Windows 10: Adjusting headphone volume

Discus and support Adjusting headphone volume in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I hope this is the correct forum...for the first time I used headphones in Windows 10 Pro, and I found the normal Fn-F6 and Fn-F7 that adjust speaker... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by awalt, Sep 28, 2015.

1. awalt Win User

Adjusting headphone volume

I hope this is the correct forum...for the first time I used headphones in Windows 10 Pro, and I found the normal Fn-F6 and Fn-F7 that adjust speaker volume do not work to adjust headphone volume - nor does the slider in the task tray. I can go into Control Panel and find the speakers and adjust them, and they are set as default. But it seems to me that in past versions (I came from Windows 7) when headphones were plugged in, the audio slider in task bar adjusted them - when headphones were not plugged in, it adjusted speaker volume.

Do I have to go into Control Panel every time I want to tweak headphone volume? What am I missing?

:)

awalt, Sep 28, 2015
  2. garym123 Win User

Win phone 8.1 Gadgets for devices - How to adjust ring, and audio volumes independently

The phone has four volumes to control. short description:

ring

media

headphone

Bluetooth

When using Bluetooth, headphones or playing media over the phone speakers the volume keys control volume of what is attached or in use.

Ring volume is not available to adjust from the down arrow tap on Bluetooth or headphones, just ringer off or on.

If you want to adjust ringer volume to listen to music make that adjustment before you plug in the headphones.

garym123, Sep 28, 2015
  3. Nokia Lumia 925 stopping volume button working when locked

Whatever the case, it's ****!

Meet the iPhone (not a fan, but cannot deny it works!)

black screen (locked) - cannot adjust volume

press unlock button (phone still locked) - volume cannot be adjusted

unlock device - volume can be adjusted

Whilst listening to music

black screen - volume can be adjusted press

unlock button ( phone still locked) - volume can be adjusted

unlock phone - volume can be adjusted.

I believe its down to volume being separate for headphones\ringer

Lumia is all one volume setting

FYI music volume can be adjusted at black lock screen.

Lumia - if ringer and headphone volume was separated, they should lock ringer volume from being adjusted until the phone is unlocked. Headphones remain adjustable at all levels of lock\unlock.

I was hoping to move to Windows Phone but its been a huge disaster for me,

no back\fwd buttons on browser,

flaky sync with Exchange mailboxes,

sub folders for contacts don't sync,

dismissing appointments do not get removed on desktop

no shared calendars,

basic 'notes' feature of outlook\exchange are not synced!!!! etc etc

Fix PLEASE Nokia\MS!

VinnyVaghani, Sep 28, 2015
  4. Dude Win User

Try settings your headphones as the default device, it should work then.

5. awalt Win User
    That fixed it, thank you Dude!

awalt, Sep 28, 2015
  6. Dude Win User
    You're welcome, glad it worked.

7. Almighty1 Win User
    How does one set their headphone as the default device?

Almighty1, Sep 29, 2015
  8. awalt Win User

What I did was when the headphones were plugged in, go to Control Panel/Sound/Recording tab and right click on your headphones entry, I saw an entry to set them as default.

awalt, Sep 29, 2015
  9. Almighty1 Win User
    Mines only has Microphone under Recording and Speakers under Playback. This is using RealTek HD Audio sound, it does change from Virtual Surround to Headphone Virtualization Surround depending if the headphones are plugged/unplugged.

Almighty1, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Adjusting headphone volume - Similar Threads - Adjusting headphone volume

2. volume adjustment malfunction

in Windows 10 Gaming
    volume adjustment malfunction: My computer's volume adjustment malfunctionAfter a update at end of ferburay my volume adjustment malfuntion, no matter how i move it the sound is fixed.windows 11 homeversion 21h2 22000.527realtek sound alc 887MSI GTX 1660 superI tried: switch Windows Audio and Windows Audio...
  3. volume adjustment malfunction

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    volume adjustment malfunction: My computer's volume adjustment malfunctionAfter a update at end of ferburay my volume adjustment malfuntion, no matter how i move it the sound is fixed.windows 11 homeversion 21h2 22000.527realtek sound alc 887MSI GTX 1660 superI tried: switch Windows Audio and Windows Audio...
  4. Keep beeping when adjust/change volume for bluetooth headphone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keep beeping when adjust/change volume for bluetooth headphone: Sound control panel > Program Events > Default Beep > Sounds: Noneconnect bluetooth headphoneadjust volume, no beepplay musicWhen adjusting the volume, it keeps bepping.Other than "Default Beep", any idea?...
  5. Keep beeping when adjust/change volume for bluetooth headphone

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keep beeping when adjust/change volume for bluetooth headphone: Sound control panel > Program Events > Default Beep > Sounds: Noneconnect bluetooth headphoneadjust volume, no beepplay musicWhen adjusting the volume, it keeps bepping.Other than "Default Beep", any idea?...
  6. Keep beeping when adjust/change volume for bluetooth headphone

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Headphones go to max volume after trying to adjust

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Headphones go to max volume after trying to adjust: When I connect my bluetooth headphones they will adopt the sound level of what my output was before (in this case the speaker of my monitor) but windows will say the sound level is actually max (for example windows says the headphones are at 100%, but they are actually at...
  8. Can't adjust the volume

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't adjust the volume: Hi, I have a computer with external speakers. My issue is that I can only adjust on those speakers. Adjusting the volume in windows has no effect, it only cut off the sound if I put it at zero. It's really annoying, it's much more easy for me to control the volume directly...
  9. Cannot adjust headphone volume when connected with the audio jack

Cannot adjust headphone volume when connected with the audio jack: When I have a pair of headphones connected to the audio jack with a wire, the volume slider does nothing. I can open it, slide it around, and it will stay at the exact same level unless brought to 0, which upon doing so will mute all sound. The default volume is incredibly...
  10. Volume adjustment

Volume adjustment: Volume adjustment low during video playback https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/volume-adjustment/01b4e1d8-bf79-40f2-8fc5-863b8063706c