Windows 10: Admin Account But No Permissions To Access Files. Why?

Discus and support Admin Account But No Permissions To Access Files. Why? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I am logged onto win10 with an administrator account yet I keep getting 'no permission' messages. Not generally but this morning for instance in... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by abrogard, Apr 4, 2018.

1. abrogard Win User

Admin Account But No Permissions To Access Files. Why?

I am logged onto win10 with an administrator account yet I keep getting 'no permission' messages.

Not generally but this morning for instance in IIS.

I couldn't read the log files in IIS.

So I simply went to Explorer and found the log file and tried to look there and couldn't.

I got a message that I'd need admin permissions to view them, did I want to continue? So I said yes and ahead we went, I viewed the files.

Now what's going on that the machine apparently doesn't know I've got admin permissions and then gives me access on the grounds that I have admin permissions and can therefore grant myself admin permissions?

I am trying to restore my machine to where it was before I got a system disk crash and I'm finding all kinds of hassles like this. Something to do with Win10 having been 'updated' since back then and now, I think, maybe.

:)

abrogard, Apr 4, 2018
  2. kjl1956 Win User

Some applications may crash after installing Windows Update KB3132372

I understand you only have one Microsoft account but from what you describe it sounds like permission settings are not allowing access to most of the system.

What I mean is that your account is administrator but file permissions, folder permissions lost there inherited permissions.

What I would try is to make a local user account and see if you gain total access using that profile.

Are you running any other antivirus, firewalls on the pc ?

I had the same issue when win10 was beta creating an admin account did just the opposite and locked me out of most

admin ability.

The local account had access to do everything but was the same issue you describe.

Can you verify the permission settings on the c drive and user folder, not just what your login is setup as.

kjl1956, Apr 4, 2018
  3. Win10 access to folders, files

Can't view, much less access, folders, e.g. AppData, in File Explorer on a new Win10 Home PC. Folders were downloaded from a Win7-style backup of the prior Win10 PC. I am using an Administrator account, and have always had full access using an Admin account.
    Seems like a permission issue, but the files and folders in question indicate Admins have full access. I will appreciate any guidance.

SeanDineen1, Apr 4, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

In a lot of cases its just the UAC set to protect the pc so its a saftey issue were it stops you editing sensertive files until you say you want to run as admin. Some folders are system which is above admin so this stops a user interfering with windows files this is so malware even as admin cant screw up your pc. You can reduce the UAC but its not recomened

Samuria, Apr 4, 2018
  5. abrogard Win User
    well that makes sense, thanks. but it's going a bit too far when you're in IIS as admin and can't even view the log files, isn't it? no setting in IIS to remove that restriction? and my IIS isn't viewable from the web, i.e. from my IP address in my own browser - what I get is my router instead. (though I get my IIS when i input 'localhost') would that have anything to do with this stuff I wonder?

I better learn something about UAC's maybe. I know nothing right now.

abrogard, Apr 4, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    The folder C:\inetpub\logs is owned by SYSTEM and by default your user account does not have permissions there, though the Administrators group does. Although you are signed in with an administrator account, unless you explicitly launch a process with 'run as administrator' you are running everything as a standard user (this is for your own protection as Samurai pointed out).

You were asked if you wanted access and when you said 'Yes' you used your administrator rights to add your user account to the permissions. You should now have all the permission you need to read log files in IIS and should no longer have the problems you had this morning.

These are the default permissions. If you look at the permissions for your log folder you'll find your user account has been added with full control.

Admin Account But No Permissions To Access Files.  Why? [​IMG]

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
  7. abrogard Win User
    Yep. I can view them now from within IIS. And that'll hold true after next boot up? I'll find out soon enough. *Smile

abrogard, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Admin Account But No Permissions To Access Files. Why? - Similar Threads - Admin Account Permissions

2. the admin account’s permissions are broken.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the admin account’s permissions are broken.: on my PC this is by the way the same admin account from my last PC that is tied to my Microsoft account. The reason i know this is in fact the problem is i am trying to get Battle.net the application to run it gets stuck on the log in and fails to load regardless of having...
  3. the admin account’s permissions are broken.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the admin account’s permissions are broken.: on my PC this is by the way the same admin account from my last PC that is tied to my Microsoft account. The reason i know this is in fact the problem is i am trying to get Battle.net the application to run it gets stuck on the log in and fails to load regardless of having...
  4. No Admin access on admin account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Admin access on admin account: On my home PC I can no longer do basic things like extract files, open task manager, power down or restart my pc because it says it has been disabled by an admin and requires administrator to do it. The only user on my pc has administrator privileges I've even checked in the...
  5. No Admin access on admin account

No Admin access on admin account: On my home PC I can no longer do basic things like extract files, open task manager, power down or restart my pc because it says it has been disabled by an admin and requires administrator to do it. The only user on my pc has administrator privileges I've even checked in the...
  6. Admin account that does not have admin permissions

Admin account that does not have admin permissions: My Windows 10 account is an administrator account. Lately when I try to update an app or install a new app, I am prompted that the action cannot be done without administrator permissions. Um, doesn't an administrator account have administrator permissions? This is getting...
  7. Admin account that does not have admin permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Admin account that does not have admin permissions: My Windows 10 account is an administrator account. Lately when I try to update an app or install a new app, I am prompted that the action cannot be done without administrator permissions. Um, doesn't an administrator account have administrator permissions? This is getting...
  8. Admin account that does not have admin permissions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  9. USER ACCOUNT ADMIN PERMISSIONS

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    USER ACCOUNT ADMIN PERMISSIONS: HI, I HAVE BEEN HACKED BADLY AND THE HACKER HAS CHANGED USER ACCOUNT ADMIN PERMISIONS BLOCKING ME FROM HAVING ADMIN ACCESS AND EVEN MY TROUBLESHOOTER IS UNACCESSABLE NOW AS I DONT HAVE PERMISSION TO FIX ANYTHING EVEN THOUGH IM THE OWNER AND SOLE USER OF THIS LAPTOP SINCE I...
  10. Admin Account Aking for Admin permissions.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Admin Account Aking for Admin permissions.: Windows 10 20h2 Im going nuts with this new level of protection. Turned the Uac to the lowest, still im having windows pooping all the time asking for permissions sometimes applications that cant do some actions unless im as admin or copying files to specific folders, its...