Windows 10: Adjust desktop position

Discus and support Adjust desktop position in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I clean installed Windows 10 for the first time in March 2021. I'm using a 10 years old motherboard with Windows 10 Pro 20H2 32-bit. I was previously... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by morat, May 4, 2021.

1. morat Win User

Adjust desktop position

I clean installed Windows 10 for the first time in March 2021. I'm using a 10 years old motherboard with Windows 10 Pro 20H2 32-bit. I was previously on Windows 7 Pro SP1 32-bit. The start menu and taskbar looks correct, but the x-axis coordinates are off. I tested the Chrome window with the AutoHotkey AU3_Spy.exe Active Window Info utility. If I resize the Chrome window vertically to the top most position, then the active window position top value is 0. If I resize the Chrome window horizontally to the left most position, then the active window position left value is -6, not 0. How do I adjust the x-axis coordinates? I tried... Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > NVIDIA Control Panel > Display > Adjust desktop size and position There is no "Position" tab like in the following article. How to fix computer screen shifted to the right How to fix computer screen shifted to the right [Windows 10] The monitor user guide says that position adjustments are only available for VGA input. I'm using DVI input. My specs... * ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard (ordered in Aug 2010) * AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz Dual-Core Desktop Processor (ordered in Aug 2010) * EVGA 01G-P3-1313-KR GeForce 210 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card (ordered in Dec 2012) * Dell UltraSharp U2412M Monitor (ordered in Nov 2016) * G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3-10666) Desktop Memory (ordered in Oct 2019) * Samsung 860 EVO Series 250 GB SATA III 2.5" Internal SSD (ordered in Mar 2021)

:)

morat, May 4, 2021
  2. morat Win User

Adjust desktop position

I clean installed Windows 10 for the first time in March 2021. I'm using a 10 years old motherboard with Windows 10 Pro 20H2 32-bit. I was previously on Windows 7 Pro SP1 32-bit.

The start menu and taskbar looks correct, but the x-axis coordinates are off.

Adjust desktop position [​IMG]

I tested the Chrome window with the AutoHotkey AU3_Spy.exe Active Window Info utility. If I resize the Chrome window vertically to the top most position, then the active window position top value is 0. If I resize the Chrome window horizontally to the left most position, then the active window position left value is -6, not 0.

How do I adjust the x-axis coordinates?

I tried...

Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > NVIDIA Control Panel > Display > Adjust desktop size and position

There is no "Position" tab like in the following article.

How to fix computer screen shifted to the right
    How to fix computer screen shifted to the right [Windows 10]

The monitor user guide says that position adjustments are only available for VGA input. I'm using DVI input.

My specs...

* ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard (ordered in Aug 2010)
    * AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz Dual-Core Desktop Processor (ordered in Aug 2010)
    * EVGA 01G-P3-1313-KR GeForce 210 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card (ordered in Dec 2012)
    * Dell UltraSharp U2412M Monitor (ordered in Nov 2016)
    * G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3-10666) Desktop Memory (ordered in Oct 2019)
    * Samsung 860 EVO Series 250 GB SATA III 2.5" Internal SSD (ordered in Mar 2021)

morat, May 5, 2021
  3. Berton Win User
    Adjust desktop position

What I see in your image is the Command Prompt app is set at Maximized or Full Screen [Yes, those are different], the Start menu is active and the settings panel shows for only the Command Prompt app, not for the Desktop itself. Mine:

Adjust desktop position [​IMG]

Berton, May 5, 2021
  4. Argel Obm Win User

Adjust desktop position

How to prevent desktop icons from changing positions

Hi Stephen,

There are various reasons why you're experiencing the issue. Let us isolate your concern by enabling the
    Auto arrange icons option, and then disabling it to see if the issue will persist. To do this follow these steps:

• Go to the Desktop screen, and then right click anywhere.
    • Hover your mouse on View.
    • Select Auto arrange icons.
    • Restart the computer.
    • After restarting the computer, check if your Desktop icons are still in the right position after clicking the
      Auto arrange icons option.
    • If your Desktop icons are in the right position, repeat steps 1-3 to disable the
      Auto arrange icons option.
    • Customize the position of your Desktop icons.
    • Restart the computer.
    • After restarting the computer, check if the issue will occur.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Argel Obm, May 5, 2021
Thema:

Adjust desktop position

1. Adjust desktop position - Similar Threads - Adjust desktop position

2. My desktop shotrcuts lose their position

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My desktop shotrcuts lose their position: My desktop shotrcuts lose their position after i use some programs or when my pc goes to sleep mode and then I turn it on again. I'm usig 125% upscaling for my display parameters. To restore their originalmy own position i got to go to display parameters and switch scale to...
  3. Desktop icon position fix

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icon position fix: Hello to everyone,I am using Windows 11 Pro version 22H2.My desktop icons often get messed up when I'm operating on my computer.For example, when I copy and paste a file on the desktop, the new file is added to the top left corner. Sometimes I get confused in finding my new...
  4. Desktop icon position fix

Desktop icon position fix: Hello to everyone,I am using Windows 11 Pro version 22H2.My desktop icons often get messed up when I'm operating on my computer.For example, when I copy and paste a file on the desktop, the new file is added to the top left corner. Sometimes I get confused in finding my new...
  5. Adjusting multiple monitor positions when DPI is different

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adjusting multiple monitor positions when DPI is different: Windows 11 assumes all monitors have the same DPI, so if I try to line up a 1600x1200 monitor with a 1920x1080 monitor side by side, but the 1080 one is physically larger, things don't match up when I move the mouse cursor across. Is there any way to tell Windows the DPI is...
  6. Adjusting multiple monitor positions when DPI is different

Adjusting multiple monitor positions when DPI is different: Windows 11 assumes all monitors have the same DPI, so if I try to line up a 1600x1200 monitor with a 1920x1080 monitor side by side, but the 1080 one is physically larger, things don't match up when I move the mouse cursor across. Is there any way to tell Windows the DPI is...
  7. Desktop Icons changing position

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icons changing position: Running WIN10 home Every so often my desktop flashes and some of my icons have changed position. Can anyone explain t his and how I can stop it? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-changing-position/934e8501-fdfb-46d0-998d-3b15d4dc677a
  8. Desktop icon positions

Desktop icon positions: Currently my desktop icons are on a fixed grid. I would like to change them back to a custom grid where I can control their position relative to each other. How do I get rid of the fixed grid?...
  9. After fresh boot I can't adjust desktop size and position

After fresh boot I can't adjust desktop size and position: So my PC was getting slow and I wanted to clean it little bit...So I did and my monitor used to be 75HZ but after formatting my PC I can't put it on 75hz 1.I can't put my Monitor on 75hz 2.I can't apply the following settings. 3.Really need it for competitive matchmaking....
  10. Lock desktop icons positions?

Lock desktop icons positions?: I occasionally move the mouse pointer across the desktop and inadvertently drag icons to new positions. Is there a command or a feature that locks the desktop icons in place and can snap them back into position when this occurs? 86732