Windows 10: Admin does not have full control Programs folder. Inheritance Greyed

Discus and support Admin does not have full control Programs folder. Inheritance Greyed in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Win 10 Pro 10.0.19042 Build 19042 I am trying to edit a file in Windows Program Files folder. I open file as Administrator, but it refuses to save... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Colink, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Colink Win User

Admin does not have full control Programs folder. Inheritance Greyed

Win 10 Pro 10.0.19042 Build 19042

I am trying to edit a file in Windows Program Files folder.

I open file as Administrator, but it refuses to save changes.

Looking online several suggestions seem to be related to Enable Inheritance (not sure if that is correct solution) - anyway.

First Issue:
    Advanced Security shows 2 Administrators (see screenshot)

1 Admin has full control of Programs File, 2nd Admin (I guess that is me) has Modify rights.

Should I have 2 administrators - if I should have only one how to fix this.

Second Issue:
    I select 2nd Admin and all buttons except View are greyed out (Including Enable Inheritance)
    When click View - everything is greyed out

Suggestions please

:)

Colink, Mar 22, 2021
  2. Colink Win User

Win 10 Pro 10.0.19042 Build 19042

I am trying to edit a file in Windows Program Files folder.

I open file as Administrator, but it refuses to save changes.

Looking online several suggestions seem to be related to Enable Inheritance (not sure if that is correct solution) - anyway.

First Issue:
    Advanced Security shows 2 Administrators (see screenshot)

1 Admin has full control of Programs File, 2nd Admin (I guess that is me) has Modify rights.

Should I have 2 administrators - if I should have only one how to fix this.

Second Issue:
    I select 2nd Admin and all buttons except View are greyed out (Including Enable Inheritance)
    When click View - everything is greyed out

Suggestions please

Colink, Mar 22, 2021
  3. Try3 Win User

Admin does not have full control Programs folder. Inheritance Greyed [​IMG]

"Administrators" {plural} is the name of the group to which all Admin accounts belong. It is not the name of any individual user account.

You do not have two "Administrators" groups. You have two separate entries for the single "Administrators" group. Look in the Applies to column to see why [you'll also see there that System entries are similarly doubled up for that folder].

Denis

4. Nikhar_K Win User

Inherit permission from the parent folder in Windows Server 2012R2

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you want the child folder to inherit the permissions from the parent folder. You can try the following steps and check if that helps:

1. Right click on the folder to which you want to provide permission.
    2. Click on Security tab.
    3. Click on Advanced.
    4. Click on Enable Inheritance and.
    5. Click on Apply and OK.

If that doesn’t help, as you are using Windows Server 2012R2, I would suggest you to post your query in
    TechNet forums, where we have support professionals who
    are well equipped with the knowledge on Windows Server.

Hope it helps.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Mar 22, 2021
Thema:

1. Admin does not have full control Programs folder. Inheritance Greyed - Similar Threads - Admin does full

2. Can't give the file owner "full control" ALL greyed out, inheritance greyed out,...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't give the file owner "full control" ALL greyed out, inheritance greyed out,...: As the title says, every single time I have to delete some Windows 10 bloatware that is bogging down my system, I am faced with this absolute mountain to climb of searching through articles that have no definitive answer. I start at square 1, giving the administrator account...
  3. Can't give the file owner "full control" ALL greyed out, inheritance greyed out,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't give the file owner "full control" ALL greyed out, inheritance greyed out,...: As the title says, every single time I have to delete some Windows 10 bloatware that is bogging down my system, I am faced with this absolute mountain to climb of searching through articles that have no definitive answer. I start at square 1, giving the administrator account...
  4. Can't give the file owner "full control" ALL greyed out, inheritance greyed out,...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Admin does not have full control Programs folder. Inheritance Greyed

in Windows 10 Support
    Admin does not have full control Programs folder. Inheritance Greyed: Win 10 Pro 10.0.19042 Build 19042 I am trying to edit a file in Windows Program Files folder. I open file as Administrator, but it refuses to save changes. Looking online several suggestions seem to be related to Enable Inheritance (not sure if that is correct solution) -...
  6. prefetch folder - have to set it to full control every time

prefetch folder - have to set it to full control every time: I know how to open the folder when it cannot be opened. I set it to full control. The problem is, every time I start my laptop and want to open the folder, I can't. I have to do the same process again set it to full control. How can I allow it to open every time, so that I...
  7. prefetch folder - have to set it to full control every time

prefetch folder - have to set it to full control every time: I know how to open the folder when it cannot be opened. I set it to full control. The problem is, every time I start my laptop and want to open the folder, I can't. I have to do the same process again set it to full control. How can I allow it to open every time, so that I...
  8. Files and Folders Permissions Inherited

Files and Folders Permissions Inherited: So with windows 7, if i had an external drive D:\ with read and execute only permissions for user X, and these permission were inherited from the drive D:\ if user X opened the drive, selected a folder on the drive and right clicked, there would be a UAC symbol by DELETE,...
  9. Full admin control

in Windows 10 Customization
    Full admin control: My computer won't let me set an application to priority using the task manager. I tried using the article called "Task Manager: Access Denied (Setting priority)", it wouldn't let me give full control, it was just grey and I could not select anything after I pressed edit. I...
  10. Controlled folder access is greyed out

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Controlled folder access is greyed out: In the new Fall update there is a controlled folder access option. Which I would much like to use. I think it is meant to be on by default, for at least basic protection.. Mine is both off and greyed out so that I can not turn it on. I've read a couple of random internet...