Windows 10: Adding Start Menu items to existing user profiles

Discus and support Adding Start Menu items to existing user profiles in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Here's my current scenario... I have windows 10 1709 deployed to my organization via MDT. As part of the MDT deployment process I have implemented a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by mrfaber, Aug 2, 2018.

1. mrfaber Win User

Adding Start Menu items to existing user profiles

Here's my current scenario...

I have windows 10 1709 deployed to my organization via MDT. As part of the MDT deployment process I have implemented a specific start menu using the Import-StartLayout method in my task sequence. This has worked great and all my shortcuts appear on the start menu for each user who logs on, including the Office 2010 applications... Word, Excel, Outlook....

Now its time to upgrade from Office 2010 to Office 2016. Once I uninstall Office 2010 it removes all the shortcuts from everyone's start menu. When I install office 2016, I need to get the Word, Excel and Outlook shortcuts added back. How can I do this for profiles that are already existing on the computer? Re-running Import-StartLayout with an updated .xml file works fine for new users that log in, but that's not helpful for my existing profiles. Any great ideas?

:)

mrfaber, Aug 2, 2018
  2. dhoshaw Win User

No Fan Control menu item in ATITool 0.26

.27b3 problems with 8800GT 256MB

I tried the .27b3 and encountered some problems.
    • Default profile comes up 0.00 / 0.00
    • App hard locks
    • Still no fan menu
    In the setup menu the following items appear:
    • Overclocking
    • Artifact scanning
    • Temperature monitoring
    • Gamma control
    • Startup
    • 3D-detection
    • Driver tweeks
    • Miscellaneous
    I'm running XP SP2 running NVIDIA 169.21 drivers.

The device details are displayed correctly now.

Regards,

dhoshaw, Aug 2, 2018
  3. User Profiles not uploading at Start

Hi Ernie,

Your computer might have experience a fresh start when the upgrade occurred last December 16, 2017, and the user profiles on it got affected as well. However, let us not jump into any conclusions yet until we isolated your concern. Let's see if we'll be
    able to recover the missing user profile using a command line in command prompt.

• Open CMD as Administrator.
    • Enter this command "net localgroup “Administrators” [Computer Name][Missing User] /add".
    • Once done, restart your computer.

You may also check if you'll see the missing user profile/s in Local User and Groups manager. Here are the steps on how to do so:

• Press the Windows + R on your keyboard, then type in lusrmgr.msc.
    • Click on Users, then check if the missing user profile is on the right pane.

Let us know if the above steps worked.

Carlos Tin, Aug 2, 2018
  4. drangob Win User

Start menu items not updating

I seem to be unable to add any more programs to the listings of my start menu. This means that i cannot easily start some programs due to the fact that they do not exist in the start menu.

The issue arose when I installed Office 2016. Access and Excel seemed to be added to the start menu listings. But the rest of the programs did not show up. The shortcuts were actually present in the start menu folder (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start
    Menu\Programs) but did not show up on the listings.

I then moved the shortcuts around to try and get them to be detected, removing all of the office shortcuts and restoring them to the folder made the Access and Excel entries be removed altogether.

I have since tried many configurations of these shortcuts and editing the start menu listings in other ways but nothing seems to be detected. Anything i remove will be removed but nothing can be added to the start menu listings.

drangob, Aug 2, 2018
Thema:

1. Adding Start Menu items to existing user profiles - Similar Threads - Adding Start Menu

2. Takes Double Click on Start Menu items in Administrator profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Takes Double Click on Start Menu items in Administrator profile: When I use my admin account, I have to double click most start menu items to interact with them, including the 'Switch User' icon menus and the power off/sleep menus.From my standard accounts its the regular one click to initiate from start menu.Any ideas why I have to double...
  3. Takes Double Click on Start Menu items in Administrator profile

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Takes Double Click on Start Menu items in Administrator profile: When I use my admin account, I have to double click most start menu items to interact with them, including the 'Switch User' icon menus and the power off/sleep menus.From my standard accounts its the regular one click to initiate from start menu.Any ideas why I have to double...
  4. Adding items to the New context menu.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Adding items to the New context menu.: I have been trying to get a .php file in the new context menu with no luck. Even without the template file, it still does not work. Does anyone have any idea on how to do this? I have followed several procedures and none of them work. Windows 10 Pro RTM x64 V.2004 165692
  5. Adding items to the New context menu.

in Windows 10 Support
    Adding items to the New context menu.: I have been trying to get a .php file in the new context menu with no luck. Even without the template file, it still does not work. Does anyone have any idea on how to do this? I have followed several procedures and none of them work. Windows 10 Pro RTM x64 V.2004 165692
  6. Adding an item to the new context menu.

Adding an item to the new context menu.: I am looking for a way to add a new item to the new context menu. The item in question is a .php file, with an associated template file. I've been tinkering around with the registry trying to get it to work, but nothing seems to be working. All the old methods no longer...
  7. add items in menu Start

add items in menu Start: Hi to whom it may concern. I know how to insert one icon in Start Menu or in application bar but I don't know to insert VLC media reader icon in the list of Apps at left of Start Menu. Could you tell me how to do it? Thank you and Best Regards, Dario...
  8. Start menu items...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu items...: When I started up, then rechecked the standard News and weather apps. were not working in the START menu. They were working fine yesterday. 110222
  9. Adding recent items to start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Adding recent items to start menu: Hi, Does anyone know where I can find the settings for the Start menu of Windows X? I forgot where it is. I managed to put a link of the download folder in the start menu. Forgot how I did that in the first place. Thanks. 16448
  10. How to get an item added to Most Used on Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get an item added to Most Used on Start Menu: I have opened the Paint program add least 100 times in the past two days. It has never been added to the Most Used area of the Start Menu. What do I need to do to get Paint to show in Most Used on the Start Menu? 14565

Users found this page by searching for:

1. import-startlayout to existing user