It appears my computer does not recognize these default settings.

Do you have any suggestions how I can have my default locations for files change back to OneDrive?

I use Windows 10. My computer is Dell XPS 8910.

See Screenshots. Screenshot with Recent highlighted shows my current default location as Recent. OneDrive should be highlighted.

Also, I reinstalled Microsoft Office.

Jerry

Jerry

Jerry8A, Oct 31, 2018
Thema:

1. Adding "Recent" to file save location suggestions - Similar Threads - Adding Recent file

2. Help with Adding a New Save Location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help with Adding a New Save Location: I have an external device that I save all my Steam games to. I'm trying to set it up so that my PC Xbox games are saved to that same external drive. I know to go to this screen in my Xbox app, but the screenshot below says that "this location is not set up for installing...
  3. Help with Adding a New Save Location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help with Adding a New Save Location: I have an external device that I save all my Steam games to. I'm trying to set it up so that my PC Xbox games are saved to that same external drive. I know to go to this screen in my Xbox app, but the screenshot below says that "this location is not set up for installing...
  4. Saved File location not remembered

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Saved File location not remembered: I'm having a weird issue with windows 10, where software doesn't remember where the file is on open files.Eg I have two separate documents open, hit save on one and it saves into the same folder as the other file that is open. So you can imagine I have documents been saved...
  5. Saved File location not remembered

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Saved File location not remembered: I'm having a weird issue with windows 10, where software doesn't remember where the file is on open files.Eg I have two separate documents open, hit save on one and it saves into the same folder as the other file that is open. So you can imagine I have documents been saved...
  6. saving in a file location not allowed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    saving in a file location not allowed: I am trying to use a program called ccomp, its a stand alone efi program I use to tune efi vehicles, my old laptop crashed, got his new one and installed the program, went well, but when I go to save a file in the program it says please contact sytem admin due to I do have...
  7. Recent Files/Locations in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Recent Files/Locations in File Explorer: Hi guys, I am not sure who made the decision at Microsoft to remove the recent file/locations from file explorer in Windows 10 but it was a terrible idea. I have searched how to apply this but I can't seem to get it to work, including the link below. I work for a large...
  8. Saving file location defaults

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Saving file location defaults: So specifically with PDF files. When I do a "save as" or sign with a digital signature, it brings up the explorer window. The explorer window opens to the file location of the last file I saved a PDF in. I would like explorer to default the the folder the file I am working...
  9. Locating saved files

in Windows 10 Support
    Locating saved files: Windows 10 seems to have a mind of its own when I save files. I use "Save as"the first time and expect it to continue saving to the same location that I specified initially. But no, click on "Save" and it saves it in any one of a number of places so I end up with several...
  10. Disable file explorer saving recent folder locations

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable file explorer saving recent folder locations: Hi guys, In File Explorer, how do you disable it from automatically saving recent locations in the dropdown? (NOT the search bar) For instance, I am typing %SCRIPTS% into the folder URL bar and its taking me to the folder location, but it saves the directory as a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. recent options for locations to save/search for a file