Windows 10: Additional DNS suffixes not checked if there's a dot in the partial domain name

Discus and support Additional DNS suffixes not checked if there's a dot in the partial domain name in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows has always had the "Append these DNS suffixes" list in network adapter (IPv4) properties. However, there's a difference in behavior between... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by lucvdv, Dec 12, 2018.

1. lucvdv Win User

Additional DNS suffixes not checked if there's a dot in the partial domain name

Windows has always had the "Append these DNS suffixes" list in network adapter (IPv4) properties.

However, there's a difference in behavior between nslookup.exe and windows itself.

I wish I could find a workaround for this...

I have a forest of domains, names masked for security, length kept approximately intact.

External domain, registered, used for e-mail etc.: aaaaaaaaa.net

Internal top level AD domain: bbb.aaaaaaaaa.net.

(Having bbb there allows for split DNS, base domain forwarded to external server, only bbb and subdomains DNS-hosted internally in AD.)

Child domains: ccccccc.bbb.aaaaaaaaa.net, dddddddd.bbb.aaaaaaaaa.net, etc.

A server name may look like, for example, ccccccc-serv3.ccccccc.bbb.aaaaaaaaa.net

To avoid a lot of typing, I decided to try and add "bbb.aaaaaaaaa.net" to the DNS suffix list, but it turns out to be useless.

It works in nslookup.exe:

nslookup ccccccc-serv3.ccccccc

Server: zzzzzzzz.bbb.aaaaaaaaa.net

Address: 10.250.9.1

Non-authoritative answer:

Name: ccccccc-serv3.ccccccc.bbb.aaaaaaaaa.net

Address: 10.13.1.9

But that's the only place where it works, if there is a period in the name being looked up.

ping ccccccc-serv3.ccccccc

Ping request could not find host ccccccc-serv3.ccccccc. Please check the name and try again.

Same when trying to connect to a share, trying to connect with RDP, etc.

Why can't Windows' built in network support treat this the way nslookup does?

:)

lucvdv, Dec 12, 2018
  2. Gino Des Win User

windows10 dns resolution name problem - hostname.other not add the suffix dns

Hello Roberto,

Make sure that the Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes
    option is enabled in the Advanced TCP/IP Settings window of your network adapter. This option specifies that resolution for unqualified names that are used on your computer is limited to the domain suffixes of the primary suffix and all connection-specific
    suffixes. For more information, you may refer to the following link:
    Configure a Connection-Specific DNS Name
    . (Note: These steps are also applicable for Windows 10 machines.)

You might also be experiencing this issue because of DNS Devolution. This is applicable to computers that are in an Active Directory environment. For more information, you may refer to the following link:

DNS Devolution

For more advanced troubleshooting, we recommend that you also post this concern in the

Windows 10 IT Pro section of the Microsoft TechNet forums
    . TechNet Forums is a community for IT professionals and advanced users.

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to post a reply.

If you think this was helpful, do not hesitate to "mark it as answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Gino Des, Dec 12, 2018
  3. windows10 dns resolution name problem - hostname.other not add the suffix dns

Hi ,

I have windows10 clinent and if I open a cmd and type :

ping examplehostname

the dns function correctly , paste the suffix and resolve the nome to ip address.

The problem I have when I try to ping examplehostname.pub . In this case on windows 10 not paste the suffix dns but in windows7 function correctly add the suffix. If I type ping examplehostname.pub.my.domain.xxthe
    dns resolve the name .

Please there is a anyone that can help me, please!

thanks a lot

Roberto

Roberto77r6, Dec 12, 2018
  4. Jon.ET Win User

After updating to the Windows 10 April 2018 build (1803) the DNS Suffix Search List behavior seems to have changed

After being updated to the Windows 10 April 2018 build (1803) the DNS Suffix Search List behavior seems to have changed and is no longer a combination of my Primary DNS Suffix (my Windows domain name) followed by my Connection-specific DNS Suffix (previous
    default Windows behavior).

This appears to be related to Windows 10 April 2018 build (1803) change in honoring DHCP option 119. All previous versions of the Windows DHCP client ignored option 119 but it now appears build 1803 honors this setting.

Can anyone confirm?

Jon.ET, Dec 12, 2018
Thema:

1. Additional DNS suffixes not checked if there's a dot in the partial domain name - Similar Threads - Additional DNS suffixes

2. how to remove primary dns suffix

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to remove primary dns suffix: what is primary dns suffix how do i reset it, i recently connected my computer to my college LAN network and now my primary dns sufficx has the name of my institue even if i remove the LAN ,how can i completely eradicate that name frrom my pc...
  3. how to remove primary dns suffix

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to remove primary dns suffix: what is primary dns suffix how do i reset it, i recently connected my computer to my college LAN network and now my primary dns sufficx has the name of my institue even if i remove the LAN ,how can i completely eradicate that name frrom my pc...
  4. "Couldn't be delivered. The Domain Name System DNS reported that the recipient's domain...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Couldn't be delivered. The Domain Name System DNS reported that the recipient's domain...: My domain is not available what should I do I was about to withdraw payment from a website but it gave me a message that my domain is not available* Moved from Community Center** Original title: couldn't be delivered. The Domain Name System DNS reported that the recipient's...
  5. "Couldn't be delivered. The Domain Name System DNS reported that the recipient's domain...

"Couldn't be delivered. The Domain Name System DNS reported that the recipient's domain...: My domain is not available what should I do I was about to withdraw payment from a website but it gave me a message that my domain is not available* Moved from Community Center** Original title: couldn't be delivered. The Domain Name System DNS reported that the recipient's...
  6. CNAME with different domain name on Windows DNS server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CNAME with different domain name on Windows DNS server: Hi there,Hope there is someone can help me on this case. I am facing a problem when create a CNAME in forward zone on our internal DNS.Our primary domain is abc.com and have a developing domain abc-dev.com. Both domain are existing in external DNS server, but abc.com only...
  7. CNAME with different domain name on Windows DNS server

CNAME with different domain name on Windows DNS server: Hi there,Hope there is someone can help me on this case. I am facing a problem when create a CNAME in forward zone on our internal DNS.Our primary domain is abc.com and have a developing domain abc-dev.com. Both domain are existing in external DNS server, but abc.com only...
  8. DNS Suffix for Comcast Keeps Reappearing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DNS Suffix for Comcast Keeps Reappearing: Hi there, our VPN pushes two DNS suffixes when folks connect to the company network. I've got a few users who have an additional DNS suffix of hsd1.dc.comcast.net The issue is that additional suffix causes disconnect issues when on VPN. I've tried several things...
  9. DNS Suffix Search List

DNS Suffix Search List: Was poking around this AM to see if my DNS server selection could be improved or if it was ok. After Running Gibson's DNSBench.exe several times, convinced me I was already on the "best" one (openDNS). When I did an IPconfig /all, I am looking at something that has puzzled...
  10. How to enable "use this connection's DNS suffix in DNS registration"

How to enable "use this connection's DNS suffix in DNS registration": Dear, My company have lot of PC in many location, we want apply 1 setting in Windows, By default it is not enabled / not tick [img] In the Group Policy window please navigate to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Network -> DNS Client and open...