Windows 10: Additional keyboard input method automatically added -- can't be removed!

Discus and support Additional keyboard input method automatically added -- can't be removed! in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am running Windows 10 Pro 1909, OS build 18363.657. I am primarily using 2 languages when I type on my computer, one of which English. Despite... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Zefir Zdravkov, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Additional keyboard input method automatically added -- can't be removed!

I am running Windows 10 Pro 1909, OS build 18363.657.

I am primarily using 2 languages when I type on my computer, one of which English. Despite living in the UK, I don't like the English UK layout of the special characters e.g. the @ and " are swapped and I never use this input method. I am used to the US keyboard.

Now here is the problem!

Windows adds a 3rd keyboard to my list and that is "English UK"! And this keyboard does not appear in my "preferred languages" tab and I have no way topermanently remove it! I can delete this keyboard temporarily following these steps:

1. Go to "preferred languages"
    2. Scroll all the way and find "English UK"
    3. Add it
    4. Remove it

Great, but don't start feeling happy just yet, for you will feel much more dissatisfied when after some time you notice you're typing @ instead of " and find out that the British keyboard is invading your computer again.

I do suspect where the problem comes from!

When installing Windows, I set up my region, language etc. to "UK" and that is the way I'd like the UI to be. That is the only time I have mentioned the UK to my PC so I highly doubt it figured it out itself and decided I'd need that keyboard.

But then I assumed it might have used some GPS or IP-location data and see that I am in the UK. So I went ahead and disabled GPS info being sent to apps it is somewhere in the settings. Nope, thatdid not work! Then I said, "sure, forget all about the UK then!" and changed all region, language etc. settings from "UK" to "US". Thatdid also not work!

How does Windows decide to keep adding this keyboard?? Then I turned my VPN on, selected "US" and having all my region settings set to "US" I removed it again. I kept the VPN up until I again noticed the "£" symbol on my "#"!

How do I get rid of this keyboard?

And yes, it is super annoying to switch between3 keyboards 2 of which 80% identical and hard to tell apart when typing! when using Shift + Alt.

:)

Zefir Zdravkov, Feb 18, 2020

2. Windows keeps automatically adding EN-US keyboard layout

That doesnt work anymore, language isnt in control panel

can i get new instructions?

Phoenixcraft, Feb 18, 2020
  3. Input Methods on AT&T Tilt

I have tried to change the input method on my AT&T Tilt. All the options are there, ie: Block Recognizer, Keyboard, Letter Recognizer, Symbol Pad, and Transcriber. When I attempt to change from Keyboard to another method with the drop down menu, I tap OK
    and then check again and it is back to Keyboard. Also, if I tap on Transcriber and then the Options button, a dialog box opens that says "Can't open the configuration dialog. Transcriber Options are available only when Transcriber
    is selected as the active input method". Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.

Tralfamadore, Feb 18, 2020
  4. EdTittel Win User

Additional keyboard input method automatically added -- can't be removed!

Adding Chinese Keyboard Input Method by Group Policy

Curiously enough, something related appears at the top of the list of Known Issues for Windows 10 1909:

Additional keyboard input method automatically added -- can't be removed! [​IMG]

It may just be a temporary problem until MS gets this fixed. I've seen similar problems with previous feature upgrades and the IME installer for various ideographic languages or related "character" sets.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 18, 2020
Thema:

Additional keyboard input method automatically added -- can't be removed!

1. Additional keyboard input method automatically added -- can't be removed! - Similar Threads - Additional keyboard input

2. I can't remove additional keyboard layouts from the switch input method menu on the taskbar.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't remove additional keyboard layouts from the switch input method menu on the taskbar.: Actually, I want to get rid of the menu from the taskbar itself and apparently the only way to do so is to have only one keyboard layout installed on my PC.P.S. I can't upload an image of it for some reason here. The upload failed even after trying multiple tries after...
  3. I can't remove additional keyboard layouts from the switch input method menu on the taskbar.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't remove additional keyboard layouts from the switch input method menu on the taskbar.: Actually, I want to get rid of the menu from the taskbar itself and apparently the only way to do so is to have only one keyboard layout installed on my PC.P.S. I can't upload an image of it for some reason here. The upload failed even after trying multiple tries after...
  4. How to get rid of additional input methods keyboard layouts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get rid of additional input methods keyboard layouts: Hello,I have several keyboard layouts between which I can switch with WindowsKey + space-bar.They show up as well in the notification area of the taskbar.I do not need them; I have only one keyboard with only one layout, and even if I may type in another language at times, I...
  5. How to get rid of additional input methods keyboard layouts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to get rid of additional input methods keyboard layouts: Hello,I have several keyboard layouts between which I can switch with WindowsKey + space-bar.They show up as well in the notification area of the taskbar.I do not need them; I have only one keyboard with only one layout, and even if I may type in another language at times, I...
  6. Can't remove additional input method

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't remove additional input method: I only have two languages in Settings but three input methods are displayed in the right-bottom language bar, with an additional English Singapore.Have tried to remove the extra input method by installing English Singapore in Settings and then delete it. I succeed every time...
  7. Adding additional keyboard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Adding additional keyboard: Trying to add a Russian keyboard to my PC. Have done the bog standard basics but the PC asks me to input a PIN and I don't have a PIN. Googled this and advice was to try 0000 or 1234. No luck. It is saying it does not recognise the device. Any ideas? Thanks...
  8. The Afiikaans keyboard layout is automatically adding to the input methods

in Windows 10 Customization
    The Afiikaans keyboard layout is automatically adding to the input methods: I noticed that the AFR keyboard layout added to my input methods here: [ATTACH] While in the Language preferences it isn't in the list of my languages: [ATTACH] I've deleted this language from the registry several times: [ATTACH] but it keeps adding every time I reboot...
  9. Adding Chinese Keyboard Input Method by Group Policy

in Windows 10 Support
    Adding Chinese Keyboard Input Method by Group Policy: Hi, As part of a recent rollout of Windows 10 computers for my client I was asked to include additional keyboards. I did this through group policy user preferences registry keys by adding a new key for each keyboard identifier; for example, 0000040c for French AZERTY...
  10. New keyboard input method randomly added

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    New keyboard input method randomly added: Hello, for many many years I use two keyboard layouts on all my PC's. CES - Czech Qertz layout for texts in Czech language, and ENG - Czech keyboard layout for programmers for writing code. I routinely switch between these two by Alt+Right SHIFT. Now in random intervals...