Windows 10: Adding user account in Wondows 10 wiped out original!

Discus and support Adding user account in Wondows 10 wiped out original! in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I bought a new laptop in December, and I am running Windows 10 Enterprise, Version 1909 OS Build 18363.657. All updates are in place to current date.... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by LorenHSanders, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Adding user account in Wondows 10 wiped out original!

I bought a new laptop in December, and I am running Windows 10 Enterprise, Version 1909 OS Build 18363.657. All updates are in place to current date.

I attempted to add a user account for my young daughter, as I am very "tight" about what kind of access she has to my computers AND the internet, and setting up what I allow and don't allow her to do, or be able to do.

I followed the instructions for the "normal" way to add a user:

Settings> Family & Other Users>Add someone else to this PC>Don't have persons email or sign-in information, and then followed the rest of the prompts to add an account for her because she does not yet need or have email Sorry, I'm old-school and 11 year olds don't NEED email and such for the most part.

Afterward the machine restarted, AND only her account showed up on the login screen after rebooting. Nothing I did brought up ANY option to switch users/accounts in any way at all, and it did not recognize/accept the password I had entered for her account either. I could NOT switch to my main administrators account, and could not even log in as her.

Eventually, after much frustration, I ended up rebooting into repair mode and then rolled the system back to my last save point before I made these changes. Thankfully, THAT went well, and I regained proper access to my system.

However, I am left without a user account for my daughter that I need to add, BUT, I have no idea how to go about it, without just recreating the same issue all over again.

Can someone please lead me through how I can add a user account for my child who does NOT have a Microsoft email/profile, that allows me to limit her activities on the machine, and does this without wiping out, or somehow burying my own access?

Thank you very much!

:)

LorenHSanders, Feb 27, 2020
  2. Zakin Win User

Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown Adding user account in Wondows 10 wiped out original! :(

Zakin, Feb 27, 2020
  3. adding user accounts for children

Hi Kurt,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We are glad to help you.

I would suggest you to try following methods and check if it helps.

I suggest you to follow the steps how to create the child account as below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key and select
      setting
      s.
    • Click on Account and select
      Family and other users
    • Then click add someone else to this pc and
      select add child’s account.
    • Enter the child’s email address and click on Next.
    • Then click on finish.

Hope this information helps. Do contact us for further queries. We will be happy to assist.

Regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, Feb 27, 2020
  4. Adding user account in Wondows 10 wiped out original!

Windows 10 New User Accounts

• Which is the new user account type you have created and facing these issue?
    Built in Administrator account

Local Account

MS Account

2. Have you made any changes on these accounts after creating them?

Not initially. Tried rebooting, removing and readding after a reboot. Tried adding via CLI and GUI interfaces

After that I tried one of the suggestions and tried coping a good account over the newly created account. That did not work

3. Does this issue persists on any specific user account?

No it persists on all newly created accounts do not work

4. What are the troubleshooting steps you have created in resolving the issue?

Just the ones mentioned in Step 2

5. Do let us know if you have any user account with no issues on your computer?

only the initial account that was created when I upgraded to windows 10

Robert Cantrell, Feb 27, 2020
Thema:

Adding user account in Wondows 10 wiped out original!

1. Adding user account in Wondows 10 wiped out original! - Similar Threads - Adding user account

2. User keeps getting locked out from her AD account

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    User keeps getting locked out from her AD account: HelloI'm working at an IT helpdesk where I currently have one user that keeps having her AD account locked constantly.I did the following troubleshooting: - unlocked users account from AD- remoted in to her pc via quick assist- cleared the credentials manager- Reset her...
  3. Adding windows user accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adding windows user accounts: Hi, I just want to ask if its possible to add a user account to another device? so for example is it possible to add a Windows account to device A from device B?...
  4. Adding windows user accounts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adding windows user accounts: Hi, I just want to ask if its possible to add a user account to another device? so for example is it possible to add a Windows account to device A from device B?...
  5. Adding windows user accounts

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Adding windows user accounts: Hi, I just want to ask if its possible to add a user account to another device? so for example is it possible to add an account to device A from device B? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/adding-windows-user-accounts/228cb889-494c-4828-981e-fb1fce5796f2
  6. Wipe out

Wipe out: W10 forced PIN selection to open my laptop this morning 3/21/2020 after functioning okay Humm cannot reach page was still happening, of course. Blue screen with old lit Window image appears with tray icons verticle on screen instead if in tray. Serms old style?! ALL my...
  7. wipe out

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    wipe out: I got my laptop used and it runs real slow. I want to just wipe it clean, remove everything on it and start fresh. what I don't know is if I will lose the windows too? will I have to reinstall it myself or will it automatically have it on there? it has windows 10 but tells...
  8. User profile wiped out. Reconstructed from scratch, wiped out again.

User profile wiped out. Reconstructed from scratch, wiped out again.: chkdsk /r run, finding no corrupt sectors on hard disk. ------------------------------- CMD Run as Administrator: "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth" Result C:\WINDOWS\system32> C:\WINDOWS\system32>The DISM log file can be found at...
  9. Windows 10 update has wiped out my user account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update has wiped out my user account: Hi, Windows 10 recently executed an update. Upon restart, I was able to login to what I THOUGHT was my user account (kevin.ern). It certainly accepted my password. However, at the desktop I noticed several icons missing. My chrome browser bookmarks had all disappeared. My...
  10. Added User, original user / profile & settings disappeared

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Added User, original user / profile & settings disappeared: Upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 some months ago. Original profile did not require password to log in, and was not associated with a Google email or Microsoft account that I know of. I added a user a couple of days ago (added a personal account of mine with my own...