Windows 10: Admin accounts

Discus and support Admin accounts in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I'm getting my partner to give me a user account whereby I'll be able to login and install software at will. My questions are: Does this need to be... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Gusgf, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Gusgf Win User

Admin accounts

I'm getting my partner to give me a user account whereby I'll be able to login and install software at will. My questions are:
    • Does this need to be an admin account?
    • Secondly I don't want to see what files she has, that's her business and I know admin level users can see the files for a standard user but can they also view another admin's files?
    • And lastly I've often heard when one is doing normal day to day stuff on their computer they shouldn't sign in with their privileged account. But with UAC enabled if I do only sign in with my admin account what is the harm?

Appreciate your help

Windows 10 Pro

:)

Gusgf, Jun 27, 2020
  2. Vesao Win User

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:

Vesao, Jun 27, 2020
  3. C0zzie Win User
    How to change admin user account name?

ah so main admin account is 'wizzle' which is what I am currently on
    I make another account called 'wizzle2' (with admin rights)
    I sign out of 'wizzle' and sign into 'wizzle2'.
    And once signed into 'wizzle2', then I do the command prompt step and find the SID for 'wizzle' that is listed and go from there?

C0zzie, Jun 27, 2020
  4. Admin accounts

Locked Out of Admin Account

Hello Linda,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Are you using a Microsoft account or a local account?
    2. Which version of Windows 10 you are using currently?
    3. Is the other user account an admin account?

I suggest you to try using the on screen keyboard at the login page and check if you are able to login to the PC.

1. At the login screen click on the
      ease of access icon at the bottom right hand corner.
    2. Click on the on screen keyboard to open it.
    3. Type the password and try to login.

If you are using a Microsoft account, I suggest you to refer the article on

how to reset your Microsoft account password

However, if you are using a local account, then I suggest you to refer the article on

reset your Windows 10 local account password

Note: While performing these steps, there might be a risk of data loss. You may take a backup of the data before performing the steps.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Jun 27, 2020
Thema:

Admin accounts

1. Admin accounts - Similar Threads - Admin accounts

2. Local Admin account settings keep changing

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Local Admin account settings keep changing: Hi There, On some of our computers running Windows 10 the local admin keeps asking for a change of password even though we select the option for the password to never expire. Has anyone else experienced this?...
  3. Deleted Admin Account and accepted the delete files option without realizing it. Can i...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleted Admin Account and accepted the delete files option without realizing it. Can i...: 15 hours ago, i removed the admin account deleted and without noticing the details have also deleted the files linked to it. Afterwards i upgraded to windows 10 pro after entering product key. This morning wheni wanted to open my files they were all empty. I system restore it...
  4. Why is my MS admin account using C: for a home directory after new install?

Why is my MS admin account using C: for a home directory after new install?: After the latest Windows 10 update destroyed my desktop PC, I had to reinstall Windows 10 Pro, I could not rollback the update. I did not have a Windows serial # at hand, so I proceeded using my Microsoft account. After the install I had one administrator account,...
  5. How can I sign into Windows when I disabled admin and my local account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How can I sign into Windows when I disabled admin and my local account: Hello, recently I tried to do something, but it didn’t register my local user because I had a space in it. Because of this, I decided to change my local user using regedit, computer management, and administrator user. After I did this, I used net user Administrator /active:no...
  6. Change Microsoft Admin Account

Change Microsoft Admin Account: I am the admin on my family's laptop, and want to switch it to my mother. My microsoft account was compromised awhile ago, so I changed the email and password on my Microsoft account and the previous email is no longer usable. The problem is that I am not able to sign in to...
  7. Is my Admin user account "Shared"? Or Not? With Whom?

Is my Admin user account "Shared"? Or Not? With Whom?: When I go to PC\Local Disk (C:)\USERS\Admin\Properties\Sharing tab, in the "Network File and Folder Sharing" box, there is a folder icon named, "admin Shared" (Network Path: \\Dell\Users\admin) Below that is a "SHARE" button. If "admin" is "Shared", why is there a "Share"...
  8. User Account Control and Admin Approval mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    User Account Control and Admin Approval mode: In GPedit I set User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval mode to Disable, but that can be change by the User Account Control slider in the User Account Control Settings, how do I disable the slider function or make make the Approval mode read only. It...
  9. admin account issue

admin account issue: When I am trying to run some apps as an admin, the screen keeps freezing and then I get a message "insufficient rights" or "An administrator has blocked you from running this app. Access denied." But I am an administrator and I have only one account on this computer. I cannot...
  10. regarding local admin user account in windows 10

regarding local admin user account in windows 10: Hi Guys, I have prepared a powershell script to create local admin user account and I have planned to push it through Intune. There are totally 700 pc's in my Organisation. I want to know is there any option to have a local user admin account which should be working...