Windows 10: Adding Windows Boot Menu Via Macrium Rescue Media Builder

Discus and support Adding Windows Boot Menu Via Macrium Rescue Media Builder in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I'm familiar with what selecting this option does in BIOS Firmware but I wondering what it does on a UEFI Firmware PC. Does it actually add another... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by SoFine409, Jul 17, 2020.

1. SoFine409 Win User

Adding Windows Boot Menu Via Macrium Rescue Media Builder

I'm familiar with what selecting this option does in BIOS Firmware but I wondering what it does on a UEFI Firmware PC. Does it actually add another boot item that's accessible from the boot section of the firmware? I find this option handy in the BIOS Firmware world but I'm wondering if it works the same way in the UEFI world. I'd rather not make any changes that I can't easily undo since I have my UEFI training wheel on at this point.

:)

SoFine409, Jul 17, 2020
  2. Kari Win User

Use Macrium Reflect Rescue Media to Fix Windows Boot Issues  

A really good question deserving a bit more in-depth answer. A short answer is it makes restoring boot menu on a dual / multi boot system a piece of cake, one simple command to restore it as it was instead of manually adding / changing everything.

Let's use my actual boot menu as an example:

Adding Windows Boot Menu Via Macrium Rescue Media Builder [​IMG]

The easy way to restore my boot menu when I have been forced to reset boot records with Macrium Reflect is to restore a boot menu backup as told in tutorial (Part 1. to export / backup boot menu, Part 3. to restore it). One command to restore it fully:

In Command Prompt:

bcdedit /import X:\BootMenuBackup

Or in PowerShell:

cmd /c 'bcdedit /import X:\BootMenuBackup'

If I hadn't exported boot menu, I had to restore it manually:

(Click screenshot to enlarge.)

1. Add Windows 10 Education on physical drive W: to boot menu
    2. Change its name (as shown in boot menu) to W10 EDU
    3. Add Windows 10 PRO on a mounted virtual hard disk file (drive I: when mounted) to boot menu
    4. Change its name to W10 PRO (VHD)
    5. Change current OS boot menu entry name to W10 PRO (Hyper-V)
    6. Copy the current OS boot menu entry to new entry W10 PRO (VMware)
    7. Disable hypervisor in the copied new entry to allow running VMware on same machine and installation already running Hyper-V
    8. Make current OS (my main OS, W10 PRO with hypervisor) default entry in boot menu, the one booted if user selects no OS within given time (by default 30 seconds)
    9. Set boot menu display order. To do that I open another PowerShell / Command Prompt to list all boot menu entries with simple bcdedit command to get and copy identifiers of all added operating systems. Last OS added is by default always {default}, current OS you are using is {current}, all other entries are identified with their hexadecimal GUID
    Not shown in screenshot: between steps 8. and 9. I launched Macrium Reflect to add Macrium Rescue environment as fifth entry to boot menu.

Notice that in steps 2. and 4. I used the same identifier {default} for two different operating systems when changing entry name. This is possible because by default the last OS added to boot menu gets identifier {default}; adding W:\Windows in step 1. made it default, then adding I:\Windows in step 3. made it default.

Exporting boot menu when it is as you prefer, then importing it with one command when need arises is much faster and easier.

I hope the above answers your question.

3. f14tomcat Win User
    Use Macrium Reflect Rescue Media to Fix Windows Boot Issues  

Thanks, @Kari! Yes, it does, and very nicely laid out. For me, would save the hassle of the renaming of the OS names. Otherwise, you need a cheat sheet to know what "Windows 10 (on partition 6)" means. Adding Windows Boot Menu Via Macrium Rescue Media Builder :)

Slightly OT....how did you get such a nice pic of your Boot Manager screen without a camera?

my ugly one:

f14tomcat, Jul 17, 2020
  4. Jerry8AB Win User

Macrium Boot Question

Macrium Boot Question

I use Windows 10 and a Macrium recovery program. My BIOS is set where the optical disk for CDs and DVDs are not set to recognize a CD/DVD disc as the first priority to boot from.

What are the steps I should take to make my Macrium Rescue Disk as being first to boot from?

Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry8AB, Jul 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Adding Windows Boot Menu Via Macrium Rescue Media Builder - Similar Threads - Adding Boot Menu

2. Macrium rescue media

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium rescue media: Hows everybody? I solved this in the past and cant recall exactly how I did it. The macrium rescue media tool cant detect the correct drivers for a usb 3.0 device. And this is win 7 era hardware. It says that winRE has built in support. Not. I had to install the drivers for...
  3. Need help to create Macrium Rescue Media Builder

Need help to create Macrium Rescue Media Builder: Hello, Windows Home 10 v2004 x64 Macrium Reflect v7.2.5107 Home - 5th August 2020 Last time I make a Macrium Reflect Rescue Media was in September 2007, and I think the GUI has change a little or I do not remember How I did it *Sad I do not want Macrium download anything...
  4. Adding drivers to Macrium Reflect Rescue Media

Adding drivers to Macrium Reflect Rescue Media: I am trying to add drivers to my rescue media for compatibility reasons. Specifically I wish to add some Intel RAID drivers as some of our devices require such a driver. I assumed copying the driver files to the "C:\boot\macrium\drivers\Disk" would allow the creation process...
  5. macrium rescue media

macrium rescue media: hi, I have installed a new external HDD for my backup image. Do I have to create a new rescue media? 113539
  6. Macrium Reflect /rescue media

Macrium Reflect /rescue media: Hi, Do I have to create a new rescue media (USB) for every Windows 10 machines I have, or is the first I created valid for all the others? 112784
  7. Macrium Reflect Rescue Media

Macrium Reflect Rescue Media: Hi, I recently created a rescue media as I wanted to backup Windows 10 Fall creators update. After creating the rescue media to pen drive i backed up the partion of windows drive. What I noticed later that all my internal drives are now are removable or ejectable....
  8. Macrium Reflect Rescue Media

Macrium Reflect Rescue Media: Hi i have a desktop PC with Windows 10 home. i have created the Macrium Reflect rescue media on USB. ( I have used it to restore images and works fine ). i have a Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 Pro, i have created an image of the disc using Macrium Reflect and saved it...
  9. Macrium: Rescue Media

Macrium: Rescue Media: Having turned to Macrium for daily backups, I have created a Rescue Media DVD. When testing to see if it would boot (as Macrium advise). I was unable to choose which of the options offered was correct. Attached is a clip of my boot menu with the DVD in its tray. Oddly, the...
  10. Can't Boot to Macrium Reflect Rescue Media

Can't Boot to Macrium Reflect Rescue Media: I installed Macrium Reflect so that I could create rescue media and disk images. My computer will not boot from the rescue media that I created. The creation seemed to go fine, all the appropriate files seem to be there. The rescue USB shows up in my bios boot list third...